18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Can't wait till Grealish and Tuanzebe returns so this myth that everything will be turned upside down will finally be exposed.

There will be no more excuses when they return and i am looking forward to it.

Would you not rather we win every match until the end of the season and go up automatic?

I'm looking forward to that.

If we are still involved about April and hit form then i think we go up. I always feel teams hitting the play offs with momentum are difficult to stop. Fulham last season and i remember Palace, Blackpool do it previous

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

Me too, but I'm hopeful we're still close enough that an(y) upturn in form will see us back in the race.  Football can change very quickly as we know (usually for the worse).  But it does need a change.

It can. And you so often see a team get it together at the end of the season and that last run of form carries them into the playoffs.

I just can't see that team being us unfortunately. I think too many people have pinned their hopes on Grealish and Tuanzebe coming back.

I think our issue are bigger than that.

Obviously I very much hope I'm wrong!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just can't see that team being us unfortunately. I think too many people have pinned their hopes on Grealish and Tuanzebe coming back.

I agree we have bigger issues. The team isn't even passing out from the back any more, which I hold Smith responsible for as well as the players.

The difference between us now and the way we were playing in November is so vast though. I think we could find a higher-middle ground and still go up.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

We'll win a lot more when we have consistently start games with our best players, and if we don't, then is the time to ask questions of DS. IMHO. 

I dont think Grealish has ever played a full season...and next season wont be here at all.

So sooner or later a manager is going to have to win games without him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I dont think Grealish has ever played a full season...and next season wont be here at all.

So sooner or later a manager is going to have to win games without him.

I doubt anyone will pay the release fee without him having had a full season free of injury. DS can win games without him, but needs the summer window - will be almost a complete squad overhaul. As others have said though, now feels the time we get those injured back and start to put something together. Wouldn't put it past us. 

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

I doubt anyone will pay the release fee without him having had a full season free of injury. DS can win games without him, but needs the summer window - will be almost a complete squad overhaul. As others have said though, now feels the time we get those injured back and start to put something together. Wouldn't put it past us. 

Still think JG could force a move without the release fee being met. Sure he is under a binding contract - but we have seem time and time again a player move because he wants to go.

Yes I do believe we will have a squad overall - but the quality of in comings v out goings is going to be a tough task - in order of probability we lose Abraham, Grealish, Mcginn - be a tall order to replace those.    

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Still think JG could force a move without the release fee being met. Sure he is under a binding contract - but we have seem time and time again a player move because he wants to go.

Yes I do believe we will have a squad overall - but the quality of in comings v out goings is going to be a tough task - in order of probability we lose Abraham, Grealish, Mcginn - be a tall order to replace those.    

There is no chance JG will be here next year. He will force a move and probably go for less than the release fee. There will be a mass exodus in the summer and we have a very small budget too. I expect next seasons squad will be very weak

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

There is no chance JG will be here next year. He will force a move and probably go for less than the release fee. There will be a mass exodus in the summer and we have a very small budget too. I expect next seasons squad will be very weak

Stop trying to gee me up with the positivity fella. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It can. And you so often see a team get it together at the end of the season and that last run of form carries them into the playoffs.

Obviously I very much hope I'm wrong!

Too many mediocre players on whopping salaries, many of whom will be leaving soon. I don't think Grealish and Tuanzebe will make much difference to us. Mid table mediocrity all the way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Except Jack and maybe McGinn. A mass exodus is required and has been for 5/6 years

Though i bet somehow Hutton remains 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The looking of next season doesn’t look so good if we don’t go up this season. But its not the end of the world either.

We would miss the opportunity of having Jack with us as with him and around him we could build a quality team around him and he’s one of our own. When are we producing anyone like him?

We have a good chance of keeping Abraham if we’re up wether permanently or as a loan.

Buying players up there is easier and also the quality of players we’ll try to invest in will be better.

Many would say we might go down but in reality if I asked our fans to name the best players who played for us lately then many of them would choose much of the team that relegated thanany other season. But our luck always tricky, as we had a proper gem but without a proper keeper or defence or even a proper striker. Had we have Benteke and Vlaar that season with a proper manager, we would have build a team.

Its not easy just to say we are or we aren’t one man team. Its just a case of how some players are game changers. We’re still scoring even after Jack, but the approach of other teams are different, the know we need to do hard to score which gives them a bit of confidence to attack. Something which they were afraid of whenwe had Jack. It also frees up the likes of El Ghazi and potentially Green. We’re still seeing El Ghazi passing by players. But he finds a wall against him yet with Jack it frees some space from him. Same goes with other players.

When we were a one man team we managed to survive three seasons on row. Yet when we had a promising team we relegated. Its how to build the team around the spine of the team.

We need to know that the proper quality players are: 

Jack, Abraham and McGin.

I’d say arguably that also El Ghazi, Chester, Tuanzebe and Kodjia are fine options (although Tuanzebe seem to be the most defender who could build the play and fits Smith tactics). We have another two who have some potential but still needing time as Green and Davis. But apart from that every other player is average.

Kalinic starting to perform well, Mings look promising, the guy from France looks interesting although not for this season. House is a bit disappointing.

If Mings could fill his boots and change our defensive form. And we could get our best player back soon, we might have a chance but it seem we need wins now as we’re playing our opponents from now on. If we’re still only could of points from playoffs we might have a chance when we have Jack and Axel again. Can’t think of Sheff Utd game, really nervous about it.

7 hours ago, KHV said:

See I think the opposite. We really have not had a good season this year barring when Smith first came. The rest of the season has been pretty shite. 

Next year I think we will see more exciting football energy and more dymanic football. One thing I don't like about this existing villa team is we rely too much on one or two players.  The top sides don't. They duxtion as a team. Despite Leeds recent woes they picked up many many injuries and continued winning games. 

As soon as grealish gets injured we fall apart. Sorry but if you want to be successful you need a collective team of players not one great player holding it together. 

Norwich sold their best player and look at them now. Superb Side. 

19 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

, if we fail to get 6th with this squad then I am afraid Dean Smith deserves the sack imo.

Wow, really??? Why do some of our fans have such a shortsighted view of how the club should be managed? 

8 hours ago, KHV said:

We have the perfect manager for the task then.

58 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Shortsighted??

This squad is more than capable of reaching 6th.

Would you agree?

No. IMO we are, on the whole, an imbalanced squad of average Championship players irrespective of past reputations and playing levels. Obviously we have a few gems e.g JG, JM and TA but the overall squad ability standard is about right for where we are in the league and clearly demonstrates the previous poor recruitment of aging players coupled with naive neglect of the correct mix of player types. 

Smith simply must be given time to develop his own squad of players with a view to a sustainable strategy of play that will result in promotion. 

• Like 1