1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Also losing these players off the wage bill this summer:

• Richards!!!
  • Jedi
  • Hutton
  • Whelan
  • Elphick
  • De Laet

These players will be in the last year of their contract and can possibly be sold for some value, if Deano doesn't want them around:

• Albert
  • Thor
  • Chester
  • Elmo
  • Hourihane
  • Kodja
  • Gardner
  • Tshibola
  • McCormick
  • Green

Honestly, 2019 is the year to rebuild the squad into a sustainable team. Most of the 30+ brigade will be out of contract at the end of the year.  I would almost rather stick around in the Championship another season and get a core group of players used to Deano's system, so we can avoid the same situation Fulham are in right now.  They basically bought a new first team last summer and haven't played with the same sort of style that got them promoted last season.  

You mean the situation where they make a minimum of 100 million for going up even if they come straight back down?

Parachute payments and so on.

Will have players they can sell on for a higher value as well as some PL level players in the squad to give them a better chance of smashing the Championship (If they come back down) etc?

Fact is we are better off going up even if we come straight back down.

I like the idea in theory but it's simply undeniable.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I think its calculated March to March (April being start of a new Financial year)

So April 2019, the accounts being looked at for the previous 3 years would include our first summer of spending under Xia.

I could be wrong, but I personally think our slate was wiped clean with the new takeover. If we spend big in January that would pretty much confirm it.

No the slate wouldn’t have been wiped clean because of a takeover, you still have have to keep your loses under a certain amount for a 3 year period, I believe this is your third year which would mean, you have to get your loses down possibly by selling grealish or just go for broke spend big & hope it gets you up. If it fails you’ll be in it big time no matter how rich your owners are 

While I agree that the next six are winnable (as it stands I’d actually put us as strong to slight favourites for the next eight matches), I don’t think we’ll win ALL of them, in all likelihood there will be a slip up or a referee error somewhere. Of course Smith’s aim will be to win them all, I have no doubt about that and with that attitude we should win the majority of them.

Ultimately if we’re firmly (and finally) in the play off zone by the time of return fixtures of the more daunting opposition (Baggies onwards - and I think we’ll get a decent amount of points from those too), then I’ll be very happy and confident going into the final quarter of the season, knowing what we have to do.

• Like 1

We need at least 2 more wins, possibly three depending on other results, just to get into the playoffs.  Let’s do that first.

Its very very unlikely we can catch the top 2 from here, so step by step.   Get into 6th first, then 5th, then 4th... then see if we are any closer to Leeds and Norwich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We need at least 2 more wins, possibly three depending on other results, just to get into the playoffs.  Let’s do that first.

Its very very unlikely we can catch the top 2 from here, so step by step.   Get into 6th first, then 5th, then 4th... then see if we are any closer to Leeds and Norwich.

Whilst I agree I do take heart in the fact we are only 2 points behind where we were this time last season and then after 31 games we sat second. It’s unlikely we’ll manage 7 wins in a row though like we did last season. Especially without Grealish. 

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

The next 6 are very winnable. Do that, and the league is very different!!

Not really if Norwich West Brom and Leeds win 4 or 5 or theirs 

We **** it up. We had to beat some of these teams and we didn't thats why it's goibg to cost us. The Leeds one was terrible. Never should have lost that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRed said:

No the slate wouldn’t have been wiped clean because of a takeover, you still have have to keep your loses under a certain amount for a 3 year period, I believe this is your third year which would mean, you have to get your loses down possibly by selling grealish or just go for broke spend big & hope it gets you up. If it fails you’ll be in it big time no matter how rich your owners are 

Except - if the EFL start docking points for clubs in breach of FFP - half the league would start next season on minus points

It’s amazing what difference a win makes. We have 2 games in the next few days, if we can manage to win both of those, then you just would think there is a decent chance we will be in 6th place, or at least level on points with 6th.

Then let’s ignore Leeds for now and focus on Norwich....they play Derby next, it’s possible that they might draw or lose, and then Brentford, who knows, maybe another draw or defeat. We then might be just 6-9 points behind 2nd place. If we can then get it back to 6 points by the end of January, well who knows.

Point being - things can change quickly, but we need to win our bloody games first!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not really if Norwich West Brom and Leeds win 4 or 5 or theirs 

We **** it up. We had to beat some of these teams and we didn't thats why it's goibg to cost us. The Leeds one was terrible. Never should have lost that one.

Considering we have a total of 2 centre backs in our squad i think we have done well.

Bruce left us in a ****hole

There is still so long to go so individual games aren't that critical at this stage, we just have to keep winning more than we draw and avoiding losses.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up in the playoffs again, but this year we'll be the scary attacking side that can't really be stopped when on song. It's so much easier to be confident with this side under Smith (with reinforcements coming) than it was under Bruce.

18 hours ago, BigRed said:

This is our 3rd season in the division. The majority of our spending was in the very first window. Even if we don't go up, we'd be losing the spend from that first window counting against our losses, surely? 

Let’s assume jack and Axel will miss all of Jan. 

I think we need Elphick back, a new Left back and a new Defensive midfield in January. Our squad should then be good enough to ensure top 6. 

In my opinion if we can get a new dm it will make Jed and Whelan surplus to requirements.  Thor can remain as cover. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

This is spot on. Ampadu from Chelsea would make a massive difference in this area. Whilst Whelan is competent in this area ( Jedinak would be too), he (they) has no pace and that is vital to the way we play now.

Exactly. Sounds harsh on Whelan as he has come in to the team the last few weeks and put a shift in. I just really think he is struggling due to his lack of pace.  Expect Thor to return in the next few games. 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 20:43, BigRed said:

Yeah but the losses from 4 years ago were enormous, and they won't count anymore. They've been on the way down since, so the situation is improving on the loss front. Seeing as we have no debts now either I would reckon that's going to help.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s assume jack and Axel will miss all of Jan. 

I think we need Elphick back, a new Left back and a new Defensive midfield in January. Our squad should then be good enough to ensure top 6. 

In my opinion if we can get a new dm it will make Jed and Whelan surplus to requirements.  Thor can remain as cover. 

Minimum LB, CB. Really need a RB and a DM too. With the keeper confirmed and that lot we'll be massively better.