Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

On 29/05/2018 at 09:05, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before on here, but given I was having the discussion in another thread (a couple in fact) I thought I'd start a dedicated one to save those going off topic (couldn't find a similar thread, apologies if it exists).

So I've always been sympathetic to Vegetarianism even though I've never been one myself, and never thought I could because I eat (ate) a lot of meat. 
But recently I've been cutting down my meat consumption, both consciously and unconsciously, whilst simultaneously feeling stronger and stronger about becoming a vegetarian.

I have a couple of good friends, one vegan friend especially, who are vegetarian so I've probably been influenced by them. Plus I've been researching more and more into it (see the documentaries thread).

So I'm basically at the position where I think vegetarianism is right but I just haven't made that cut off.  I only eat meat with my evening meal these days and even then it's only 3 or 4 times a week, so it shouldn't be a massive deal.

I'm close, I might do a 1 month trial of it and see how I get on, but I thought a discussion would enlighten me. So VT... convince me (either way).

I went from a massive meat eater, to vegetarian to vegan (which I am now), if you need any advice... let me know. My instagram is full of delicious shots of my vegan food :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not a Vegan, nowhere near, but I struggle to understand those with an extensive list of veggies they don't like. 

I'm no master chef, but I can find ways to make most vegetables interesting. 

I guess I feel these folk are missing out. But they know they are not, because of their dislike. 

I guess, for me food is inextricably linked to travel. And I find that exciting, whether it's vegetarian or not. As such, I'll mostly try things I'm not sure I'll like. I've drawn the line at insects and snakes and stews with mashed up goat. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Does a balanced diet NEED to involve meat or something? 

Not at all but it seems like a lot of people who go Vegan or Veggie do so because they feel better for it. Without doing any research I struggle to understand why a diet that consists of meat or dairy now and again is any more unhealthy than one that doesn't? (Intolerances aside of course)

Edited by AVFCDAN

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah.  I'm not buying that a vegan has a healthier diet than a non veggie with a well rounded diet.

A lot of vegans will 100% argue that it is true. My OH (not an actual Vegan but heading in that direction) has thousands of reports and websites bookmarked to this effect. 

Edited by choffer

I think the diet argument is just that people with a bad diet tend to eat a lot of meat based food. So if they go veggie they're naturally tempted towards healthier foods.

That's obviously a generalisation, because you can have a much healthier diet that includes meat than an unhealthy diet that doesn't. But I think in broad terms it's probably true.

But ultimately having a healthy diet doesn't matter one bit if meat is included or not. Everyone should have a balanced diet, whether they eat meat and/or animal products or not

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

A lot of vegans will 100% argue that it is true. My OH (not an actual Vegan but heading in that direction) has thousands of reports and websites bookmarked to this effect. 

Written by vegans?

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Written by vegans?

Sorry - subtext of my reply was too well hidden. 

The point I failed to make was that on both sides, you can find a plethora of evidence in support of whichever side you are on. There are "incontrovertible facts" peddled by both sides of the argument which are incompatible with the other side. Bit like politics or football - you can always find facts to back up your argument. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Are there any goat recipes that don't involve curry? 

The only time I've eaten it was in a restaurant just slow cooked, pretty much like any other meat and it was delicious.  In fact I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Vegetarian but;

Have 3 pairs of leather shoes and one leather jacket, 2 belts. Maybe the odd suede accent on my trainers, but it’s probably fake leather. Maybe 1/2 a cows worth?

I expect them all to last at least 10 years and all bought before I decided to stop eating meat. Haven’t been in the position to think about it yet but I’d consider buying leather in the future, if I knew it was going to last. There’s far bigger fish to fry (pun not intended) I think.

Again it depends on individual reasoning as to if it’s ok or not.

Edited by a m ole

Â