John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

This could be best thing for us.....Jack carries us through the season and McGinn comes in and like 2 new signings saves us from relegation.  A fit, fresh, new player with his energy for the final, crucial games is immense for us

FFY 🙂

• Like 1

He needed a break, not the way we would have wanted it but the last 5 or so games of the season I think we'll see the absolute monster we knew from last year. The guy was burned out. You can't play the way he does for 90 mins every game along with him trying to prop Scotland up. Fans were calling for him to get a rest before the injury. Long term, it could be a big deal on his career for the best because no doubt he'd carry on playing 90 mins every time for us if he didn't break his ankle. He stepped up moving to the Championship, rinsing him every week in another huge jump up to the Premier League might have ruined him long term. 

I don't mean to be dramatic but plenty of us saw a McGinn that was still knackered from last season after the euphoria of the start of this season wore off. Maybe he's also slightly off the pace naturally but he was anonymous for a good while in the main before he got injured. 

I'm drunk and waffling. My point is that this injury is hopefully a secret blessing and he comes back re-filled with energy. Plenty of time to make an influence. 

• Like 1

He wasn't in good form the last few weeks, but he didn't look burned out to me. I think it's a bit of a myth. He covered every blade of grass, every week. For Villa and Scotland. 

He will undoubtedly come back and score a worldy within 15 minutes. Assist the winner in the 89th. It's written in the stars.

• Like 3

But what I don't understood is this... When approaching a first team return following serious injury, can a player get fully fit again just from playing some reserve/U21 games? Or do they need to then have several first team starts before reaching 100% fitness again?

I guess he needs to take it easy in the first reserve/U21 games he plays in, then step it up a bit in the next and then in the last one before returning to the first team, actually play like he does in the first team in a PL match (even though the match and players around him won't be PL intensity).

3 minutes ago, robby b said:

But what I don't understood is this... When approaching a first team return following serious injury, can a player get fully fit again just from playing some reserve/U21 games? Or do they need to then have several first team starts before reaching 100% fitness again?

I guess he needs to take it easy in the first reserve/U21 games he plays in, then step it up a bit in the next and then in the last one before returning to the first team, actually play like he does in the first team in a PL match (even though the match and players around him won't be PL intensity).

I suppose it depends on the individual, I do t recall Jack ever having a game for U21s on return to the team 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I suppose it depends on the individual, I do t recall Jack ever having a game for U21s on return to the team 

I get your point but from memory Jack looked completely shot after an hour or so for the first few games after his return, and whilst he works hard his game isn't as much about work rate as it is with McGinn. 

I be surprised if he didn't get a few games in with the kids before we see him in the first team tbh. 

Â