John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, tomav84 said:

presumably then all signings made since have been because of our owners and not bruce or deano then?

Primarily, yes. Hence Suso lost his job when our recruitment failed first year back up, but Dean didn't.

Given what we know about how the whole operation of the club changed after the new owners came in, its really odd that the signing of McGinn still gets held up as some kind of proof that a stopped clock is right twice a day.

McGinn literally just gave an interview praising the club and didn't even make a passing comment towards Bruce, while you can bet that Bruce himself would've publicly claimed the credit for signing McGinn by now if there was even a shred of truth about it

20 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Primarily, yes. Hence Suso lost his job when our recruitment failed first year back up, but Dean didn't.

Given what we know about how the whole operation of the club changed after the new owners came in, its really odd that the signing of McGinn still gets held up as some kind of proof that a stopped clock is right twice a day.

McGinn literally just gave an interview praising the club and didn't even make a passing comment towards Bruce, while you can bet that Bruce himself would've publicly claimed the credit for signing McGinn by now if there was even a shred of truth about it

Suso wasn't appointed until the following October. 

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Suso wasn't appointed until the following October. 

Literally no one said otherwise 😂 but the fact he lost his job whereas Dean didnt tells us a fair bit about how our approach to transfers changed when the new ownership came in. I suspect Bruce knew his days were numbered by the time McGinn joined tbh

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

49 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

He signed after the new owners came in, its frankly insane that anyone still thinks Bruce had anything much to do at all with us signing McGinn

NSWE’s investment in the club began on 20 July 2018 and McGinn was signed on 8 August. 

Are you seriously suggesting that the entire transaction for SMG’s transfer was done in those 19 days and that NSWE immediately started recruiting players over Bruce’s head in that period, before even Purslow was in post?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

NSWE’s investment in the club began on 20 August 2018 and McGinn was signed on 8 August. 

Are you seriously suggesting that the entire transaction for SMG’s transfer was done in those 19 days and that NSWE immediately started recruiting players over Bruce’s head in that period, before even Purslow was in post?

You could well be right in which case I'll hold my hands up as having my dates wrong - but our transfer business that summer has always struck me as being very different to what came before

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

You could well be right in which case I'll hold my hands up as having my dates wrong - but our transfer business that summer has always struck me as being very different to what came before

Sorry, there was an error in my post. I meant to say NSWE’s investment started on 20 July 2018, hence the reference to 19 days before McGinn signed. But it’s hardly plausible they came in with such detailed knowledge of Scottish football that their first act was the rapid recruitment of SJM without reference to the current manager! They spent most of their first year at the club concentrating on easing out Tony Xia.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

In which case I would stand by my earlier post that Steve Bruce's involvement in the signing was minimal at best

So you believe that in their first 19 days at the club nswe scouted and signed mcginn all over Bruce's head? 

Just now, tomav84 said:

So you believe that in their first 19 days at the club nswe scouted and signed mcginn all over Bruce's head? 

I've never once said it was over his head, just that it's unlikely McGinn was a Bruce signing in the same way much of our other business had been until the new ownership came in. I don't believe for a second that John McGinn is at this football club primarily because of the efforts of Steve Bruce and firmly believe his role in the transfer will have been minimal. As I stated previously, I strongly suspect that Bruce knew he was on his way out of the club by the time McGinn joined.

And FWIW, I think 19 days is ample time for new owners with good advisors around them to bring in a very highly rated footballer, its not like he was signed from the Austrian second division

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I've never once said it was over his head, just that it's unlikely McGinn was a Bruce signing in the same way much of our other business had been until the new ownership came in. I don't believe for a second that John McGinn is at this football club primarily because of the efforts of Steve Bruce and firmly believe his role in the transfer will have been minimal. As I stated previously, I strongly suspect that Bruce knew he was on his way out of the club by the time McGinn joined.

And FWIW, I think 19 days is ample time for new owners with good advisors around them to bring in a very highly rated footballer, its not like he was signed from the Austrian second division

Seems like a contradiction to me. If a signing is not a manager's signing, then it's technically over his head

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one mate. Even Bruce's biggest critics have credited him with that summer's signings. Up to you if you refuse to acknowledge it

54 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

SJM will be having turkey, stuffing, cranberry, cheps and gravy sarnies this Christmas and he doesn't care one jot.

Oh no he won't.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Another Great On-Topic Pointless Argument. © 2021 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

There are so many unsupported assertions here it’s hard to know where to begin.

So I won’t bother to begin! 🙂

Â