John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He'd be an improvement, but the truth is he wasn't playing well before his injury. Maybe the time out means he comes back rested and firing like he was last season. Otherwise, he's just another player who hasn't sufficiently made the step up.

Of course we'd be *less* shit if he was playing though.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 07:15, HanoiVillan said:

He'd be an improvement, but the truth is he wasn't playing well before his injury. Maybe the time out means he comes back rested and firing like he was last season. Otherwise, he's just another player who hasn't sufficiently made the step up.

I would argue he wasn’t playing well for the own standard he had set early on. He was still a big presence for 70 minutes or so. Need him back so badly. 

On 13/01/2020 at 07:15, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, wouldn't be making a significant difference IMO, he has not stepped up to this level.

Remember when we all thought he was too good to be sold for 50m to United with the summer rumours :D

Incredibly average season by him. Dissapointing he didn't kick on much this year. I also hate the amount of popshots he takes from outside the area. So unnecessary and just turns over possession in semi-dangerous areas.

• Like 1

He was out of form before his injury but to write him off as a premier league player just because of that is ridiculous, he started off the season very well and more than showed that he was good enough for this league. One of our best two or three players.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, useless said:

He was out of form before his injury but to write him off as a premier league player just because of that is ridiculous, he started off the season very well and more than showed that he was good enough for this league. One of our best two or three players.

And that shows just how poor our midfield has been that he still looks one of the best. But he hasn't reached anywhere near the heights that we thought or hoped he would. He hasn't looked a stand out player and on this seasons form, I don't know how many teams midfield he gets into. Still early days though and there's a lot of potential for him to be good 

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, problem is people have a 3 game memory.  I’ve seen Grealish get similar criticisms this season.

The 3 game memory seems to be applying to the people who said he was good at start of the season. After that he hasn't been very good and very average.

Edited by Bugzy1991

Right, so John McGinn is an anti VT player then. Usually players get better and better when they are out, but McGinn who is a bloody good player is now apparently shit.

Have a word with yourselves people.

Anyone thought that he may have been playing through his injury and that had a bearing on his performances?

• Like 2

At the start of the season, and it was after more than a few games, many people, both on here, and fans of other clubs were saying that he looked the better player than Grealish, I disagreed with that because I had a vision for how good Grealish was going to be, which turned out to be true, but that so many others were saying that he was better than Grealish back then shows you how well he was doing. Even when his form dipped just before his injury, he was nowhere as bad as some were making out.

8 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

The 3 game memory seems to be applying to the people who said he was good at start of the season. After that he hasn't been very good and very average.

He was fine until November when signs of fatigue and alleged minor injury he was carrying kicked in.

With regards to the 3 game memory thing, take a look through the Hourihane thread and see how many times he’s been both awful and an integral part of the team.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

At the start of the season, and it was after more than a few games, many people, both on here, and fans of other clubs were saying that he looked the better player than Grealish, I disagreed with that because I had a vision for how good Grealish was going to be, which turned out to be true, but that so many others were saying that he was better than Grealish back then shows you how well he was doing. Even when his form dipped just before his injury, he was nowhere as bad as some were making out.

I remember early season, possibly just a specific user, saying Grealish needed to be dropped

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Is the any news on his progress ?

SJM Super healing powers kicked in just minutes after the tackle and went on to make a full recovery recently scoring a Hat trick for Barcelona!.. 

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Right, so John McGinn is an anti VT player then. Usually players get better and better when they are out, but McGinn who is a bloody good player is now apparently shit.

Have a word with yourselves people.

Anyone thought that he may have been playing through his injury and that had a bearing on his performances?

The performances were what they were, Stag - not really good enough and not what we expect from McGinn.

He's certainly not shit but he's not been 'bloody good' this season either.

Hopefully he'll be not be rushed back and can take the time to get back to full fitness because on his day he can be a game-changer. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The performances were what they were, Stag - not really good enough and not what we expect from McGinn.

He's certainly not shit but he's not been 'bloody good' this season either.

Hopefully he'll be not be rushed back and can take the time to get back to full fitness because on his day he can be a game-changer. 

The start of the season he was damned good. Then he started struggling with a knock that later required surgery. I am prepared to accept that as a reason for the drop in performance and expect him to come back firing. I am not going to criticise a Villa player who was playing through an injury as shit.

If he comes back and does not perform by the end of the season, then fair enough. At this point, some of the criticism he is getting is laughable.

Â