18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need a proper Brute midfielder, who can also play.

JV we have one in JM but one is not enough....Others just stand off or just pick up loose passes.

When the opposition gets better, the loose balls are less frequent.....We need more players to press, with vigour and fire in their bellies and turn over aerial balls to start attacks...like Gareth Barry used to do.

• Like 1

We are 4 points better off than fulham were at the same stage last season. Incidentally the 23rd game was the start of their long unbeaten run that lasted until the final day of the season. 

To get top 2 we can't afford to drop any more then 17 points for the remainder of the campaign. Tough ask, but still possible... Just! 

I feel incredibly sorry for Brentford...  Since Smith left, they've won once, drawn once, and lost eight...  They've gone from playing some of the best football in the league to relegation candidates.

31 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I feel incredibly sorry for Brentford...  Since Smith left, they've won once, drawn once, and lost eight...  They've gone from playing some of the best football in the league to relegation candidates.

I chuckle at that as didn't a visiting Brentford fan on here say it didn't matter who was manager/head coach of them as their behind the scenes set up was so good it wouldn't matter.

Just shows you can invest in all the stats machines you like but you still need a figurehead who can work with players well which Thomas Franks is obviously struggling to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I chuckle at that as didn't a visiting Brentford fan on here say it didn't matter who was manager/head coach of them as their behind the scenes set up was so good it wouldn't matter.

Just shows you can invest in all the stats machines you like but you still need a figurehead who can work with players well which Thomas Franks is obviously struggling to.

Not just the visiting fan.

Many of our own started to believe that hype as well.

That being said, could just be a transition period for them, who knows.

• Like 2

Didn't get to see the Stoke game and yet to watch the highlights so don't know how we played but I was saying weeks back that our run against the top sides starting with Derby would be a good indicator of where we're at in terms of being serious contenders for a promotion push.

We are undefeated in 7 with over 50% win rate in those games. Hard for any supporter to turn their nose up at that, especially considering our form and start under Bruce.

I think Leeds will be our toughest challenge yet and fully expect Pablo to cause our defense some problems. It would be great to have Grealish available but it will also be interesting to see how we stack up against a top side without him. As I said I think Leeds will be our toughest test and will go on to occupy one of the two automatic promotion places.

Consistency will be crucial to our promotion hopes from here. If we can maintain the standard of play we have seen in our better performances for most of the remainder we are serious contenders. Once we reach mid-January and our fixtures see us play teams at the bottom end of the table once more there will be no room for complacency. We have fairly successfully faced the challenge of our tough run so far, but once it ceases there will be the hurdle of getting the wins we need in order to make up for lost ground.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2018 at 07:55, Demitri_C said:

I agree. Also axels been bloody superb this year. This kids going to be very good. As crap as bruce was he knew how to find good players. Just he didn't know how to use them.

"Are there any youngsters at Top 6 clubs that aren't getting a game?"

"Yeah, a couple.."

"Get them. Job done. I'm off to Neelams for some Masala Fish"

• Haha 2

On 18/12/2018 at 19:31, Made In Aston said:

We are 4 points better off than fulham were at the same stage last season. Incidentally the 23rd game was the start of their long unbeaten run that lasted until the final day of the season. 

To get top 2 we can't afford to drop any more then 17 points for the remainder of the campaign. Tough ask, but still possible... Just! 

Yep they signed a decent striker ......we might have misunderstood the blueprint ....as we may lose one ! 

On 18/12/2018 at 15:19, Merson08 said:

Below is a table for the next 6 games for the top 6 teams plus our next six games, it also includes home or away fixture and currently league position. Purely information purposes but teams in the top 6 will be playing each other often over the next 6 games and we should hopefully be able to take advantage of this.

Blackburn appears a lot over the next 4 games, there run while not directly impacting us is worth noting. They play Norwich (2nd), Leeds (1st), Sheff Utd (5th) and West Brom (3rd) as their next 4 games.

Leeds AV (A) 8th Blackburn (H) 12th Hull (H) 17th Notts Forest (A) 7th Derby (H) 4th Stoke (A) 11th
Norwich Blackburn (A) 12th Notts Forest (H) 7th Derby (H) 4th Brentford (A) 19th West Brom (A) 3rd Birmingham (H) 10th
West Brom Rotherham (A) 20th Wigan (H) 16th Sheff Wed (H) 18th Blackburn (A) 12th Norwich (H) 2nd Bolton (A) 23rd
Derby Bristol C (H) 14th Sheffield Utd (A) 5th Norwich (A) 2nd Middlesbrough (H) 6th Leeds (A) 1st Reading (H) 21st
Sheff Utd Ipswich (A) 24th Derby (H) 4th Blackburn (H) 12th Wigan (A) 16th QPR (H) 13th Swansea (A) 9th
Middlesbrough Reading (A) 21st Sheff Wed (H) 18th Ipswich (H) 24th Derby (A) 4th Birmingham (A) 10th Millwall (H) 22nd

Aston Villa Leeds (H) 1st Swansea (A) 9th Preston (A) 15th QPR (H) 13th Wigan (A) 16th Hull (H) 17th

Lot of contenders facing each other too. We have a good 6 games and a lot of big games are draws then we will be very close

We also don't have a natural replacement when Grealish get injured. Anybody else worried about that?

Whelan, Jedinak and Birkir are all fine players but they aren't creative, so we lose alot when Grealish is out :(

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We also don't have a natural replacement when Grealish get injured. Anybody else worried about that?

Whelan, Jedinak and Birkir are all fine players but they aren't creative, so we lose alot when Grealish is out :(

Cal. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

were going to get injuries though - Kjodia was out all last season - and Grealish didn't return until November. Great as the never say die attitude is - always chasing a game takes its toll - you could see it against forest the Villa players collapsed at the final whistle.

Just now, hippo said:

were going to get injuries though - Kjodia was out all last season - and Grealish didn't return until November. Great as the never say die attitude is - always chasing a game takes its toll - you could see it against forest the Villa players collapsed at the final whistle.

So does wearing children’s shinpads! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Have you actually seen him play? What makes you think he will take the level?

Certainly have. Slight OT on the thread but I'll answer. Watch a lot of the PL2 and he's brilliant. Slotted in a couple of times last season in the Championship too. Got an assist I seem to recall for not a lot of game time. I think he's as close to a like for like replacement we've got currently and I have no concerns he'll hold his own in this league. 

• Like 3