Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Just now, a m ole said:

If you’re in the US your chicken, pork, fish etc could very well have been fed by a product bulked up by rendered cow corpses. Not sure about other countries.

The last bit was an attempt at humour :P  I eat fish anyway, so I definitely eat carniverous animals, probably even cannibalistic ones.

• Like 1

I see all the arguments about giving up meat and it seems like a jolly good idea so I thought I'd consider it. Better for the planet, better for the animals and supposedly better for my health. 

I decided to do a Pro's and Con's list. Started with 'Con's' and all I managed was 'no Bacon' before I realised just what a stupid idea it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

How about with children? Is it wrong to impose that lifestyle choice on them? But I guess that works both ways, giving them eat meat or not.

Genuine question again by the way.

That's a tough one, particularly because me and the better half are considering fostering, so we'll have social services getting involved not just other nosy parents.

In principle, considering the shit diet most kids in this country have, I don't see anything wrong with raising a kid on a balanced vegan diet, and I wouldn't be willing to hide where their food comes from.

Hard to say how easy it'd be though, with **** Happy Meals and everything being shoved in their face at every opportunity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I didn't.

I thought it was a pretty obvious point that Paddywhack was making to be honest. I think you've misread something.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

... Spinach... It's not some sort of childish predjudice...

It's not prejudiced, because when we were kids spinach served UK Sunday lunch style was shit.

That's not the fault of the vegetable though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

How does that even come up in conversation in the first place though?  You must be volunteering it, looking for a reaction.  An entrapment conversation ;)

hehe, surprisingly, it comes up quite a lot, especially when going out for dinner. 

Putting aside welfare, Beef consumption in the US is the biggest issue environmentally, the waste they produce and how it is disposed of, the water and food needed to sustain them and land required to keep them.

You could make a huge dent in startvation around the world by diverting soy grown for cattle to humans, such is how inefficient beef production is. That’s surely enough to think we should be massively cutting down on beef, as tasty as it is.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

How about with children? Is it wrong to impose that lifestyle choice on them? But I guess that works both ways, giving them eat meat or not.

Genuine question again by the way.

My children will be vegetarian til they are able to choose for themselves. I will make them very aware of what they are actually eating and that a burger isn't just a burger, so to speak. If they still want to eat meat after that, fair enough. (I wouldn't cook it at home though). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

My children will be vegetarian til they are able to choose for themselves. I will make them very aware of what they are actually eating and that a burger isn't just a burger, so to speak. If they still want to eat meat after that, fair enough. (I wouldn't cook it at home though). 

I think that's fair. I wonder how many people would choose to eat meat having being raised like that.

• Like 1

One of friend's veggie friends was raised like that and was always told he had the total freedom to eat what he wanted when he was older, but he's never bothered with meat. You can't miss what you've never had I suppose. It's always a tough one though, as I hate it when religion is imposed on kids. 

Exact reverse in our family. Our grandaughter (vegan parents - currently, but I hope and expect it's a fad) is omnivorous until she's old enough to choose otherwise. Grandma's house, grandma's rules. 

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

One of friend's veggie friends was raised like that and was always told he had the total freedom to eat what he wanted when he was older, but he's never bothered with meat. You can't miss what you've never had I suppose. It's always a tough one though, as I hate it when religion is imposed on kids. 

Same, but I guess you can view this scenario both ways, with the meat eating being the religion haha.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Exact reverse in our family. Our grandaughter (vegan parents - currently, but I hope and expect it's a fad) is omnivorous until she's old enough to choose otherwise. Grandma's house, grandma's rules. 

I kind of lean towards that being the correct way to do it, in my own eyes of course.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Same, but I guess you can view this scenario both ways, with the meat eating being the religion haha.

Well, it's a bit different in that impositions tend to involve some form of limitation or restriction, like NO MEAT, or THIS IS YOUR GOD,  and if you have no restrictions, the kids can still choose, but as ever kids are pretty beholden to whatever gets served up at home

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought it was a pretty obvious point that Paddywhack was making to be honest. I think you've misread something.

Obviously inconsistent. The weirdness is either absolute or relative (it doesn't make sense if it's suggested to be, in the present, relative to some proposed future).

I asked him why it was weird and he didn't explain that other than to say just because it wasn't the norm, it didn't stop it from being so and then to ask me to consider some future world where someone looking back would think it was weird (because they didn't do it).

None of that answered the question why he implied in his post that it is weird. :)

Edited by snowychap

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Obviously inconsistent. The weirdness is either absolute or relative (it doesn't make sense if it's suggested to be, in the present, relative to some proposed future).

I asked him why it was weird and he didn't explain that other than to say just because it wasn't the norm, it didn't stop it from being so and then to ask me to consider some future world where someone looking back would think it was weird (because they didn't do it).

None of that answered the question why he implied in his post that it is weird. :)

I think you're taking it far too seriously than it was intended.

But I'll let him explain it to you.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

None of that answered the question why he implied in his post that it is weird.

This is so far from the point I was making in my original post. Now we're just discussing what the word weird means. :lol:

The 100 years in the future thing is from Simon Amstell's film 'Carnage'.

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My wife has been a vegetarian her entire adult life. When we had our two daughters she always gave them a balanced diet (including plenty of meat) and never once imposed her own views on them.

They both ended up vegetarian anyway and they came to their own conclusions in a natural way without any coercion.

As for me, I continue to fly the blood spattered carnivore flag in the house alone ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â