John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 20/12/2021 at 12:24, The Fun Factory said:

The late Jimmy Greaves used to eat a roast dinner before playing. Didn't harm him much. The tipple with the meal did though.

The players used to pass a bottle of scotch round before going out on to the pitch. At least as recently as Vic Crowe times I know they did. 

On 17/11/2021 at 21:58, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nuances of the position aside, by whoscored heat map data alone McGinn has played defensive midfield two times this season alone.

I think that misses the point somewhat anyway, McGinn is clearly a better asset when he is given license, whether that be from central midfield or a more advanced position. We've seen evidence of that this season, when played in a 3 with Luiz doing the sitting and Ramsey alongside him prepared to do run the hard yards, giving McGinn more freedom to be bomb on and create havoc as he does for Scotland. When he has been asked to play in a midfield 2 in particular, as he has done for most of last season and this, he has looked a shell of his best self.

Smith has, for various reasons either by design or necessity, invariably shackled him throughout his Premier League tenure with his insistence on a 2 man midfield. Whether Gerrard et al will find a way to take those shackles off for the betterment of Aston Villa is TBC, but the potential is there in a 3.

I agree with all that Dave.

My point is the 2 midfielders in the 3 will be much more comfortable and free,  playing with a dedicated CDM as opposed to a DLP as Luiz has been played in the past.

I like to see Luiz further forward too, hence my persistence in signing a CDM.

Marv has come in and staked a claim for that role, but this dastardly injury has scuppered that.......I think we need to sign one.....my guess is, it won't be a marquee signing.

19 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The players used to pass a bottle of scotch round before going out on to the pitch. At least as recently as Vic Crowe times I know they did. 

And Saunders used to have a bottle on the dressing room, table before the players went out. When I heard that anecdote from Morley and Cowans, I have to admit, l was quite surprised, especially when you consider how much of a disciplinarian, Saunders was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

And Saunders used to have a bottle on the dressing room, table before the players went out. When I heard that anecdote from Morley and Cowans, I have to admit, l was quite surprised, especially when you consider how much of a disciplinarian, Saunders was.

The players these days, wouldn’t be able to hack it. Too concerned with Playstation at 11pm and Intergrams to get pissed before a game and get stuck in. Snowflakes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â