18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

One more season in the championship might serve us well in the long term. 

The squad needs a massive rehaul. 

Rebuild the team. Give it a year to settle. Go up and get a foothold in the premier league. 

The current squad would get slaughtered if it went up. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We have come through the super tough Nov/Dec fixtures with 4 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss, pity we lost to Leeds like that, but overall we have done pretty well the last 8 games

I remember what most folks were predicting at the start of that run. A last minute loss today against Leeds - but I'm still smiling at all the goals we've seen since DS has come in. There is every reason to believe we will net many many more points next half of the season than we did this half and that would put us in the play-offs, no question. Nobody would want to meet us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skruff said:

The squad needs a massive rehaul. 

Rebuild the team. Give it a year to settle. Go up and get a foothold in the premier league. 

The current squad would get slaughtered if it went up. 

i tend to agree with this, i think another full season in the championship allowing DS to build the right team, would prob be good overall for us, we just arent ready right now i dont think.

It doesnt mean i dont want to go up, of course i do, but right now we just arent ready right now, i think another full season under our belt with a few new faces and a fully and smooth running DS system, we will hopefully be a different prospect next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i tend to agree with this, i think another full season in the championship allowing DS to build the right team, would prob be good overall for us, we just arent ready right now i dont think.

It doesnt mean i dont want to go up, of course i do, but right now we just arent ready right now, i think another full season under our belt with a few new faces and a fully and smooth running DS system, we will hopefully be a different prospect next season.

Thing is i still fancy us in an eventual play off. 

Leeds is the best team by far i've seen us play. Bloody exellent team and fair play to them.

But the teams below Leeds we are definitely well on par with.

We still aren't in the top 6 though, we just need to get there somehow and i do fancy us

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

When we sort the defenec out next year  qe wont have the goal scorers and attacking talent we currently have. No bolaise Abraham or el ghazi 

I’m not sure 2 out of those 3 would be a big miss. 

44 minutes ago, Farlz said:

New defenders for January and there's more than enough to get playoffs here, I still think we can do that but it's already getting to the stage where we can barely afford to drop points.

What really bothers me though, why are we always the bottlers? It's never us getting the late goal and it does my head in. 

Us and Norwich have the most goals scored in 90+ minutes at 4 each. 

Expectations need to be modified.We looked very tired 20 mins from end I wonder if we can maintain this high intensity pressing football for whole season?The passing and possession was as poor as we had under Bruce .In fact it looked very similar to how we played under Bruce.Goal keeper not at fault for any of goals .People claim new defensive signings will solve all the problems not convinced myself..

We seem too open in middle and teams seem to get into attacking positions without resistance.

Play offs still a possibility even though we have some easier games coming up I don't see us winning every one.

2 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Expectations need to be modified.We looked very tired 20 mins from end I wonder if we can maintain this high intensity pressing football for whole season?The passing and possession was as poor as we had under Bruce .In fact it looked very similar to how we played under Bruce.Goal keeper not at fault for any of goals .People claim new defensive signings will solve all the problems not convinced myself..

We seem too open in middle and teams seem to get into attacking positions without resistance.

Play offs still a possibility even though we have some easier games coming up I don't see us winning every one.

We just need fullbacks that is not shit. They don't even need to be good just average and we will be fine.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

I think this game has put to bed any outside  hope of a top 2 finish - we need to rebuild the back 4 in January as our defenders are woeful - a new back 4 with decent defenders and we should kick on and make the play offs - from there it’s anyones  on the day .

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Thing is i still fancy us in an eventual play off. 

Leeds is the best team by far i've seen us play. Bloody exellent team and fair play to them.

But the teams below Leeds we are definitely well on par with.

We still aren't in the top 6 though, we just need to get there somehow and i do fancy us

I agree with that.

Top 2 is a pipe dream now and we certainly aren't good enough for it with way Leeds out passed us even at 2 down but I'm not sure how anyone with a straight face could say we'd have no chance if we were in the play offs with let's say Norwich, Derby and Boro.

Norwich would be devastated after being pipped for top 2 (probably by WBA) and the other two we've beaten 3-0 away even with the dodgy defence and below par midfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes with grealish being sold which seems to be what will happen.

Nobody knows at this point, although if Grealish is sold that'll obviously give us a lot of money to use to sort out the squad.

Next 7 league games.

Swansea (A)

Preston (A)

QPR (H)

Wigan (A)

Hull (H)

Ipswich (H)

Reading (A)

It's time to dust ourselves down and go all out attack. If we can regularly score 2+ goals a game against the teams at the top of the division it's time to be ruthless against the teams in the bottom half of the division. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skruff said:

It won't. Abraham, grealish and mcginn all gone if we don't get promotion. Just have to hope we can win the playoffs now. 

16 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It won't. Abraham, grealish and mcginn all gone if we don't get promotion. Just have to hope we can win the playoffs now. 

McGinn will not be going anywhere unless the fee is huge and it won't be . Tammy will go to the highest bidder and Grealish will play at the top of the game and fair play to him he's served us well and will command a huge fee. 

Smith can make the difference here if he's given a chance , he may sell and buy players to achieve it but I see the start of great things here. He sees the game as we all do,. First half 2 up but the performance wasn't great, he saw it , couldn't change it but he's half way there , 10x better than the shit excuses we have had for 5 seasons . UTV 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Nobody knows at this point, although if Grealish is sold that'll obviously give us a lot of money to use to sort out the squad.

It won't. Selling Grealish will keep our heads above water. Nothing more