Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I spoke to a friend in NYC yesterday who said the city is mainly like a ghost town. There were pro-Palestinian protests outside the Israeli embassy and pro Israel protests in various locations.

With a large Jewish population in NYC and a mainly liberal population to boot, there are a lot of very strong feelings about the current events (heck just reading this thread people are obviously very invested on VT.)

My friend said it feels like a tinder box in the city right now.

How can it be a ghost town but also a tinder box? 

BBC Verify has confirmed women and young children were killed when a strike hit their vehicles as they headed away from northern Gaza

Analysis of images from the scene show some of those who died were aged between two and five

BBC reporting that women and children were bombed following the Israeli advice to head south and using the safe route indicated on the Israeli leaflet drop.

What Hamas did was barbarous. The revenge killings, equally so.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

What's with the Free Palestine protest outside the BBC offices? Do they expect Gary Lineker & Huw Edwards to fly to Gaza on a rescue mission and end the war and save the people and free Palestine?

Also throwing red paint at the BBC offices solves nothing 

I went along.

Not for Free Palestine, but just because I was hoping to hit Nicholas Witchell with some Dulux pepper red matt emulsion. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

Le2n2MorwAGHhfnRrfThaAPMhEQ=&risl=&pid=I

Dulux actually do a 'monarch red' gloss. Probably more apt for Witchell :) 

Edited by Xela

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

BBC reporting that women and children were bombed following the Israeli advice to head south and using the safe route indicated on the Israeli leaflet drop.

What Hamas did was barbarous. The revenge killings, equally so.

Horiffic

"Why are you killing their women and children?" 

"Because they killed our women and children" 

"Why did they kill your women and children?" 

"Because we killed their women and children" 

ad nauseam, back through the centuries. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"Why are you killing their women and children?" 

"Because they killed our women and children" 

"Why did they kill your women and children?" 

"Because we killed their women and children" 

ad nauseam, back through the centuries. 

Pretty much nails it, add in some arguments about made up sky gods and who “owns” a piece of land and you’ve got a seemingly never ending recipe for horror. It’ll get worse, it’ll get better for a bit, I’ll get worse again etc etc Feels like a good few centuries to go on this yet. Still not that bright we humans. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I can’t imagine what the plan is at the moment other than angry response.

Didn’t they destroy Hamas its weapons and its network of tunnels back in 2014? It’s not an achievable aim, unless there is half a plan to govern or seize the northern piece of Gaza. I can’t imagine governing and policing it is something Israel would want to get bogged down in.

I think the best they can hope for here is to buy themselves a decade, until the next generation growing up in a camp with no family no education and no future are old enough to do something similar again. Which they will, they will commit some ridiculous foul atrocity for which there can be no justification, and then Israel will go in and flatten it and bomb the tunnels and declare this to be the third complete wipe out of Hamas.

Fascinating how long the blood thirsty on both sides can continue this.

They don’t want to wipe them out completely.. how will they enjoy themselves every now and again?

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Purely guess work on my end, but the BBC has on the whole been positive toward Israel and Israel’s right to defend itself. 

Have they though?  Feels like they’ve been pretty neutral and balanced - refusing to call Hamas “terrorists”, showing a lot about the condition of people on the Gaza strip, having a Palestinian reporter doing broadcasts from ground level in Gaza, etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Have they though?  Feels like they’ve been pretty neutral and balanced - refusing to call Hamas “terrorists”, showing a lot about the condition of people on the Gaza strip, having a Palestinian reporter doing broadcasts from ground level in Gaza, etc. 

I wasn't really trying to take a position, I was trying to explain why some supporters of Palestine could be protesting the BBC.

• Like 1

The tanks will roll in. 

Palestinian civilians will die. Hamas don't care. They lap it up. 

The Israeli hostages will die. The Israeli military don't care. They lap it up. 

Contrary to received wisdom, this isn't even about land or culture or religion. 

It's about male swagger and boys' toys. Testosterone and guns. 

words removed, the lot of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thug said:

They don’t want to wipe them out completely.. how will they enjoy themselves every now and again?

They'll just start on the west bank instead - I'm increasingly convinced that the Israeli plan here is to remove the Gaza from the map permanently.

• Like 2

Â