18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, hippo said:

how dare they !

lets hope qpr dont put everything into the game tommorow 

It’s a good job we didn’t piss away a two goal lead and went on to beat Preston at home earlier on in the season. Really hammers home how dreadful drawing with them the other day was.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This would stand up as a comment, if you ignore the state of our back 4. Fine to be putting an early marker down as a DS critic, but you can't just ignore the squad he's inherited - it's not even a subtle disability - we have no fit CBs and every other position filled with a bang average RB. Is that not something you can see?

Exactly. We played three RB's and a semi-hurt CB the other day because we had no other options. I mean it speaks volumes about just how hard DS has had things, when his only 100% fit first-team CB was playing for Hull City on loan.

There is a time and a place to judge a manager, but right now is not that time. DS inherited a mess that has started to unravel as more players get injured. Fans need to chill out and see how DS does over this transfer window as he's just scraping by right now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It is possible to compliment an opponent you know. Some seem to think we just have to turn up. 

You must really miss Steve Bruce, that’s why so bitter.  He’s gone mate and ain’t coming back.  Let it go. 

I don't believe I have mentioned SB. For the record he had run has course and had to go when he did is my opinion. 

Preston had massive injuries yesterday - and the general consensus in the match thread was that we played poorly - and Smiths manager ratings in the post match thread had quite a few rating poor or even very poor. The game was touted by many as part of our easy run of fixtures - its two points dropped, whether or not Preston "gave it everything"  - I fully expect QPR to give it everything on Tuesday - But I still expect us to beat them

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't believe I have mentioned SB. For the record he had run has course and had to go when he did is my opinion. 

Preston had massive injuries yesterday - and the general consensus in the match thread was that we played poorly - and Smiths manager ratings in the post match thread had quite a few rating poor or even very poor. The game was touted by many as part of our easy run of fixtures - its two points dropped, whether or not Preston "gave it everything"  - I fully expect QPR to give it everything on Tuesday - But I still expect us to beat them

Maybe if you saw the game you’d see what I meant by gave it everything. It felt like a cup tie. It’s not making excuses for villa or Smith. It’s acknowledging how hard Preston worked for that point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe if you saw the game you’d see what I meant by gave it everything. It felt like a cup tie. It’s not making excuses for villa or Smith. It’s acknowledging how hard Preston worked for that point. 

OK Fair enough. But aren't all our opponents going to work hard and give it everything ?   

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK Fair enough. But aren't all our opponents going to work hard and give it everything ?   

They will work hard yes. I don’t think every opponent will give there all the way Preston did though. It’s not sustainable.  As I said I wouldn’t be surprised if they go on to lose their next 2. 

5 wins from our next 5 is the requirement, way too many draws recently. It's definitely achievable before we then play Sheff Utd at home. We'd be right in the playoff mix but then have some tougher fixtures coming up.

I am now solely focusing on the playoffs. If we do go on a run then maybe the door for top 2 will open again. Leeds and Norwich could easily drop quite a few more games like they did over the weekend but West Brom are right there too. 

The problem is I just don't see us getting the level of consistency it would require. We'll finish 5th or 6th. 

Unfortunately I don’t see us winning five on the bounce. Injuries and being a bit patchy has raised a few doubts. I had also under appreciated the good form QPR are in, I assumed they had tailed off since we last played them. I’m actually slightly more confident in the Sheff Utd game than I am about the QPR game (admittedly last season is playing it’s part in that). Hopefully Jack will be back by the time we face Sheff Utd, new signings brought in etc.

Don’t get me wrong, QPR is a fixture we should be looking to win, but I don’t view it anywhere near as “easy” as the other January fixtures, they’re above us while the other three are lower midtable to relegation candidates. 

If you offered me ten points from the four games in January, I’d snap your hand off.

The QPR game is huge for us. Lose that and top six is going to be made a whole lot more difficult because Derby and Boro play each other so at least one of them could go 8 clear of us. If they draw they're both 6 ahead of us. 

SHA, Sheffield United, West Bromwich all have very winnable games too. 

Lose to QPR and that table is going to look bad for us. 

Another reminder we aren’t serious promotion contenders.

Hourihane and Hutton shockers but Tammy, McGinn, Bree, Elphick were decent. 

You can’t go into every game needing to score 2 just to draw. Especially against teams like that. 

Will judge properly when we have some more bodies in.

• Like 1

I have already said I don't think promotion will happen with this team & despite DS saying that he wants Top 2 he has to be realistic.

It is very unbalanced team. 

Back four and our central midfield are not good enough.

We lack real quality in passing and movement. 

The only player that contains both of those attributes is currently injured with an unknown injury & when he does play he does not really score often or makes assists.

If we did not have Abraham we would be in the bottom half of the table.

There has to be a serious rebuild. 

Our top players last season have declined rapidly. i.e Chester, Adomah, Kodjia.

Our best players are loan signings which makes it slightly more difficult to rebuild because they need replacing.

For me, I will take this season for what it is.. a rebuild. If we scrap playoffs then good.

What I would like to see is us sign players that fit with DS philosophy and actually belong to this club. 

• Like 1

Struggling with the idea that people were talking about the possibility of catching Leeds/Norwich who were 9 or 10 points ahead (I was one of them) and now some seem to have written off making the play offs when we’re 5 points off sixth place.

Really don’t see why there’s quite as much negativity as there is. Temper hopes and expectations, fine. Probably sensible. But I’m not writing anything off yet.

• Like 2