18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

but I'm still smiling at all the goals we've seen since DS has come in.

They are still going in far too often at the other end though. This season :

Bruce P11 Goals scored 19 Goals conceded 18

Smith P11 Goals scored 25 Goals conceded 17

We have actually kept 4 clean sheets under Smith too so that is 17 goals conceded in 7 games compared to only 1 clean sheet under Bruce

Still exactly the same problems, Sure we are winning a few more games and it's more exciting but the "we can't defend so we'll just attack" mentality has to change at some point as it is costing us dearly. We also seem to have gone from picking up points from last minute goals to throwing points away to last minute goals which is rather concerning

Edited by LakotaDakota

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Have to be realistic, top 2 is gone now after that collapse.

From 2-0 up that felt like we were playing Man United, not Leeds United.

Today we saw the standard of a top 2 team and after the good first half hour we fell painfully short.

Reasons? Big one is without Grealish we simply are too slow getting the ball out to our wide players and it's no good having Bolaise and El Ghazi/Kodjia out there if we can't get them the ball. They become passengers in the team then.

Leeds were so quick transitioning the play from central midfield out wide and well that 12 year old kid Clarke and Allioski had field days one v one against AEM (easily his worst game for us) and Hutton.

McGinn was out MOTM I thought but he can't press for 90 minutes as he needs help from others. I thought Whelan was decent aswell. Apart from goals and odd good free kick Hourihane offers little in general play and going forward he should just be a squad player.

Hopefully this dosen't knock us back too much. It was a reality check for top 2, not play offs as Boro, Derby, Forest and possibly Norwich are more on our level tbh.

There's no need to be offensive😥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

We have actually kept 4 clean sheets under Smith too so that is 17 goals conceded in 7 games compared to only 1 clean sheet under Bruce

Still exactly the same problems, Sure we are winning a few more games and it's more exciting but the "we can't defend so we'll just attack" mentality has to change at some point as it is costing us dearly. We also seem to have gone from picking up points from last minute goals to throwing points away to last minute goals which is rather concerning

And again, we’ve scored more and conceded less against the better sides in this division, that has to count for something? Some on here really seem to be keen to overlook that.

Take us out of this for a moment. Who are the best sides in the division? Who are the sides that immediately come to mind?

I bet the majority on here straight away are thinking - Leeds, Norwich, Boro, Derby, Forest, Sheff Utd and Stoke, and maybe reluctantly small heath (spits). Smith has had to take on seven of those mostly in quick succession, picking up eleven points and can consider himself unfortunate not to have picked up fifteen points. 

Whereas the goals scored/goals conceded record under Bruce was achieved against opposition whom the best were easily Sheff Utd (and they’re suddenly not looking quite the hot prospect, are they?).

If we’re still where we are by the middle of February, then I will think there is a valid reason to voice concern/disappointment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cjay said:

There's no need to be offensive😥

Haha sorry mate but if you look back to our results v Man. United in last 20 years we've had so many of those 2 up and then lose it in last 20 minutes types that today felt exactly like those ones.

If it's any consolation you're winning this league after watching you play today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skruff said:

One more season in the championship might serve us well in the long term. 

The squad needs a massive rehaul. 

Rebuild the team. Give it a year to settle. Go up and get a foothold in the premier league. 

The current squad would get slaughtered if it went up. 

There will barely be a squad if we go up.

Once you take into consideration all the loans and out of contract players and others that need sold we will be left with about 5 or 6 players to build a team on.

Top two-wise the season was 95% over before a ball was kicked today anyway but now we are in a pure lottery for the rest of the season as even if we finish top of our new league (as in 3rd) we have the playoffs which usually is down to dodgy official decisions as much as who actually deserves the win.

Even if we had gone up this season we would have had to replace most of our best players in the summer so maybe it's better to spend the season bedding DS and his backroom team in fully, completing the downsizing job at hand in the summer and then hope & pray we can get a team together to make a proper go of it from the start next season.

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

And you know this how?

The massive wage bill and the massive drop in revenue with no more PL money next year. FFP hasn't magically disappeared

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

5 points to the top 6, January transfer window up to bring in a defense and a run of easier fixtures. 

You lot talking about next season. Enjoy yourselves. I'm going to dust off my rail card ready for another trip to Wembley.

Quitters. 

Dont forget to get a receipt 

4 hours ago, KHV said:

The massive wage bill and the massive drop in revenue with no more PL money next year. FFP hasn't magically disappeared

I would imagine that the wage bill will drop once again this summer once more high earner are off the books, and I'm pretty sure that there are ways to mitigate FFP.

• Like 1

Yeah loans will go back and likes of Whelan and Jedinak will be out of contract and I imagine they're both in 30-40k range for us. And lord has mercy on us as Micah Richards will finally be out of contract. Think McCormack has another year.

Only issue is we'll have to then replace said 6-7 players who leave and fans will demand ambitious signings. I imagine being an international keeper Kalinic will be on decent money for instance.

Guess we'll have to see what punishment SHA get and take things from there.

On 23/12/2018 at 22:52, LakotaDakota said:

So basically we are gaining more points than we are dropping?

Interesting...

• Like 1

Well clearly it isn't good enough yet. 

Hopefully we can fix the glaring issues at RB and LB in January and build from there.

Any improvement made since Smith came in in regards to passing, movement, possession and mentality is negated by the shocking amount of goals we are shipping thanks to our neglected defense and shaky GK.

New personal is needed at RB and LB otherwise we might as well not bother.

And at centre back. Also important for us all to remember that it wasn’t smith that created this imbalance. I’m sure many of these issues will be resolved come mid/end of Jan.

We then will be the team that no one wants to play and should get to the play offs with a strong run from when the reinforcements arrive. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

And at centre back. Also important for us all to remember that it wasn’t smith that created this imbalance. I’m sure many of these issues will be resolved come mid/end of Jan.

We then will be the team that no one wants to play and should get to the play offs with a strong run from when the reinforcements arrive. 

Exactly, I feel like we are going in circles like nagging wives.

As if we don't already know the issues, what needs to be done and why we can't begin addressing it til January 1st.

Don't see the point in moaning about it or blaming the manager until at least then.

25 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Also important for us all to remember that it wasn’t smith that created this imbalance.

Rather amazing that a former cb assembled this defence. Nevermind Hogan for hoofball or Nyland in general. He got McGinn right though I will give him that. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara