Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can you get a muscly vegan?

I'm working on it! I've packed on a few kg of muscle in the last 6 months without any animal products. Still weak as hell, but I'm getting there.

There's a couple of guys that work out at my gym that are vegan (it's not some kind of weird vegan gym, it's coincidence :P ) that are genuine bodybuilders - they strip themselves down and fake tan themselves on stage, the whole deal. One of them was already shredded as hell before, but the other one has packed it all on solely on a vegan diet.

They're almost certainly benefitting from a bit of the old Vitamin S, but so are most omni bodybuilders. 

Edited by Davkaus

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Can you get a muscly vegan?

I think it would be tough to have a really high protein diet as a vegan. But there are plenty of Vegan protein products out there (I've checked!) so definitely possible.

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm working on it! I've packed on a few kg of muscle in the last 6 months without any animal products. Still weak as hell, but I'm getting there.

There's a couple of guys that work out at my gym that are vegan (it's not some kind of weird vegan gym, it's coincidence :P ) that are genuine bodybuilders - they strip themselves down and fake tan themselves on stage, the whole deal. One of them was already shredded as hell before, but the other one has packed it all on solely on a vegan diet.

They're almost certainly benefitting from a bit of the old Vitamin S, but so are most omni bodybuilders. 

I find it hard to believe steroids are vegan

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I find it hard to believe steroids are vegan

I've never had to give it much thought. Turns out there's a lot of muscly people on vegetarianbodybuilding.com discussing it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it would be tough to have a really high protein diet as a vegan. But there are plenty of Vegan protein products out there (I've checked!) so definitely possible.

I'm sure whey protein is or can be vegan. Mostly those shakes taste like crap to me, but someone determined enough could use it. 

Fwiw i spent a good 6 months eating Heul (check it out) for breakfast and whenever I needed a convenience meal at home. I got bored of it, but some folk go wild for it. It's not a protein powder btw, it's meant to be a meal replacement, I wouldn't dream of a full Huel diet. 

1 minute ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm sure whey protein is or can be vegan.

...whey is a milk byproduct?

There are plenty of alternatives though. I've tried plain pea and hemp protein, which both taste like the shavings off someone's feet.

My Protein do a few flavours of Soy Protein that aren't completely hideous. 

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm sure whey protein is or can be vegan. Mostly those shakes taste like crap to me, but someone determined enough could use it. 

Well actual whey protein can't be, as it's a by product of making cheese.

But yeah there are vegan alternatives. You can buy vegan protein shakes that aren't quite as good, but would still do the job.

You could argue that we are all potentially hypocrites, because we all draw a line somewhere, one side of which is acceptable, and the other not. At one extreme, you could argue that if you eat meat, you may as well go all the way, and be a cannibal. Or that you shouldn't eat animals unless you kill them yourselves. Going the other way, if all animal life is so sacrosanct, you should never kill insects, or even bacteria, as they have a 'right' to live. Of course, all this is reductio ad absurdam. In practice we draw that line... somewhere. Often, it comes down to emotional issues - we don't like killing dogs and cats, because we find them cute and cuddly. Some of us feel the same way about horses, cows and rabbits. Some don't. I'm a modern city dweller, never lived on a farm. But as a kid I used to go shooting with my cousin, and I learned to skin a dead rabbit at the age of nine. Could I kill a chicken for the pot? Or a sheep, or a pig, if the only alternative was living on fruit and veg? Don't love the idea, but I suspect I could. Of course, I don't have to - like most of us I delegate that task to agri-business. It's the way it is. Does it bother me? A little, but not all that much. Hyprocrite? Sure. But who isn't? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

most is vegan now anyway, usually wine is the culprit.

thing here is assuming everyone’s principles are the same. it is funny how people like to catch us out, as if having a glass of fish gut champagne undoes all the other good.

Exactly. Not looking for a pat on the back but you get this weird hostility from people who end up eyeing your shoes suspiciously.

• Like 1

I was a HUGE meat eater, and I never ever thought I could give up meat. I found it easy, and I've now gone months without eating any. I do feel better for it, and as a whole my diet has improved massively. It's weird because I really used to gorge on food, but now I just feel more content even if I'm still peckish. My appetite is still there, but I don't feel the need to keep eating for the sake of it. I was just sick of seeing videos of the shit these animals go through just to feed our need for meat. Also a lot of the meat we eat is not that healthy. I've gone from having two takeaways a week to maybe having     one every 2-3 weeks, if not longer.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I've been vegetarian nearly 20 years now. When I made the change, the improvement in my health was dramatic.

Couldn't be vegan though, because cheese. But I feel bad about that, as the treatment of animals in the dairy industry is nearly as awful as in the meat industry.

I'd struggle with that too. Yes, I've read a few things which shocked me about the dairy industry. 

I really enjoy some veggie food, like goats cheese tarte, Caesar salad (without chicken), pine salad, jacket potatoes, 3 bean chilli & loads of others.

And I'll often choose them over a burger or anything else on the menu.  

That said, I love a good duck, steak, pork, lamb, haggis or fish dish.  

What I don't like (and feel very guilty for having), is processed, cheap food from huge corps like Maccies, kfc, cheap pub meals etc.  I know a meal which costs me 2 for 10 or whatever can't possibly be from a good source and a good quality. 

I enjoy both worlds, but I am an omnivore. 

Could easily go veggie though.

This thread has made me think, so I'm cutting back my meat intake.

I won't go veggie; I like meat too much but I'll try to stick to only eating meat one meal a day :)

I've been vegetarian for 30 years now, and have drifted into a vegan diet without really trying, or consciously thinking that it was a vegan diet I had. The smells from meat and dairy really put me off putting them in my mouth, plus the industries themselves are off putting. It's difficult to avoid meat and dairy, with all the by-products etc, difficult to live an everyday life without rubbing shoulders with death and misery. Diet-wise it wasn't too difficult to stop eating meat and dairy once I had committed to the ethics of it all. I also started seeing meat as muscle, subcutaneous tissue and skin, for example looking at a slice of bacon. Ye it all tasted nice but felt very wrong, eating my fellow mammals. I don't preach about vegetarianism/veganism, but I do get a lot of stick when refusing to eat meat etc.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Whatever happened to just having a balanced diet?

What do you mean?

Omnivores/Vegetarians/Vegans can and should all have a balanced diet.

Â