Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

The world turned vegetarian says hi

yes, but that was the point I was making about 'rice'

there's going to be methane, we can eat the rice or we can eat the cows, something somewhere is gonna be farting

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think the main reason vegans lose weight is because they struggle to find anything worth eating.*

*Just a joke vegans, don't come after me! 

Joking apart, one of my ex work colleagues was vegan, and she piled the weight on. Basically, she ate a load of chips and sugary stuff (which kind of supports your theory). She actually lost weight when she went back to being omnivorous. 

Going back to my earlier argument, it only really works if you actually do like that kind of food. If you don't, it's just an exercise in self-flagellation for guilt trip reasons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

what the world would look like if everyone in China and India and Africa all decided that they also wanted to eat 25 kilo's of chicken per capita per year.

There is evidence that this is exactly what is happening in many developing countries; meat eating is seen as a proud badge of newfound middle class status. 

I am reminded of something Legov pointed out in the religion thread ages ago, about Christianity being the hip, trendy religion in Malaysia, while Buddhism is seen as stodgy and old hat. Whereas, the exact reverse is true in the west. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Then again, there's the Atkins Diet. 

I'm not advocating it (no bread or chips with my steak? **** off!), but it's not as simple as saying meat = obesity and veganism = weight loss. 

I don’t think anybody is saying that to be fair. 

People are just pointing out that going veggie/vegan has helped THEM be more healthy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Then again, there's the Atkins Diet. 

I'm not advocating it (no bread or chips with my steak? **** off!), but it's not as simple as saying meat = obesity and veganism = weight loss. 

Not for all, but for me it was. I tried every diet under the sun, so much exercise, eating good portions, nothing dropped. Within 2 months of dropping meat my energy levels were high and j was losing weight. So it might not work for all, but it did for me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dick said:

Not for all, but for me it was. I tried every diet under the sun, so much exercise, eating good portions, nothing dropped. Within 2 months of dropping meat my energy levels were high and j was losing weight. So it might not work for all, but it did for me.

Have you checked that you are actually not a goat?

Maybe you are a goat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, the news I take away from that, is it appears semen is ok for vegans to eat.

Where did you think we got our protein from? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Seitan is vile. I'd rather eat decent food made out of veggies than meat substitutes tbh

I've tried to make it at home a couple of times and it's always been shit. These people know what they're doing though, I was pretty impressed. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Joking apart, one of my ex work colleagues was vegan, and she piled the weight on. Basically, she ate a load of chips and sugary stuff (which kind of supports your theory). She actually lost weight when she went back to being omnivorous. 

You make a good point Mike in that it's easy to become a 'junk food vegan.'

These days there are many meat alternative and vegan replacement foods on the market. However most of them are packed with the so called 'tropical oils' like canola and palm oil which are essentially empty calories. Personally it's a challenge to not eat these convenient pre-packaged foods and to find the time to prepare fresh healthy meals. It's always a time factor living and working in a city.

Palm oil plantations in South East Asia have also destroyed the natural habitat of lots of wildlife including the endangered orangutan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

These days there are many meat alternative and vegan replacement foods on the market. However most of them are packed with the so called 'tropical oils' like canola and palm oil which are essentially empty calories. Personally it's a challenge to not eat these convenient pre-packaged foods and to find the time to prepare fresh healthy meals. It's always a time factor living and working in a city.

Palm oil plantations in South East Asia have also destroyed the natural habitat of lots of wildlife including the endangered orangutan.

So what your saying is people don’t eat meat for ethical reasons and then eat something made from Palm oil instead :) 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

So what your saying is people don’t eat meat for ethical reasons and then eat something made from Palm oil instead :) 

May as well just have an orangutan burger!

Edited by TheAuthority

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Have you checked that you are actually not a goat?

Maybe you are a goat.

Might explain why I keep getting told off for eating clothes from my neighbours washing line.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I make everything fresh ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It’s a good point. A girl at work is a new vegan and she basically just eats potato because she can’t really be bothered to cook a proper meal when she gets home. 

I’ve literally asked her if she thinks her new veganism has made her more unhealthy and she happily admits it has. But the principle of it means more to her. 

As I said earlier, you can have an unhealthy diet no matter what your persuasion is. 

Â