What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

feels like "helles" is on the brink of becoming very big if not already

good reason for it too, its the pick of german beers

and this is still the best one - 

Augustiner Lagerbier Hell 0,5 l Mw

but benediktiner is aslo very good, so is tegernseer, paulaner muncher hell, monchshof is a good cheap one

Booths has a great selection of Helles, including 4 of the 5 mentioned, not seen Monchshof in there.

• Like 3

I have been a bit wined out lately. It’s my every day tipple, a glass or two after work but currently not feeling it enough beyond a single glass even on a Friday night. Tonight I am on tanquerey gin, blackcurrant royale with tonic. Going to move on to wine next and see if I am still bored with it or not. 

On Friday night it was a few pints of 

- Camden Pale Ale

&

- Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica

Both good, really liked the latter, but both keg, and weren't the best to have with a bad stomach. Well, to be fair, I shouldn't have had any! 

• Like 1

Had a few of the Clwb Tropicas the other night. Lovely as an alternative to real ale

Although 6 pints on a school night is never great, especially when you have a 8am Zoom meeting the next day. 

E20cqm-KXEAgltq-A.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Had a few of the Clwb Tropicas the other night. Lovely as an alternative to real ale

Although 6 pints on a school night is never great, especially when you have a 8am Zoom meeting the next day. 

E20cqm-KXEAgltq-A.jpg

You tried their jam donut ipa ?

12 hours ago, mottaloo said:

You tried their jam donut ipa ?

Yes! Think we spoke about this before. Like raspberry sauce :) Bit sickly. 

• Like 1

daughters 3rd birthday party tomorrow, its custom in germany for the host to get all the drinks and food in for their guests so the wife sent me down the off license to get my pick of beer (we still kind of have them in getranke centres)

7 adults (2 drivers + my wife who is breast feeding) + 4 kids....i got 4 crates in, the wife aint happy 

41 Preguntas Que Cualquiera Odia Profundamente Responder

currently building a trampoline and on the brink of mass murder so started early

Binding - Römer Pils

thats a frankfurt beer, its everywhere there, only drank once in frankfurt and that was in my hotel and its my only bad drinking experience in germany so wanted to try this...its a bit non descript, perfectly fine, very drinkable but its not as crisp and clean as the cologne beers and doesnt have the flavour and body of the bavarian beers, instantly forgettable but ok

Cerveza Flensburger Dunkel 330 cc - Jumbo Store

flensburger is one of my favourite german beers, the normal is great, the gold is great and id never seen this before so got big eyes, its got problems, mainly that its not as good let alone better as standard flensburger, its also not as good as a dunkel (which means dark) weisse beer so i dont really get what its doing, again perfectly drinkable but i know theres better by the same brewery

Erdinger Brauhaus Helles | gratis Lieferung | Graz & Linz | 120 Minuten ...

i've drank this before but only once, actually went for some benidiktiner but this was cheaper, its great, cant really go wrong with erdinger or helles so its a win win

Erdinger Weissbier 500ml Bottle – Newfoundland Labrador Liquor Corporation

not opened these yet, drank them many times before, its obviously mass produced but to me its the gold standard of weissbier, i still lean towards weissbeir being a winter drink not a summer drink as its sligthly heavier, these will be a night capper tommorow in my erdinger weisbier glass with the wife and father in law anxiously watching me pour it

Erdinger Weissbier Glass - Erdinger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The head on that pint is a disgrace.

Honest it's considered a skill! That's what the wife and father in law will watch me for, weissbier pouring is a serious thing, the glass is designed for that head (kW?)

Beer and glass in the fridge, then you swill the glass with cold water, you pour it like a Guinness, then when you get to like the last 2cm in the bottle you stop pouring you shake the bottle (or lie it flat on a table and roll it as the father in law does!) to create the head and then add it on to create that big a head

Me shouting "do you wanna flake with that" is completely wasted on them

Watching someone roll a bottle or beer along a table is a bizarre thing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Honest it's considered a skill! That's what the wife and father in law will watch me for, weissbier pouring is a serious thing, the glass is designed for that head (kW?)

Beer and glass in the fridge, then you swill the glass with cold water, you pour it like a Guinness, then when you get to like the last 2cm in the bottle you stop pouring you shake the bottle (or lie it flat on a table and roll it as the father in law does!) to create the head and then add it on to create that big a head

Me shouting "do you wanna flake with that" is completely wasted on them

Watching someone roll a bottle or beer along a table is a bizarre thing

Guinness has became my poison when I drink but it’s a nice head . Can’t be doing with heads like that on lager . Funny how different counties do things. 

42 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Guinness has became my poison when I drink but it’s a nice head . Can’t be doing with heads like that on lager . Funny how different counties do things. 

As a complete guess... In the UK we serve beer on tap in pint glasses, you put a huge head on it and people feel short changed

Germany they pour beer out of bottles in to glasses designed for that bottle, you get what you pay for so you're less inclined to be bothered by it

The bottle culture is pretty mad really, hardly anything is on tap

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As a complete guess... In the UK we serve beer on tap in pint glasses, you put a huge head on it and people feel short changed

Germany they pour beer out of bottles in to glasses designed for that bottle, you get what you pay for so you're less inclined to be bothered by it

The bottle culture is pretty mad really, hardly anything is on tap

It’s not that I feel short changed but many will. Big head on lager tastes shit .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/04/2023 at 20:23, villa4europe said:

daughters 3rd birthday party tomorrow, its custom in germany for the host to get all the drinks and food in for their guests so the wife sent me down the off license to get my pick of beer (we still kind of have them in getranke centres)

7 adults (2 drivers + my wife who is breast feeding) + 4 kids....i got 4 crates in, the wife aint happy 

This ain't only a German thing. We had a BBQ last Friday. 9 of us. 4 drivers, and my pregnant wife. I bought 8 beers, as no one really drinks beer in that crowd, but just to have. She goes and buys 4 more. Only 2 got drunk the entire night. It happens every time, with food, with drink. Rather be way over than have any risk of being under I guess.

Â