John McGinn

PompeyVillan

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Didn't miss him against Man Utd tbf.

I think you could argue that we did in the first half. The point I was driving at was not only his stats but most importantly his character. Sometimes people forget you need characters in a team. The joker, the captain, mr sensible, mr aggressive etc... Teams aren't just built around numbers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Man United are apparently going to try and sign McGinn in the summer according to the Telegraph. Must be like the 500th time they're going to try and sign him

image.jpeg.3e1ae06a193f7bd5d0a24f08fd6c994a.jpeg image.jpeg.98457a5d056d569f6ed541257e2f70b4.jpeg Who do they think they are and why would he want to go? :rant:

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

if he wants those wages, i would offload him, he's good, but not that good.

He's better than Ings, and currently more influential than Digne and Coutinho.

I would agree he probably isn't someone I'd be paying monstrous money to purely for him as a player, can imagine the squad would be pretty upset to lose him though.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's better than Ings, and currently more influential than Digne and Coutinho.

I would agree he probably isn't someone I'd be paying monstrous money to purely for him as a player, can imagine the squad would be pretty upset to lose him though.

Why do we care what he'd like to be earning? He's got 3 & 1/2 years left on his contract. He'll be nearly 31 when his contract expires and if we were to open talks about an extension it would be in 2 years time. 

Are we trying to sell another player for not being 'good enough'. We haven't finished in the top 10 in the last decade, I think some are getting delusions of grandeur.

McGinn is an important player who we can get another few years out of. We shouldn't consider selling players to teams that are better than us. 

• Like 4

Must keep. 

Bizarre story anyway, the days of Utd lording it over teams are long gone. We will sell him if we want to but they will pay through the nose if we do which I dont see them doing. 

I know the table doesnt agree but I think we are better than them on paper now anyway. 

2 months ago I genuinely thought that JJ should be going out on loan and might not make it back.  But he was immense in the second half against Man Utd.  And honestly if he plays like that more often than not - then it will not be long before he gets McGinn's place in the first XI.  A lot of ifs and buts in that statement I know.  But JJ has a more complete game than McGinn (or at least one more suited to the way it looks like we will be playing) - and once / if he nails it he could end up being on a different level.  It has taken me a long time to get to that opinion because I thought the JJ hype was being overblown - but he's really showing glimpses under Gerrard.  It will not happen overnight and there will no doubt be some frustrations along the way but by this time next year I think JJ has the shirt.  That said if / when we sign a new CM that allows McGinn to play a bit further forward and do his high press (at which he is really, really good) then I expect to see his performance levels jump because he's not being played in the best way at the moment.

Seems from interviews that Gerrard is a big fan of McGinn, can’t see him going anywhere. 

It’s nice to have a bit of continuity around the squad and I think he is more than good enough for where we are. 

I hope he stays forever 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, allani said:

2 months ago I genuinely thought that JJ should be going out on loan and might not make it back.  But he was immense in the second half against Man Utd.  And honestly if he plays like that more often than not - then it will not be long before he gets McGinn's place in the first XI.  A lot of ifs and buts in that statement I know.  But JJ has a more complete game than McGinn (or at least one more suited to the way it looks like we will be playing) - and once / if he nails it he could end up being on a different level.  It has taken me a long time to get to that opinion because I thought the JJ hype was being overblown - but he's really showing glimpses under Gerrard.  It will not happen overnight and there will no doubt be some frustrations along the way but by this time next year I think JJ has the shirt.  That said if / when we sign a new CM that allows McGinn to play a bit further forward and do his high press (at which he is really, really good) then I expect to see his performance levels jump because he's not being played in the best way at the moment.

Loving JJ but he is a very different player to SJM imho. I too was, last summer, hoping to see him playing in the championship and getting 30+ starts but it looks like he will get those with us now. I think they work well together in a midfield alongside a DCM ( come on down Yves!! Subject to the rape charges being cleared of course 🤪).

Two from four out of SJM, Sanson, JJ and Dougie is a really good place to be, with Bissouma/Zakaria (hopefully) behind and Marv as back up.  Question is: do we let one of them go (lots of interest potentially in Luiz and he has yet to sign a new contract as I understand it) to create a space for Chukie to get regular game time and would we need to in order to get him to sign a new contract/convince him to stay? Probably need to unless we can secure European games?

But SJM would be the last one I would let go and certainly not for the £40m that the press keep discussing!

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just gone onto the Red Cafe forum and they've started a thread on John McGinn. It's only a page and a bit so far, but it made me chuckle.

Poster1: Why does this club have to sign English players?

Poster2: Ignorant post, he's Irish.

Poster3: Northern Irish!

Do the Scottish FA know about this? They may have some serious complications in the future if they keep trying to play him in international games. I am surprised nobody has mentioned it to them

• Haha 1

Hmmm……

The club won’t want to sell, not just because we don’t want to lose him, but also because it says to the world we are a selling club and attracting ambitious players becomes much more difficult.

If he makes it clear he wants to go, then it’s about extracting as much £’s from United as possible.  If he goes for less than £55m - £60m, that sends a similar message as to our ambition.

25 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Hmmm……

The club won’t want to sell, not just because we don’t want to lose him, but also because it says to the world we are a selling club and attracting ambitious players becomes much more difficult.

If he makes it clear he wants to go, then it’s about extracting as much £’s from United as possible.  If he goes for less than £55m - £60m, that sends a similar message as to our ambition.

The most important factor is if Gerrard would prefer to have the extra financial power in the transfer market that selling SJM would give us. The money would effectively be all profit as he cost so little. 50m profit would enable Gerrard to spend about 200m on transfers when amortised. Every single club sells players, it is what they do with the funds we receive that influences perception. Selling SJM and upgrading could be viewed as a very positive thing as opposed to us being a selling club

• Like 1

Paid 2 million for him. We can quite easily just keep him until his contract runs out when he’s nearly 31. Unless a Man U want to make a ludicrous offer.
If he runs it down, he will get a massive payday as his “last contract” and at 31 and we will have had his best years.

Either way we win.

Edited by pas5898

5 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

I love McGinn but if a big offer comes in I’d be tempted to sell and give Carney more gametime

Completely different roles and types of player. We would struggle to get another 8 with an arse like McGinn's.

Â