Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

21 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It has a lot to do with it when UK Jews are having to answer questions from rabid pro-Palestinians about Israel.

I don’t care for Israel, I don’t want to defend it, I’m expected to by a lot of folks who are so far down the rabbit hole that you can’t even imagine it.

I’m never going to move to Israel or vote in their elections, so why should I be answering for anything they do?

Are you held to account for all Christians at war because you may be Christian? The world’s gone so mad it’s beyond me.

All fair points. But aren't you equally unfairly pressured by other Jews to 100% side with Israel, or else be labelled a traitor to your faith/'race'? As far as I can see, the Zionists are as bad for the world's Jews as the jihadists are for the world's Muslims. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All fair points. But aren't you equally unfairly pressured by other Jews to 100% side with Israel, or else be labelled a traitor to your faith/'race'? As far as I can see, the Zionists are as bad for the world's Jews as the jihadists are for the world's Muslims. 

Not at all. The most rabid zionists aren’t in the UK, they moved to Israel long ago.

Shamefully Jews not in Israel are getting harried by people who are rightly angry at Israel when they tend to not want close ties to the place. We’re easy targets for people in the West who are infuriated by their social media echo chambers.

Outside the local congregation I got confronted with pictures of bombed children telling me I’m enjoying it as late as this morning, from local students at Southampton Uni. The feeling of the people who aren’t as old as me is to move to Israel because this sort of bullshit is way more than many can handle.

Edited by magnkarl

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the aim remains to either remove Gaza from the map altogether or shrink it significantly - a good strategy to reduce terrorist attacks along a border is to remove as much of that border as you can.

After some geography homework, the Gaza strip, as it's often called, is currently around 25 miles long and 7.5 miles at its widest point. It's perimeter is around 66 miles long compiled of 7 miles bordering Egypt to the South, a reasonably straight coastline of 25 miles to the West and the remaining 34 miles bordering Israel to the North and East.

It's possible Israel is attempting to force the strip into a 'Gaza square' at the Egyptian border. It'll shrink their border to secure from 34 miles to 14, a reduction of almost 60%. It'll make life in Gaza even more difficult than it is now and presumably restrict any population growth, another benefit to Israel.

36 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It has a lot to do with it when UK Jews are having to answer questions from rabid pro-Palestinians about Israel.

I don’t care for Israel, I don’t want to defend it, I’m expected to by a lot of folks who are so far down the rabbit hole that you can’t even imagine it.

I’m never going to move to Israel or vote in their elections, so why should I be answering for anything they do?

Are you held to account for all Christians at war because you may be Christian? The world’s gone so mad it’s beyond me.

An example if you will, I gave one of my extended elderly family members a ride to the Southampton Hebrew congregation for a memorial service for one of the kids that got killed at the festival today, and outside this congregation you’ve got a crowd of people burning Israeli flags, shouting all sorts of stuff about zionists and being incredibly threatening.

How do you think it feels?

Horrible I would imagine.

I do not understand why people are allowed to celebrate a terrorist atrocity involving children, women and babies on the streets of this country without any consequence 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Horrible I would imagine.

I do not understand why people are allowed to celebrate a terrorist atrocity involving children, women and babies on the streets of this country without any consequence 

Orange lodge marches are still legal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Orange lodge marches are still legal.

Commemorating the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 to burning flags and celebrating the massacre of people whose bodies are not even cold is not a credible comparison 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs, today:

"There is an opportunity for Israel to make amends in the coming hours. If not, the resistance will enhance its strategies and change the map of the region." 

Source: Al Jazeera Live 

Israel has already delayed entry into Gaza at US urging, but suspect that was to give the US time to get more assets into place. Meanwhile, Iran is talking itself into a position it can’t credibly retreat from - on the face of it a militarily unwise course of action. 

Can’t help thinking there is another shoe to drop that we aren’t seeing yet, because Tehran is normally far more pragmatic than this in calculating the odds.  What, for example, did Iran manage to negotiate from Russia in return for all the loitering munitions, ammunition, artillery barrels, and instructors?

Yes, there’s a bit of head scratching on what the next step will be for Iran. Perhaps they don’t think the IDF will go as far as completely reshaping Gaza? I’m not sure. Perhaps the damage done and the imminent invasion is enough for them. The Palestinians a useful patsy for them. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There you go again, falling into the antisemitism trap. 

Nothing to do with the 'evil Jew', it's the evil Israeli regime. Just as condemning jihadism is not Islamophobic. 

They're evil for wanting to wipe out a terrorist organization that is detrimental to the safety of the Palestinian citizens they are meant to govern? I'm not really sure what people think they should have done in response to the barbaric slaughterings last weeks, especially when those were committed by individuals who have stated they want Israel and all Jews wiped off the map.

I can't believe it's a week later and people still think Israel should do nothing, leave the hostages, and let Hamas grow. Only terrorists, and not Palestinians, win in that situation.

Just as being objective is not Islamophobic or Palestinianphobic...

Edited by a-k

1 minute ago, a-k said:

They're evil for wanting to wipe out a terrorist organization that is detrimental to the safety of the Palestinian citizens they are meant to govern? I'm not really sure what people think they should have done in response to the barbaric slaughterings last weeks, especially when those were committed by individuals who have stated they want Israel and all Jews wiped off the map.

I can't believe it's a week later and people still think Israel should do nothing, leave the hostages, and let Hamas grow. Only terrorists, and not Palestinians, win in that situation.

You should name these people that think Israel should do nothing.

18 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

This is good news right?

Assuming they keep civilian casualties to an absolute minimum, only target Hamas, wipe them out and then retreat and give the land back to Palestinians then its great news

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Assuming they keep civilian casualties to an absolute minimum, only target Hamas, wipe them out and then retreat and give the land back to Palestinians then its great news

Even Zaniolo wouldn't give you odds on that

• Haha 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-67108364

Cabinet minister Gideon Sa’ar has appeared on Israeli TV. He said Hamas must be destroyed so it could never threaten Israel again, adding this would serve as a lesson to the region.

He also said that Gaza must end up smaller - with Israel taking control of a belt of land in the east and north of the strip. This would be a "security zone" and anyone who entered it would be "intercepted" by the military.He made clear these objectives were his personal views. but that he was saying them everywhere. Sa’ar said losing land was the price that “Arabs understand”.

A price that Arabs understand.

3 hours ago, a-k said:

All the kids that survive Israel‘s attempts to wipe out Hamas will be the next generations Hamas.  Wonder why they would have so much hatred towards Israel.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

All the kids that survive Israel‘s attempts to wipe out Hamas will be the next generations Hamas.  Wonder why they would have so much hatred towards Israel.

…and equally, the school friends of stolen kidnapped Israeli children will grow up to be soldiers and politicians hell bent on keeping Palestinians in a pen.

Eventually, at some point they will need to talk to each other, or one side will be eradicated, by bulldozers, or bullets, or a bomb nobody thought they’d use.

• Like 4

Â