18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

7 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Just to provide some hope after 20 games Fulham were 15 th on 26 points 11 points behind 3rd placed Bristol city

It just shows teams can rise up and fall away and position in December not good indicator of final position

True, although i don't think we'll do a Fulham

12 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Just to provide some hope after 20 games Fulham were 15 th on 26 points 11 points behind 3rd placed Bristol city

It just shows teams can rise up and fall away and position in December not good indicator of final position

True. We have to play all the teams above us again, they all have to play each other, and for the added bonus, the teams above us could drop points to teams under us in the league and even towards the end as other teams fight for relegation.

So much fun yet to happen now we approach the business end of the season. 

1 hour ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Fulham had to do far more last season than they would need to do this season also in my opinion. 

Wolves were 10,000 times better than anything in this league this year and Cardiff just ground it out. 

I can see Norwich and Leeds dropping far more points on the run in. 

It won't take anything like a mental Fulham style run to get top 2 this year. 

5th beat 3rd. I'm alright with that. Chance to go 2 points behind Sheff Utd tomorrow who sat 3rd before this weekends games.

Leeds and Norwich opened up a 5 point gap on the pack last weekend. They can extend it further unless Bolton or Bristol City can do everyone else a favour.

Forest beating Derby or a draw in that game and Boro leaving QPR empty handed and it's all getting very compact all of a sudden.

I want to see Norwich, Leeds, Forest and Boro lose a couple of games and us to reach the new year without another loss. The whole thing would be so amazingly open.

• Like 2

More ground lost, so overall disappointing. The leaders edging further away from us.

However, staying on an unbeaten run is a decent positive.

For what it’s worth, from the Stoke and Leeds games I would have been happy with four points, so IF (big if there for our Leeds pals) we get a win next weekend, then it would put us closer to being back on track and would be a massive confidence boost.

The transfer window can’t arrive soon enough.

It's difficult to keep optimism in check given how well we've played. I was satisfied we did not lose again, we really are unbeatable. Clearly we need the window, and one or two signings that tip the balance. Well done DS for all that you have achieved so far with this group. 

Smith has done very well, automatic promotion as an expectation was/is brainless, Smith inherited an enormous mess, an extremely unbalanced squad that was drastically lacking in match fitness and a cohesive style. In a fairly short space of time we are a lot fitter and have a distinctive style, with players understanding what they need to do. Of course, we're a shambles at the back, but that's because we have shambolic players, a terrible keeper, not a huge amount of quality in central defence and garbage options at fullback. January is very important isn't it? I think we will get a playoff spot and that will represent a good achievement for Smith because it will be a playoff spot achieved with a genuine plan