Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Give me a preaching vegan over a "You don't eat meat!? Pwahaha, what's wrong with you?" type person any day of the week. You're the one chewing the pigs belly mate, I'm not the weird one.

I can confirm i've seen/experienced WAY more of this than veggies trying to preach.

The comments I get from people when I tell them I've never eaten meat is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

The comments I get from people when I tell them I've never eaten meat is ridiculous. 

How does that even come up in conversation in the first place though?  You must be volunteering it, looking for a reaction.  An entrapment conversation ;)

As for being veggie.  I don't think I could.  I don't eat it all the time, but it's a part of my diet like most things.  I do however try to eat only vegetarian animals, so there's that I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Give me a preaching vegan over a "You don't eat meat!? Pwahaha, what's wrong with you?" type person any day of the week. You're the one chewing the pigs belly mate, I'm not the weird one.

Why is eating the pig's belly 'weird'?

All you have done here is reversed the nonsense.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I can confirm i've seen/experienced WAY more of this than veggies trying to preach.

It's not particularly suprising that your experience is this way around given that you have been vegetarian for all of your life, is it?

To a certain extent (much as to the extent that someone who isn't vegetarian would likely remember more incidents of comments from vegetarians about eating meat tahn the other way around), it's a sort of confirmation bias.

Edit: No, confirmation bias isn't what I was looking for. Availability heuristic, perhaps?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Im not against vegetarians at all but veganism is crazy it just a waste of food if we were all vegans what would happen to all these animals on farms?  

They wouldn't exist.

We wouldn't just keep on farming animals if nobody was eating them :) 

Just now, snowychap said:

Why is eating the pig's belly 'weird'?

It's not unusual, it's the norm. Doesn't stop it from being weird.

Imagine a world 100 years from now where nobody eats meat. They'd think we were proper weird. I mean...a pigs belly!? 

(it is tasty though)

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

It's not unusual, it's the norm. Doesn't stop it from being weird.

Imagine a world 100 years from now where nobody eats meat. They'd think we were proper weird. I mean...a pigs belly!? 

(it is tasty though)

So it's the norm but it's still weird because if it's not the norm in 100 years' time, it'll be weird?

Erm ... okay. :D

Somewhat facetious point, but for the hardcore of veganism/vegetarianism, is there a hierarchy of creatures, or an acceptable level of harm? Because the process of living is more or less inescapably one where creatures are harmed. Farming is devastating for various insects, either through direct combating of pests or through the basic requirement of working the land and harvest, and has been damaging to the environment and ecosystem. Repeat for everything.

Would it be ok to eat insects?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, but this sort of patronising comment really pisses me off. I get vegetarians telling me that they find the thought of eating meat nauseating, and how much they love a tasty veg curry. Fine, I believe them. I'm happy for them. I don't start telling them that their palates are unsophisticated, or that they aren't trying hard enough to give devilled kidneys a chance. No amount of dressing it up is going to make me enjoy eating a plate of spinach or spring greens. It's not some sort of childish predjudice, I'm not pretending, I just fecking hate the stuff - can't you understand that? 

I fully accept the animal cruelty arguments, I fully accept the health arguments. What I won't have is "But how can you possibly not like yummy greens?" 

As someone said upthread, food is to be enjoyed, it's one of life's great pleasures. I can eat a vegetarian meal every now and then, and it's - at best - OK. It never gets remotely near the enjoyment of eating a meal involving meat, fish, eggs, or dairy produce. Not within a million miles. The thought of spending what's left of my declining years living like that is too depressing to contemplate. 

it’s how it comes across. I love the taste of good meat. I smell a barbecue or a roast and I miss it. I agree it’s weird the other way around.

You said “can’t you understand that?”... no, not really. I’m not fond of a small number of foods, kidney smells like piss and pâté smells like farts for example, but when I ate meat I just swerved those things. It astonishes me that anyone could flat out ‘not like vegetables’

Does that include all the onion, tomato etc that flavours 95% of meat based dishes?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

How many vegetarians / vegans stick to their principals when it comes to drinking alcohol?

most is vegan now anyway, usually wine is the culprit.

thing here is assuming everyone’s principles are the same. it is funny how people like to catch us out, as if having a glass of fish gut champagne undoes all the other good.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

So it's the norm but it's still weird because if it's not the norm in 100 years' time, it'll be weird?

Erm ... okay. :D

I mean, you totally just changed what I said, but yeah whatevs :thumb:

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Somewhat facetious point, but for the hardcore of veganism/vegetarianism, is there a hierarchy of creatures, or an acceptable level of harm? Because the process of living is more or less inescapably one where creatures are harmed. Farming is devastating for various insects, either through direct combating of pests or through the basic requirement of working the land and harvest, and has been damaging to the environment and ecosystem. Repeat for everything.

Would it be ok to eat insects?

again it totally depends on the individuals view, there’s not one rule.

same goes for meat eaters, cow - fine, chicken - fine, deer - fine but think about bambi, dog - HOW CAN YOU EAT THEM YOU SCUM

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Genuine question.  What do vegetarian/vegan cat and dog owners feed their pets?

My cats eat meat. They're obligate carnivores, so I give them what they need. I got them while I still ate meat though. I don't think I'd ever get carnivorous pets once these two are gone, as much as I love cats. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My cats eat meat. They're obligate carnivores, so I give them what they need. I got them while I still ate meat though. I don't think I'd ever get carnivorous pets once these two are gone, as much as I love cats. 

How about with children? Is it wrong to impose that lifestyle choice on them? But I guess that works both ways, giving them eat meat or not.

Genuine question again by the way.

38 minutes ago, BOF said:

How does that even come up in conversation in the first place though?  You must be volunteering it, looking for a reaction.  An entrapment conversation ;)

As for being veggie.  I don't think I could.  I don't eat it all the time, but it's a part of my diet like most things.  I do however try to eat only vegetarian animals, so there's that I suppose.

If you’re in the US your chicken, pork, fish etc could very well have been fed by a product bulked up by rendered cow corpses. Not sure about other countries.

The industry is grim, more pressure should be put on them by meat eaters and non meat eaters.

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

How about with children? Is it wrong to impose that lifestyle choice on them? But I guess that works both ways, giving them eat meat or not.

Genuine question again by the way.

People will raise their kids in accordance with their own beliefs /values (just like religion). A friend of mine's wife is vegan but he's not. They give their kid meat / dairy but I imagine not as much as some families would. 

• Like 1

Â