What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Followed by 

Cherry King - Black iris Brewery - Nottingham @Davkaus you know of them? This is a collab with Leviathan. 

Nice fruity sour

Cherry-King.jpg

That sounds bloody lovely, I'll be on the lookout for that.  I know Black Iris, they're one of the most well-regarded modern brewers in the city but like most, they seem to put out mostly American style IPA which isn't for me these days, they put out the odd one that gets my interest though, and that's one of them.

Some time last year they did a run of the same stout but aged in 3 different barrels, one rum, one cognac, and one whiskey. At the moment they've got a biscoff imperial stout (Limp Biscoff, sigh) that I'll also need to try and buy

Speaking of Nottingham breweries, I've been drinking more of Lenton Lane's stuff lately, they do a bunch of really really nice session beers, including a lovely cherry and vanilla stout (only 5%, good driving beer ;) ), although I've heard that in the next few weeks they'll be releasing their take on a belgian quad, an imperial ale in the 13-14% range. Got to try that just out of curiosity.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 22:50, TheAuthority said:

RRV Pinot Noir is the best. Is that a single vineyard?

My wife;s family has property in Sebastopol, Sonoma County just around the corner from the Russian River Valley. We used to love visiting all of the vineyards.

Now we have kids and are miserable.

never heard of it so looked it up and saw it wasn't far from the oregon border, which i know is a good pinot noir region...i believe it shares similar latitude as burgundy so weather etc are similar but never bothered to research how much truth there was in that (it might be bollox for all i know)

from those that i've had i'd highly recommend this. might have to hunt down a bottle of the aforementioned longboard though.

Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

never heard of it so looked it up and saw it wasn't far from the oregon border, which i know is a good pinot noir region...i believe it shares similar latitude as burgundy so weather etc are similar but never bothered to research how much truth there was in that (it might be bollox for all i know)

from those that i've had i'd highly recommend this. might have to hunt down a bottle of the aforementioned longboard though.

Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir

Oregon has some great Pinot's but they are definitely more "French" i.e. lighter and more floral.

California wines are like American cars - big, bold - RRV Pinot's are often very fruit forward. Leaning toward a Zinfandel.

The interesting thing to me about Sebastopol and the RRV is that up until the late 60's/70's, it produced all of the apple sauce for the US. "Gravenstein" apples were considered some of the best and were grown all over Sonoma.  Once people started producing wine, gradually all of the orchards were ripped out and replaced with vines. I don't know what that did or is doing to the soil but the wine is great and of course a far more lucrative crop than apples. 

Sebastopol in Sonoma still retains some of a hippy quality to it as a town that it had when it was a bunch of apple farmers. As opposed to Napa Valley which is extremely hoighty toighty. 

Every strip of grass in Sonoma has vines growing on it, sometimes right next to the highway. The last I heard, even if you could afford to buy a plot of land in Sonoma the wait to get hold of vines is about 7 years!

Edited by TheAuthority

Winding down for the evening with my first porter in yonks. "Disturbance In the Fence"  A collab between Staggeringly Good and Emperors Brewing, two of my favourite strong dark beer breweries.

No flavourings or anything, just a really good , silky smooth porter, made with some new and interesting hops. 8.8% but hides it, well, it's sweet, it's bitter, a bit chocolatey aftertaste, little bit smoky, but weirdly tropical on the nose, and from mouthful to mouthful, I'm swinging back and forth on whether or not I really like it. Odd one.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Parents brought me over a box of British beers, today I've had a greene king IPA and a greene king gold, neither were good but hard to explain why, not as crisp and definitley not as fresh as the Camden IPA that's in my fridge, not as fruity either

I had the misfortune to go to an event at a venue that only serves Bud. Haven't had that in nearly 20 years, and I remembered why after the first sip. It tastes of **** biscuits.

I can tolerate the occasional lager, but that shit went down the sink

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I had the misfortune to go to an event at a venue that only serves Bud. Haven't had that in nearly 20 years, and I remembered why after the first sip. It tastes of **** biscuits.

I can tolerate the occasional lager, but that shit went down the sink

I saw Frankie Boyle at the Alexandra in Brum a couple of weeks back. Got there early, so had a beer. Bud. Just gave me the can (large one) and relieved me of circa £8 for the pleasure. 

It wasn't even that cold :( 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â