Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I wrote it that way, because I was trying to be discussion based, not argument based :)

I think killing animals for humans to "use" - whether for food or footwear or furniture or whatever is ultimately, obviously killing creatures for our benefit when it could be argued we have no need to. It's harmful (cruel) to the animals, to the planet and to us in most part, too. That's kind of fact, really.

Whether we collectively or individually view that as OK or wrong is another issue. I guess the majority of people sort of turn a blind eye and just don't think about it. Others pay more attention perhaps and will generally, when they do, reduce or eliminate their meat consumption, or choose organic or free range - modify their consumption to be less involved in the cruelty as they percieve it.

what's your view on killing animals just to smoother them in caramel sauce ? :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The standard of some meats is shocking, especially pork. I really went off pork, and that was the first meat I gave up. 

mmmmmmm pork . if  Ambrosia was the food of the (hippy tree hugging ) Gods, Pork Knuckle was the food of the double hard bastard Gods like Ares and Perses

Roast-Pork-Knuckle.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm always tempted at BBQs, or even today when the bloke I was working with had burger and onions from the snack bar. Reality is, I can't ever see myself eating meat again. The thing is, there are great alternatives out there which I really enjoy. Veggie sausages, and burgers taste really good. The Quorn peppered steaks hit the point too. It's all about choice though. I still cook my kids bacon sarnies, and wouldn't dream of turning all activist over it. It was a gradual thing with me seeing these poor sods suffer for my benefit. Then one day, I was like **** that. Maybe I might move onto the diary industry at some point and try and tackle my love for dairy, but one step at a time. Animals have feelings, they feel pain, and they know fear. What we inflict on them is barbaric and damn right cruel. My last meal on death row was always going to be a mega mixed grill. Now I'd ask paul if his wife could drop in a few of her boxes of sausages, and burgers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm always tempted at BBQs, or even today when the bloke I was working with had burger and onions from the snack bar. Reality is, I can't ever see myself eating meat again. The thing is, there are great alternatives out there which I really enjoy. Veggie sausages, and burgers taste really good. The Quorn peppered steaks hit the point too. It's all about choice though. I still cook my kids bacon sarnies, and wouldn't dream of turning all activist over it. It was a gradual thing with me seeing these poor sods suffer for my benefit. Then one day, I was like **** that. Maybe I might move onto the diary industry at some point and try and tackle my love for dairy, but one step at a time. Animals have feelings, they feel pain, and they know fear. What we inflict on them is barbaric and damn right cruel. My last meal on death row was always going to be a mega mixed grill. Now I'd ask paul if his wife could drop in a few of her boxes of sausages, and burgers. 

they've done away with the last request death row meal in many states , so chose your U.S state wisely when you go on your Charles Manson type spree

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

what's your view on killing animals just to smoother them in caramel sauce ? :D

:)

That would be hideous.....

....you'd need to protect the creatures with a pastry casing, surely?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

:)

That would be hideous.....

....you'd need to protect the creatures with a pastry casing, surely?

Ahh , some  form of cunning disguise to make you think it was a pudding for example ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The only thing they are good for, IMHO

And a slice in Hendricks Gin.

Not the same one that has been up a chuff, mind you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry folks, I've undone all the good work by having a jumbo battered sausage tonight (insert K Williams jpeg)

It tasted horrible so I can only assume whatever animals were involved (I can't be sure) they led a horrible life of being abused and tortured.

The chicken pie was delicious though. 

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't understand your point here at all, Snowy

It was the connection between the two sentences in that same para but as we're largely in agreement on the rest of things and it's a lovely summer evening with drinking to do and cricket highlights on, I think we can not worry too much about any minor issue. :)

• Like 1

Then again, there's the Atkins Diet. 

I'm not advocating it (no bread or chips with my steak? **** off!), but it's not as simple as saying meat = obesity and veganism = weight loss. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone would say veganism is the only true route to enlightenment (geddit?).

But it is a way of raising your consciousness of what you are eating and why, So it's a route to being more mindful of the whole system, your system, the food industry and what the world would look like if everyone in China and India and Africa all decided that they also wanted to eat 25 kilo's of chicken per capita per year.

This thread is edging me more in to the veggie side of things again. Which feels good.

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Then again, there's the Atkins Diet. 

I'm not advocating it (no bread or chips with my steak? **** off!), but it's not as simple as saying meat = obesity and veganism = weight loss. 

I think the main reason vegans lose weight is because they struggle to find anything worth eating.*

*Just a joke vegans, don't come after me! 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think anyone would say veganism is the only true route to enlightenment (geddit?).

But it is a way of raising your consciousness of what you are eating and why, So it's a route to being more mindful of the whole system, your system, the food industry and what the world would look like if everyone in China and India and Africa all decided that they also wanted to eat 25 kilo's of chicken per capita per year.

This thread is edging me more in to the veggie side of things again. Which feels good.

Presumably the methane creating paddy fields currently killing the planet would reduce and balance out the damage being done by the new found love of KFC  :P

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably the methane creating paddy fields currently killing the planet would reduce and balance out the damage being done by the new found love of KFC  :P

1,500,000,000 cows say hi!

Edited by chrisp65

Â