Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

• 3 months later...

Screenshot2023-05-05at12_22_57.thumb.jpg.6bcf5649606fe5f442a507f4af8376dc.jpg

Lab-grown beef and chicken have drawn attention as a way to sidestep the environmental toll of farming and tackle concerns over animal welfare, but few companies have forayed into seafood.

Israel's Steakholder Foods has now partnered with Singapore-based Umami Meats to make fish fillets without the need to stalk dwindling fish populations.

Umami Meats extracts cells - for now from grouper - and grows them into muscle and fat. Steakholder Foods then adds them to a 'bio-ink' suited for special 3D printers. The outcome: a narrow fillet that mimics the properties of sea-caught fish.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/dished-up-by-3d-printers-new-kind-fish-fry-2023-05-03

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 14:01, rjw63 said:

As an aside, they are having a sprog this week, possibly Thursday, making me a grandfather :o. That's all fine and dandy but...

They don't want to get married, ever, for some reason. I haven't asked, not my business. So...they have decided to change BOTH their surnames so all three of them can have the same name.

Appreciate this is a very old post but i've only just seen it 😂

But this is exactly what myself and my OH did. We didn't want to get married, had a kid on the way so we both changed our names so the sprog would also have the same name. Though, we did get a "civil partnership" instead of getting married. 

Also we're not vegan, but we are vegetarian. So maybe there is something to it :D

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Appreciate this is a very old post but i've only just seen it 😂

But this is exactly what myself and my OH did. We didn't want to get married, had a kid on the way so we both changed our names so the sprog would also have the same name. Though, we did get a "civil partnership" instead of getting married. 

Also we're not vegan, but we are vegetarian. So maybe there is something to it :D

We went the double barrelled route for our child as I have no intention of getting married. We are also not veggies

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My wife is vegetarian. Today I felt really disturbed by a pile of blue crabs still alive in my local Asian grocer. I could see the little fellows' eyes looking at me. I dunno. It just hit sort of hard. I've also found myself feeling really sad about chickens. I think when you pick one up and feel how they are as warm as kittens, I dunno. They are lovely animals. I've tried vegetarian and vegan eating before and sometimes do very well, but then I fail. I can eat fish no problem, but I seem to draw a line with arthropods. They just seem so sentient to me. Have you read Consider the Lobster? Maybe it's time I try again to do a vegetarian diet.

Still, after all the abstract intellection, there remain the facts of the frantically clanking lid, the pathetic clinging to the edge of the pot. Standing at the stove, it is hard to deny in any meaningful way that this is a living creature experiencing pain and wishing to avoid/escape the painful experience. To my lay mind, the lobster’s behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My wife is vegetarian. Today I felt really disturbed by a pile of blue crabs still alive in my local Asian grocer. I could see the little fellows' eyes looking at me. I dunno. It just hit sort of hard. I've also found myself feeling really sad about chickens. I think when you pick one up and feel how they are as warm as kittens, I dunno. They are lovely animals.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, so decided upon here.

A vegetable based alternative to Palm Oil BBC

A Scottish research team believe they may have produced the "holy grail" alternative to palm oil.

It is estimated that almost half of all food and cosmetic products on supermarket shelves contain palm oil.

The huge demand has led to significant deforestation in areas where oil palm trees can grow near the equator.

Food experts at Queen Margaret University (QMU) in Edinburgh say their new 100% plant-based ingredient is 70% better for the environment.

And with 80% less saturated fat and 30% fewer calories, they are also hailing PALM-ALT as a significantly healthier option.

Catriona Liddle, one of the lead developers on the QMU team, said: "It's the holy grail to replace it and still have exactly the same end result in product - to taste the same and have the texture the same - and we've done that.

"We've put it through some special sensory testing to see if a panel can tell the difference between our product and traditional palm shortening, and they can't."

The new PALM-ALT product is described as having a mayonnaise-style consistency.

It is palm and coconut-free and has no added flavourings, sugar, sweeteners, preservatives or colourings.

It is made from a by-product from the linseed industry, plus natural fibre and rapeseed oil.

Palm oil remains the world's most-produced vegetable oil, accounting for 40% of the total, according to the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).

It is hugely popular with food and cosmetics firms because it is so useful. Odourless, tasteless and colourless, it does not alter the smell, taste or look of products.

Instead, it adds a smooth texture, and works as a natural preservative. And it maintains its properties under high temperatures, also making it ideal for cooking with.

It is used in everything from chocolate to shampoo, pizza, toothpaste and deodorant.

If a product says it has Palm Oil, I don't buy it. Its a personal decision due to deforestation to aid its cultivation. I suspect if you are an ethical vegetarian, you are probably of the same mind.

This alternative is a linseed by product. Flax is currently grown in asia, so a change over to Flax, unless I am missing something, will just change the plant and not the end result of the deforestation.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

Â