18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

TBF we all thought that last season, and if anything the quality of the league this season is even worse. 

it's probably on par...last season wolves were the stand out team but the other two were nothing special - hence why both will probably go down. you could say the same about huddersfield the year before who after 1 lucky season are going down this year, the other two to go up were newcastle and brighton who, whilst good, weren't spectacular. i'd say this season is the most competitive since we've been down here as i really couldn't begin to predict who's going up or down

I'd say this season is harder than last season BECAUSE it's of a lower standard.

Last season there was very little competition for playoffs and those were basically guaranteed. We were awful and still in with a chance of autos for far too long. Wolves were amazing, Fulham were good. Everyone else were poor really (inc us)

This season the top teams are worse and the bottom teams are better. So we have a much more competitive league. Instead of what was only 5 teams fighting realistically for the playoffs we could now argue there are 10-12.

I'm not sure we're consistent enough, maybe even good enough, to get one of those positions this seasons. The start has hindered us and the new manager bounce has subsided. Even if Smith gets the defence sorted it's going to be a hell of a scramble to even make playoffs.

We're not out of it, quite, but I think we could well miss out all together because all teams will take points off each other so there is no leading pack to chase just a slow fight to the top.

• Like 3

I honestly think it's now all about scraping ourselves into the playoffs.

If we can pick up enough points this month whilst bedding in a few new signings before finally getting Grealish back in February then we should have enough about us to finish in the top 6.

The important part of our season will then be March - May,  with new signings bedded in and Grealish back to full fitness we will need to find some form going into the playoffs. We all know how hard the playoffs are but this team, with Smiths style would be a real force that no one would want to come up against at Wembley.

8 hours ago, Digavilla said:

If we only we got Nuno Santo , instead of RDM/ Bruce....

Don’t think we would have appealed to him to be honest. If you were a top manager would you want to work for clowns like Wyness and Xia? He went to Wolves because of Mendes and he knew they meant business. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I honestly think it's now all about scraping ourselves into the playoffs.

If we can pick up enough points this month whilst bedding in a few new signings before finally getting Grealish back in February then we should have enough about us to finish in the top 6.

The important part of our season will then be March - May,  with new signings bedded in and Grealish back to full fitness we will need to find some form going into the playoffs. We all know how hard the playoffs are but this team, with Smiths style would be a real force that no one would want to come up against at Wembley.

No, they all love Villa Park.

i'm pretty sure if we make the play off they will just let us play at home😄

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t think we would have appealed to him to be honest. If you were a top manager would you want to work for clowns like Wyness and Xia? He went to Wolves because of Mendes and he knew they meant business. 

Yes that’s partly true. But thought RDM were actually given enough money to spend in first season on Ross Mcormack/ Kodgia etc & there were quite a few players in the team at that time that Santo might like eg Traore/ Amavi/ Ayew / Gueye etc 

But you probably right,  after few mins with those 2 clowns,will definitely walk away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sky have released the next batch of fixtures and it seems they have passed on televising villa vs West Brom. Bloody idiots

Good, Saturday 3 o'clock instead of some stupid Friday night/Monday night game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

No chance, whether Tammy goes or not. Tammy keeps us respectable, nothing more.

Pretty much.

Even if we did somehow fluke our way up, we wouldn't be in a good position to stay up with all the changes that have to be made. Another wasted season.

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Pretty much.

Even if we did somehow fluke our way up, we wouldn't be in a good position to stay up with all the changes that have to be made. Another wasted season.

Going up will always be better, even if you go straight back down. PL money plus more years of parachute payments. 

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Going up will always be better, even if you go straight back down. PL money plus more years of parachute payments. 

I guess, but personally I'd rather build a solid foundation (big ask I know) and stay in the PL indefinitely rather than becoming a yo-yo club.