John McGinn

PompeyVillan

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

The start of the season he was damned good. Then he started struggling with a knock that later required surgery. I am prepared to accept that as a reason for the drop in performance and expect him to come back firing. I am not going to criticise a Villa player who was playing through an injury as shit.

If he comes back and does not perform by the end of the season, then fair enough. At this point, some of the criticism he is getting is laughable.

Nobody is asking you to criticise him but I'm not sure it's been confirmed that he was playing through an injury or not. 

Regardless, I don't think any reasonable posters have called him 'shit', just expressed doubts about his performances this season - which you've acknowledged yourself as not being up to his usual standard. 

9 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

The start of the season he was damned good. Then he started struggling with a knock that later required surgery. I am prepared to accept that as a reason for the drop in performance and expect him to come back firing. I am not going to criticise a Villa player who was playing through an injury as shit.

If he comes back and does not perform by the end of the season, then fair enough. At this point, some of the criticism he is getting is laughable.

What criticism has been 'laughable'?

He has not had a particularly good season thus far, anyone with a functioning set of eyes and brain can see that. I know it's sacrilege for some to suggest this but it's absolutely the reality. He started quite well and pretty much nosedived form wise after the Burnley home game. 

The 'struggling with injury' theory has not been proven at all. It was more of a case of him struggling with the pace and struggling with his own fitness. His fitness is not up to par.

He has not taken to this level particularly well given he was such a key and standout player for us last season, end of story. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has not had a particularly good season thus far, anyone with a functioning set of eyes and brain can see that. I know it's sacrilege for some to suggest this but it's absolutely the reality. He started quite well and pretty much nosedived form wise after the Burnley home game. 

The 'struggling with injury' theory has not been proven at all. It was more of a case of him struggling with the pace and struggling with his own fitness. His fitness is not up to par.

He has not taken to this level particularly well given he was such a key and standout player for us last season, end of story. 

Oh, OK then. Entirely his fault. What do you suggest?

End of story? Best get rid then. Wonder if we can get our £3m back.

John McGinn's fitness not up to par. I have heard it all now. :crylaugh:

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

How you can jump to that conclusion from my post is a startling piece of incomprehension. 

So, what do you suggest? You said he is not up to it, and then added "end of story" so clearly that must be it.

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Oh, OK then. Entirely his fault. What do you suggest?

End of story? Best get rid then. Wonder if we can get our £3m back.

John McGinn's fitness not up to par. I have heard it all now. :crylaugh:

This honestly reads like you're hyperventilating. 

Nobody is saying we should sell him. Relax. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

So, what do you suggest? You said he is not up to it, and then added "end of story" so clearly that must be it.

I'm suggesting, as is crystal clear from my post, that he hasn't taken to this level that well, that he has quality and fitness issues that he needs to iron out and improve on. I'm suggesting nothing more or nothing less than this. The fact that you jump to the idea that I'm saying he should be sold is completely down to your total lack of comprehension. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That he has failed to step up to this level.

He stepped up to this level faster than anyone else in the squad and then his form dipped.

It was a strange drop in form as he looked so good. Seemed like one of those where we later learn he had some kind of personal or off the field issue. Anyone know if he’s got some off the pitch problems?

It was clear before McGinn’s injury that he needed a rest but as another poster pointed out, an under power McGinn is still better than what Villa currently have in midfield.

I’m in no doubt therefore that when McGinn comes back again after a rest he will be firing on all cylinders.

Villa have missed him.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3

Â