Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

I'd be happy for him to stay but at the moment he his our 3rd choice keeper and at 28 he needs to be playing therefore I think he will be sold.

Currently Jed is first choice, deservedly, but I think come the start of the season Kalinic will be the one between the sticks.

Sarkic third choice. And Bunn nowhere to be seen. Praise be.

• Like 1

Sorry but I feel that Nyland was very good for us. Nyland was learning in a defence that was totally not working, a midfield that was not connecting, so yes of course Goals would go in. I feel he is a keeper that was made as a scapegoat for things going wrong. Fans didn't half give him some abuse, yet Nyland made some excellent saves that could of easily seen us down in games, with a loss.

I do think that Nyland had fast distribution, very good diving and knew where to be, I think it was the defence, midfield that worked against Nyland. If Nyland had of played in the Defence we played to go on to win Promotion, I do actually think he would of been ace for us.

I would like to see him play again for us, hope he fights for a place, I think he had alot of attributes that some of our other keepers had not got.

• Like 1

Let in some weak goals, was at times flappy in the field. But his distribution was terrific. He also improved under the new reign, and had a few point winning games. So, I think there might have been more to come from him. I've seen both Steer and Kalinic be just as flappy. Yet Nyland seem to be the fall guy. 

• Like 2

I would be happier if this guy wasn't on our books. He was responsible for a lot of the goals we conceded early last season and fills me with zero confidence. If he was younger and still learning I'd be happy to give him a chance but he's in his prime and so needs to go IMO. 

In terms of natural ability Nyland and Kalinic are both much better than Steer but Jed is just so much more confident. If the aforementioned can increase their confidence playing behind a higher quality and settled defence then there is hope for both of them.

I have seen a lot of Cardiff and Etheridge is not that good. He has had a good couple of years when luck, confidence and form have been on his side. I hope the days of Villa buying form players with no real substance have gone. I would much rather we worked with what we have.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have seen a lot of Cardiff and Etheridge is not that good. He has had a good couple of years when luck, confidence and form have been on his side. 

Ah, but haven't you understood how this works yet. New players we spend a lot of money on > our current players, even if they are in-form.

Grass is ALWAYS greener. 

• 1 month later...

I see he is back training with the squad now. 

I think last year his confidence got knocked very early doors and he never recovered. Be interesting to see if Cutler, Smith et al can get his confidence back and if he can improve. 

He clearly has some ability as even when struggling last yr he made some good saves. 

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think last year his confidence got knocked very early doors and he never recovered. Be interesting to see if Cutler, Smith et al can get his confidence back and if he can improve. 

He clearly has some ability as even when struggling last yr he made some good saves. 

I'll only be interested to see it if it's on loan at another club!

Edited by praisedmambo

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

There might be a keeper in there somewhere...

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

He made some horrific howlers and some works class saves ... I’d be happy to have him as number 2 and sell steer if it meant we could sign Butland personally. Neil Cutler will be working hard with him and there a useful keeper inside somewhere. 

52 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He made some horrific howlers and some works class saves ... I’d be happy to have him as number 2 and sell steer if it meant we could sign Butland personally. Neil Cutler will be working hard with him and there a useful keeper inside somewhere. 

Steer has just signed a new contract... 

He isnt perfect but he was saddled with Jedinak in front of him at the start then few other makeshift defensive pairings, he has definitely got ability but his confidence I think is too easy to break

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Steer has just signed a new contract... 

Protecting an asset and also  if we sign Butland say and he is told he is number one , a club comes in for Steer and offers him first team football then I can see him going .... 

Â