18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

feeling very despondent with it all today - cant help but think it's all over for us in terms of promotion. the west brom last min goal, the capitulation vs leeds, the awful performances vs preston and qpr. i honestly see that as min 7 points dropped (if we're being generous and giving leeds a point). christ we were a pen save away from **** it up vs swansea too. i can see us looking back at the festive period in may as to where it all went wrong. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Merson08 said:

Thought for the day: If games were decided by teams that scored the first goal, Villa would be top of the league with an 11 point gap. 

Last season we very rarely dropped points when took the lead. Problem was we rarely got points if went behind. 

Anyone missing Bruce yet? ;)

9 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I still feel like we'll more than likely make the playoffs, but the automatic spots are gone bar an insane run of form.

Insane is the word. 

To get the points tally of last season's 2nd place team (90) we'd need 52 points from 20 games. 2.6 PPG

Or a minimum of: 17 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses / 16 wins and 4 draws.

It aint gonna happen. And to be honest it's been a while since it was a realistic possibility, imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Insane is the word. 

To get the points tally of last season's 2nd place team (90) we'd need 52 points from 20 games. 2.6 PPG

Or a minimum of: 17 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses / 16 wins and 4 draws.

It aint gonna happen. And to be honest it's been a while since it was a realistic possibility, imo.

Whilst I agree that it won't happen I don't think 90 points will be the target. More like mid 80s.

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I still feel like we'll more than likely make the playoffs, but the automatic spots are gone bar an insane run of form.

Losing Tammy really hurts but we'll still keep scoring, we just need to stop turning leads into 2-2 draws ffs.

If we play like we have the past 3 games we will be nowhere near playoffs.

We've missed the chance for top two now. If we'd won the last three we would have been in with a chance of the league still but we've missed our chance. 

We need to ensure top six is guaranteed with a could of games to go so that we can rest a few key players before the play-offs. 

Obviously i want us to do well and win as many games as we can, I hate it when we lose.

But....The logical side of me doesn't really want to get promoted this season, I think we need the rest of this season and pre season to bed in DS's system and style, replace quite a few players and get them firing etc, and really develop in to an exciting possession based team.

If all goes well I can see us being something quite impressive next season, and hopefully get promoted with a proper team playing in a proper fashion, how we were last season and at times this season we would get totally battered in the prem, at least giving another 12 months to get the new coaching And management team settled in properly, as well as the players they want to play the system they want, is logically probably the best thing.

We have tried and failed to do it fast and rough, now let's do it right :P

If not, well then it will just feel like the previous 10 years for me :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Obviously i want us to do well and win as many games as we can, I hate it when we lose.

But....The logical side of me doesn't really want to get promoted this season, I think we need the rest of this season and pre season to bed in DS's system and style, replace quite a few players and get them firing etc, and really develop in to an exciting possession based team.

If all goes well I can see us being something quite impressive next season, and hopefully get promoted with a proper team playing in a proper fashion, how we were last season and at times this season we would get totally battered in the prem, at least giving another 12 months to get the new coaching And management team settled in properly, as well as the players they want to play the system they want, is logically probably the best thing.

We have tried and failed to do it fast and rough, now let's do it right :P

If not, well then it will just feel like the previous 10 years for me :P

And then there's Wolves

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And then there's Wolves

Granted, but they were a much better team last year than we were or are currently, which is why I mean hopefully next season we can be at a similar level.

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Granted, but they were a much better team last year than we were or are currently, which is why I mean hopefully next season we can be at a similar level.

Don't go up and we will be extremely lucky to replace Abraham next season with someone who scores as many at this level. We need to take advantage of his goals whilst we have him. 

Fundamentally as we all know it's that ridiculous start frim bruce that has cost us. As always ww having to play catch up.

Anyone noticed the last three seasons we have started absplutely dreadful. Not one of those seasons have we started well.

I think that is the main reasons we are where we are. Hopefully next year we can actually have a half decent start.

Bruce should have lame a manager he was. Couldn't have had a easier start yet only manages a couple of wins.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

As I've been pontificating in the Abraham thread, I think people are very much overstating the likelihood of making the playoffs. And of course, you have a roughly 75% chance of failing even if you make them. 

It depends on getting Grealish back soon, getting a few decent players in and getting back to winning ways. None of which are far fetched. In fact, I think all are quite likely. We just need one or two less errors per game and we win the vast majority and climb the table.

No guarantees, but Im still confident.

I'm impressed with the speed at which changes are being made this window - this makes me think a LOT of work has been put in behind the scenes for some time, and I fully expect us to get the players we need to get to the play-offs - rather than mucking about at the end of the window like in the summer.