18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Think I read earlier we've dropped 12 points from winning positions under DS - now if he had a back 4 not composed of an injured CB and x3 average RBs, we might just be challenging for automatics. 

See Brentfords stats re loosing points from winning positions last season (no team dropped more)

We have players that are considered quality in this league however for this DS side we are lacking a few things that shows signs that we are in need of a rebuild.

I dont think FFP is a major problem for next season.

I think defensively we need a pair of strong athletic centre back that are reasonably okay with the ball in possession.

Our full back position on both sides are key because ideally we want good defenders however we need full backs that can contribute to our fluidity on the ball and attack.

I'm going to use the word fluidity again.

I think without Grealish we lack that sophistication and fluidity in midfield to set up attacks.

During the course of this and the summer transfer window,  we need 2/3 CM that are more tactically aware on the ball, know what is required of them with regards to movement, creating space, with a good 1st touch. 

Promotion will not happen this season because we are not ready and we cannot rely on this transfer window to fix everything.

DS is a thinker and he obsesses with the fine details of this game. 

I would love for him to have his additions ready for pre-season next summer buying into his philosophy seeking to tear this league to shreds next season 

• Like 1

Autos were long gone before this game and continue to be so. We are still well in the mix for playoffs and one dodgy result against Preston doesn’t change that. We looked disjointed and it is no massive surprise with Grealish and half the defence missing and Bikir not fully fit (and THAT goalie), playing for 3rd time in a week. We need reinforcements next month and frankly we need the fixtures to slow down as it is clearly taking a toll (Chester is still carrying an injury). I trust Dean to get it right.

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

We are still well in the mix for playoffs

5 points behind 6th now, even playoff is starting to get a big gap on us.

Another loss and top 6 winning and we are suddenly 8 points off top 6. If we don't start winning games soon, we're in big trouble.

9 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I wouldn’t say that we’re in big trouble if we don’t make the playoffs.

The table is a reflection of where we are currently as a footballing team. 

More patience is needed as Fans.

Yes we are.

Our owners are spending alot of money and if we miss out on that prem money we might get in more trouble with ffp.

It's also depressing to me to see how this season is turning out. For months now we've been talking about automatic promotion, now not even making top 6 is a real possibility.

11 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We have players that are considered quality in this league however for this DS side we are lacking a few things that shows signs that we are in need of a rebuild.

I dont think FFP is a major problem for next season.

I think defensively we need a pair of strong athletic centre back that are reasonably okay with the ball in possession.

Our full back position on both sides are key because ideally we want good defenders however we need full backs that can contribute to our fluidity on the ball and attack.

I'm going to use the word fluidity again.

I think without Grealish we lack that sophistication and fluidity in midfield to set up attacks.

During the course of this and the summer transfer window,  we need 2/3 CM that are more tactically aware on the ball, know what is required of them with regards to movement, creating space, with a good 1st touch. 

Promotion will not happen this season because we are not ready and we cannot rely on this transfer window to fix everything.

DS is a thinker and he obsesses with the fine details of this game. 

I would love for him to have his additions ready for pre-season next summer buying into his philosophy seeking to tear this league to shreds next season 

Not saying youre wrong - but how do you know this ?

9 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I wouldn’t say that we’re in big trouble if we don’t make the playoffs.

The table is a reflection of where we are currently as a footballing team. 

More patience is needed as Fans.

Depends what you mean by trouble. The liklehood is that we start next season in the championship without Grealish, Abraham, Axel . First two are amongst the best players in the championship IMO.

On 28/12/2018 at 15:00, rubberman said:

New keeper + a couple of reinforcements in Jan then who knows... Looking at the rest of the season I'd worry about Leeds and Stoke away. No reason we can't win all the rest. Obviously highly unlikely that we will, but taken individually you'd fancy us going into them. 

No doubt this'll look foolish after a dodgy result tomorrow but I'm in an optimistic mood. 

That aged well. 

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We are where we are for a reason

Agreed, thankfully we fecked him off a few months ago. 

The graphic below is a wonderful reminder of why we are where we are and the prat responsible for it. 

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

7FECDA40-87BB-47DC-BDAA-5EFFA648B527.jpeg

12 hours ago, hippo said:

See Brentfords stats re loosing points from winning positions last season (no team dropped more)

Mate we get it.

"I fail to see anything but a manager who had Brentford mid table".

You said it enough times, seems your mind was made up from the beginning.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes we are.

Our owners are spending alot of money and if we miss out on that prem money we might get in more trouble with ffp.

It's also depressing to me to see how this season is turning out. For months now we've been talking about automatic promotion, now not even making top 6 is a real possibility.

Purslow said that promotion this season is not essential. He said that he is aware that it is going to be a long process.

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends what you mean by trouble. The liklehood is that we start next season in the championship without Grealish, Abraham, Axel . First two are amongst the best players in the championship IMO.

We wouldn't have started next season with Abraham or Axel anyway.

Man Utd rate Axel very highly and they want him amongst the first team next season.

Abraham is going to get his shot at Chelsea.

WThis talk of winning our next 6 easy games is misguided.

We are not good enough to put a run  together like that.This reminds me of Bruce's first season initially we did very well then after January transfer window there was a slump due to new players taking time to adapt.At the moment play offs seem a possibility not certainty.

I worry a bit about tiredness ,under Bruce our players struggled with 2 matches a week and Smith favours a more pressing game which.   requires a higher level of fitness .I think Smith is going to need time to get players in who can play his style of football.

• Like 1

We will be in the top six within a month and will stay there. I think second place may still be on but it may take until near the end of the season to get up there. Otherwise, it's likely to be another shot at the play off lottery. By then, we will hopefully have a new more solid defence to keep the ball out at one end as we continue to score goals for fun at the other one. Fingers crossed. 🤞

22 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

1st half Smith and 2nd Bruce?

Preston really did put everything in to that game. They would have turned us over earlier on in the season. 

I wouldn’t be suprised if Rotherham beat Preston after the shift they put in yesterday Then cue the posts about how we couldn’t even beat a team that lose to Rotherham. 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Preston really did put everything in to that game. They would have turned us over earlier on in the season. 

I wouldn’t be suprised if Rotherham beat Preston after the shift they put in yesterday Then cue the posts about how we couldn’t even beat a team that lose to Rotherham. 

how dare they !

lets hope qpr dont put everything into the game tommorow 

44 minutes ago, hippo said:

how dare they !

lets hope qpr dont put everything into the game tommorow 

It is possible to compliment an opponent you know. Some seem to think we just have to turn up. 

You must really miss Steve Bruce, that’s why so bitter.  He’s gone mate and ain’t coming back.  Let it go. 

15 hours ago, hippo said:

This would stand up as a comment, if you ignore the state of our back 4. Fine to be putting an early marker down as a DS critic, but you can't just ignore the squad he's inherited - it's not even a subtle disability - we have no fit CBs and every other position filled with a bang average RB. Is that not something you can see?

• Like 1