18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Still a long way to go. I was one that was buzzing with the Smith revolution following Boro (rightly so tbf), but we are where I thought we were with that defence. With some bodies in before the next league game it could change it. 

The cup game is good timing if you ask me. 

All depends we where we are come March. 

Oh and we badly miss Jack. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

11 pts dropped in the last 6 games.

We cannot afford to be doing this.

As it stands even the play off places are looking like an achievement at this stage.

Not good enough imo. We need to improve drastically.

It’s over for me, this is the time we need to picking up wins, we have another horrendous run in March where we will drop points. Every time the top teams drop points we go ahead and do the same. I think we won’t makr play offs again this year.

just too many shite players like Hutton am£ Bjarnason 

I can’t see us getting into playoffs with performances like this, with January here hopefully we have a plan otherwise it’s another write off even if it isn’t mathematically out the equation. Problem is we keep on persisting with the likes of Hutton who frankly are bottom of the championship players now. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

5 points off playoffs with 20 games to go and it’s over?

Get a grip people! 

Have you not seen the last 5 games.

Play like we have in the next 20 games and it will relegation we're heading towards.

We have been in awful form and dropping too many points.

As many say, since losing Axel and Jack we have gone to ****. On that basis by the time they are back we could be too far behind by this point.

• Like 1

We are disappointed because other teams have dropped points and we haven’t managed to capitalise. However it’s not a coincidence that other teams are dropping points unexpectedly. Every team will have injuries, tired legs, players carrying injuries, players playing out of position etc. That tends to level the playing field, and teams that park the bus against the better teams have more of a chance when the better sides are below par for whatever reason.

A bloke I know, who ran a bookies in London, told me about a serious gambler who made a lot of money betting on the lower leagues. His trick was to watch out for teams who had been doing well, but had key players out, this often threw up unexpected and therefore against the odds results, so he backed their opponents. He bet in thousands and over a season was well on top. 

Disappointing though these draws have been at least they haven’t been defeats and we may come to look back on these points as being extremely valuable at the end of the season. With fresh legs hopefully on the way and with 20 games to go, it’s far too early to right this season off. And just for balance, if we win the next 5 we won’t be nailed on to be promoted with 15 games still to go either!

• Like 4

I think our season rests on how long Jack is out for,if it's a long term injury I think we will struggle to make playoffs.

Surprisingly Tzaneube is also a crucial player to our new style of football as none of the other defenders are comfortable on the ball .

I hope Smith rests most of first team for FA cup game and maybe a week's rest may help our performances.

• Like 4

Thing is we have to stop making excuses.- Next season we could be saying if only we had Abraham and Jack - many clubs in this division are paupers - we have Bolasie, Mcginn, Abraham, Admomah, elghazi, kjodia  - despite the injuries that should be enough to make a fist of things in this division.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

If we don't turn it around soon, it's over. 

Also, this team is not ready to go up, as much as I want it to. Another season down here is for the best. **** me.

Its not as if we will not sign anyone if we’re up. Even while we’re down we’re expecting from the board a lot of changes. Also the style of play will not be the same up there in all games, look at how Wolves are doing compared to Fulham. Even Cardiff who were nailed to be going down.

Another season will mean no Grealish nor McGin. Let alone the loanees as Tuanzebe, Abraham and Bolasie. We might buy El Ghazi though. Up there we might be able to spend or be in a better position to sign players wether it was on loan or permanently.

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I think our season rests on how long Jack is out for,if it's a long term injury I think we will struggle to make playoffs.

Surprisingly Tzaneube is also a crucial player to our new style of football as none of the other defenders are comfortable on the ball .

I hope Smith rests most of first team for FA cup game and maybe a week's rest may help our performances.

Stated the same in match thread.

People underestimate the impact he was beginning to have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Stated the same in match thread.

People underestimate the impact he was beginning to have.

Absolutely JV. He was becoming integral in our defence.

I do feel it's been rotten luck for Dean Smith so far but we equally we must go again.

I think a few days rest will do everyone good and hopefully somehow we look back on December and realise that actually GETTING the points we have turns out to be actually more crucial to us than not.

January window just become even more interesting.

• Like 2

In 14 games under Smith we've lost 3 times. Of those 3 losses 2 were to the teams currently sitting 1st and 2nd. We've won 6 and drawn 5.

If we continue as we are, which currently sees us picking up 1.64 ppg under Smith, we will finish with 71 points. Last season that would've got us 9th.

If our average ppg under Smith was for the entire season so far we would be on course for a 75.4 total. Last season that would have us 5th or 6th.

Bruce in 17/18 pulled in a 10% higher win rate than Smith has so far for us. That still only equates to 0.15 more points per game on average. Narrowest of margins.

I know the mood is generally that of disappointment having dropped points we feel we might've gained recently, it's hard to overlook. So is the start to the season.

On the flip side, Smith's got a record for losing games so far that on average, only Fulham, Cardiff and Wolves enjoyed last season. All 3 gained promotion with that record.

If you look past the disappointment of results we feel or hoped might've gone differently and search for a balanced view, you'll see we are very much in this.

From where I sit, I see enough signs and potential that I believe it possible that we will take the necessary points to be in contention for promotion come seasons end.

And let's be real here. Smith is just getting started. He's had 14 games in charge. Yet we see a distinct shift in play from before. Maybe the next 20 games has us reach new heights.

Yes, it's possible he won't manage to implement enough for promotion this season. It's also possible he will and in my opinion, with the help of players hitting form, that is a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1