What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

13 hours ago, Xann said:

We got gifted some bitters from a foodie.

To date the test subject has been gin & tonic.

Been surprised at the results.

Orange and lemon bitters weren't really working for me, will maybe try something with a different spirit?

Cucumber bitters, which sounds a pretty grim concept in isolation tbh, are really good in gin. 

This though...

dashfire-chai_dashfire-chaiwalla-chai-cocktail-bitters-vagabond-series_01__16701.jpg.e90e6095f34933656ebfb666ea495f13.jpg

Chai bitters.

Have to say this seemingly nailed on piece of hipster c**tery is very good. It really raises the standard a notch or two.

I'm on Badvo gin & regular Fever Tree tonic, but I like Lidl's gins and sometimes at 3am the only tonic is Best In tonic, and this is a goer for all.

Feasibly it could clash with specific gin botanicals, but so far I've got to say, if you like a G&T and you see this? Consider giving it a go.

Like chai latte flavouring?

My missus would love that

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like chai latte flavouring?

Similar ingredients , cinnamon, cardamom & fennel, but In a blind test, I wouldn't have got the connection.

Obviously milk or gin + tonic as bases will give you very different results, but the bitter process also really changes flavours.

I thought the lemon one would be a banker. Lemon works with lots of foods, savoury and sweet, but bittered in G&T, meh.

Imagine if Heston had made sirop de gomme based on cola bottle sweets, and that was added to your G&T. That's sort of where we're at?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Our guests this afternoon brought round a bottle of this, which is amazing wine. We have a long connection with it as a group of friends and it isn’t easy to get hold of in the UK. It drank well. I'm scared to look how much it cost him because I know how much it cost me to buy a bottle about 15 years ago when I was the first one to to introduce it to the group

Yes it came with a cork in @sidcow 

Longboard, Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. 2014 vintage. Marvellous !

IMG_1562.jpeg

Holy mother of God. 

Yes, don't look it up. 

Should come with a cork and a screw top and a Newquay Steam Beer flip top. 

And a personal wine waiter. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

a Newquay Steam Beer flip top

I might have posted this before, maybe not, but Newquay Steam with the flip top if bottled, isn’t the original Newquay Steam. Originally “Newquay Steam” was the nickname for Tuborg Gold. More Tuborg Gold was sold in about 3 pubs in Newquay than the rest of the uk put together. Anyway, Devenish brewery decided to cash in on the rep and started selling the bottles of actually newly named Newquay steam, and apart from us locals who knew, all the tourists just asked for and got the new stuff and because there were loads more of them, it completely took over from Tuborg Gold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Our guests this afternoon brought round a bottle of this, which is amazing wine. We have a long connection with it as a group of friends and it isn’t easy to get hold of in the UK. It drank well. I'm scared to look how much it cost him because I know how much it cost me to buy a bottle about 15 years ago when I was the first one to to introduce it to the group

Yes it came with a cork in @sidcow 

Longboard, Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. 2014 vintage. Marvellous !

IMG_1562.jpeg

RRV Pinot Noir is the best. Is that a single vineyard?

My wife;s family has property in Sebastopol, Sonoma County just around the corner from the Russian River Valley. We used to love visiting all of the vineyards.

Now we have kids and are miserable.

15 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Roses.  All the rain we got this winter really made its mark.

We have had none stop rain storms every day for almost a month. It's unheard of in Denver - haven't turned on my sprinklers for the lawn yet (usually May 1st)

Our Peonies have taken an absolute battering though.

On 11/06/2023 at 22:50, TheAuthority said:

RRV Pinot Noir is the best. Is that a single vineyard?

Yes, as far as I know it is. (bottle long gone), definitely an actual vineyard and the price tends to suggest its not a blend

• Like 1

Went to the beer shop in Jinney Ring today as wanted to get a bottle of Bathams for my Dad for father's day. Bought him a bottle of Purity Longhorn too.

Got myself a couple also. The first craft beers other than the limited selection my Morrisons has that I've bought in a while.

First was MANBEARPIGDINOSAUR3_1.jpg?v=1684246203

Which stood out as I've lived in Bath and Portsmouth.

2nd which ive just opened was fierce-brewing-fancy-juice-6-amundsen-co

• Like 3

Couple of refreshing pints in a tap room earlier. 

Elysium - Leviathan Brewing Company - Birmingham

A lovely lazy tropical pale ale. 

Elysium.jpg

Followed by 

Cherry King - Black iris Brewery - Nottingham @Davkaus you know of them? This is a collab with Leviathan. 

Nice fruity sour

Cherry-King.jpg

• Like 1

Â