18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Not getting top 6 would be a massive disaster. Top 2 is essentially impossible. 

Can't see us finishing anywhere outside of 3rd-6th.

Are you saying we’ll be there or thereabouts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We’re saying its an easy run but in reality Preston and QPR are far from being easy fixtures. Two of the most in form teams.

If we won those two things could look much more brighter.

But to be honest, Leeds winning against us and Rovers is really bad. Had they dropped 4 and we got a point from Leeds it would have been only 10 points. 

Every round at a time.

4 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

2 points behind where we were this time last season. 

Rail card is firmly at the ready. Just the small matter of a 7 game win streak now.. 

We haven’t win the game before new year, have?

I remember our streak began with our win at Boro.

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’re saying its an easy run but in reality Preston and QPR are far from being easy fixtures. Two of the most in form teams.

If we won those two things could look much more brighter.

But to be honest, Leeds winning against us and Rovers is really bad. Had they dropped 4 and we got a point from Leeds it would have been only 10 points. 

Every round at a time.

PNE were in good form but they lost to Sheff Weds and Hull last two and have 4-5 key players suspended/injured. Would be disappointing not to win that.

I agree QPR like last season is dangerous fixture, we won't win that if we're complacent.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

PNE were in good form but they lost to Sheff Weds and Hull last two and have 4-5 key players suspended/injured. Would be disappointing not to win that.

I agree QPR like last season is dangerous fixture, we won't win that if we're complacent.

Sheff Weds is always a tricky game. But what youre saying about PNE is encouraging.

QPR is always dangerous, especially with their form now.

You look at our next 6 fixtures and we'd be disappointed if we didn't win all of them. If we do that would be 7 wins on the bounce and at that point we'd flying and confidence sky high so we"d fear no one.

We have just come through the toughest run of games you could ask for really well with only 1 defeat. We strengthen and put a run together then it could well be a special second half of the season.

On 24/12/2018 at 15:35, KHV said:

The massive wage bill and the massive drop in revenue with no more PL money next year. FFP hasn't magically disappeared

But don't you also have to take into account the new 3 year period?

As in FFP is based on the last 3 years I think? And our biggest loss of those 3 years was the first year (as of now).
When we get into next season that 3 year period moves forward one, so that big loss year isn't counted anymore.

I think :D

Dunno if that made sense.

• Like 1

4 wins or 12 points off 2nd. That seems almost impossible at this stage, but Leeds have looked suspect lately. Same for Norwich so who knows.

These late comebacks Leeds keep getting are great for their fans, but it tells me that there are some cracks in their team. 

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As in FFP is based on the last 3 years I think? And our biggest loss of those 3 years was the first year (as of now).
When we get into next season that 3 year period moves forward one, so that big loss year isn't counted anymore.

I think its calculated March to March (April being start of a new Financial year)

So April 2019, the accounts being looked at for the previous 3 years would include our first summer of spending under Xia.

I could be wrong, but I personally think our slate was wiped clean with the new takeover. If we spend big in January that would pretty much confirm it.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also losing these players off the wage bill this summer:

• Richards!!!
  • Jedi
  • Hutton
  • Whelan
  • Elphick
  • De Laet

These players will be in the last year of their contract and can possibly be sold for some value, if Deano doesn't want them around:

• Albert
  • Thor
  • Chester
  • Elmo
  • Hourihane
  • Kodja
  • Gardner
  • Tshibola
  • McCormick
  • Green

Honestly, 2019 is the year to rebuild the squad into a sustainable team. Most of the 30+ brigade will be out of contract at the end of the year.  I would almost rather stick around in the Championship another season and get a core group of players used to Deano's system, so we can avoid the same situation Fulham are in right now.  They basically bought a new first team last summer and haven't played with the same sort of style that got them promoted last season.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Honestly, 2019 is the year to rebuild the squad into a sustainable team. Most of the 30+ brigade will be out of contract at the end of the year.  I would almost rather stick around in the Championship another season and get a core group of players used to Deano's system, so we can avoid the same situation Fulham are in right now.  They basically bought a new first team last summer and haven't played with the same sort of style that got them promoted last season.  

Going to have to be a rebuilding job no matter when we go up, I think the opposite of you and think it would be better suited to do it when we lose a lot of players anyway; rather than trying to shift players you've just bought in the summer again who will be on longer contracts. 2 birds with 1 stone and all that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

4 wins or 12 points off 2nd. That seems almost impossible at this stage, but Leeds have looked suspect lately. Same for Norwich so who knows.

These late comebacks Leeds keep getting are great for their fans, but it tells me that there are some cracks in their team. 

You also have to take into account the number of teams between us and Leeds though. If Leeds fall away, then someone else will take our place. 

So not only do we have to catch Leeds, we have to get more points than anyone in between us as well. 

Its a huge ask. I think it’s out of our reach... but you never know

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Also losing these players off the wage bill this summer:

• Richards!!!
  • Jedi
  • Hutton
  • Whelan
  • Elphick
  • De Laet

These players will be in the last year of their contract and can possibly be sold for some value, if Deano doesn't want them around:

• Albert
  • Thor
  • Chester
  • Elmo
  • Hourihane
  • Kodja
  • Gardner
  • Tshibola
  • McCormick
  • Green

Yet as ugly as Cardiff playing, theyre still picking results from here and there without spending.

We need to put in our minds that another season in the championship means there is no Grealish. Grealish quality can’t be found easily nor being able getting him to the championship.

We don’t need to change the whole squad if we’re promoted. We could build the team around (Jack, McGin, El Ghazi, Well Chester and if we could get another loan of Abraham and Bolasie) I will be really happy with those 6 starting upthere. We’re still having this new keeper and couple of signing this winter which could be helpful in building the squad. 

Anyway even financially its better for us to go up even if it meant going down again.

• Like 1