New Manager Speculation

maqroll

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

Is this the young progressive manager that eveyone has been crying out for ?  - and if he bombs will those calling for young progressive - stop making such calls ? - Because in my opinion we have tried young progressive before with Garde and Sherwood - but then these are dismissed as not progressive.

So is Henry project progressive ? - even if he fails ? 

Did you bother to check the age of both Garde and Sherwood before posting this garbage?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Excited by the unknown I suggest - I get that.

But to me the two worst managers in recent times were Sherwood and Garde - both totally out of there depth at a big club.

Not just unknown, no. They could appoint my neighbour, he’d be unknown. There’s more to it than that.

Yes  those two were poor. But we weren’t their first job, so that’s different. And there’s loads of other examples, as I said, where it works ( just as loads that don’t).

Just because it might not work, means nothing to me.

Man Utd have had their pick since Fergie left - got them nowhere fast. Nobody can guarantee anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Excited by the unknown I suggest - I get that.

But to me the two worst managers in recent times were Sherwood and Garde - both totally out of there depth at a big club.

In fairness to Garde he inherited possibly the worst Villa side there has ever been. Guardiola wouldn't have kept us in the Premier League that season.

Sherwood... fair he was doing so well until we gave him a summer transfer window, although I don't think it's ever been proven which players he brought in and which one's were chosen by the board.

Celtic: Brendan Rodgers rules himself out of Aston Villa jobBreaking news

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has ruled himself out of contention for the vacant Aston Villa manager's job.

Rodgers is on the Championship club's three-man shortlist to replace Steve Bruce, who was sacked on 3 October after one win in nine matches.

Villa are also considering ex-Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and Rui Faria, Jose Mourinho's long-time assistant.

"I'm the Celtic manager and I love it and have lots of challenges here," Rodgers told BBC Scotland.

Speaking after Sunday's 6-0 win over St Johnstone, he added: "There is always speculation.

"Villa is a top Premier League club in the Championship and I'm sure with their support base and resources they will try and get back there as quickly as they can."

Last month, Rodgers revealed he had had "a few offers" to leave Celtic and turned down an approach from a Chinese club during the summer.

Villa lost 2-1 at Millwall with under-23 coach Kevin MacDonald in charge on Saturday and are now 15th in the English second tier.

Former Villarreal coach Fran Escriba and Benfica B coach Bruno Lage have also been linked with the job.

Henry and Faria have both spoken recently about their desire to become full-time managers.

Henry is part of Belgium's coaching team under boss Roberto Martinez, while Faria has experience with Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid but left United last May for personal reasons.

It is understood there have been no formal approaches to any candidates as yet.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45779373

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

No the poster prior said I never posted anything constructive - Ive have been saying all thread we go hell for leather and land the best manager we feasibly can - (constructive) - I said I would like to see Brendan Rodgers (constructive)

Having answered the posters questions - I posed on of my own - Why do we think Henry will be so good ? - serious question - no hidden agenda.

Every appointment is a risk. Generally people often take the opinion that greater experience reduces that risk. But I think we’re in a new era of coaches, that bring a different, often more expansive approach to the modern game. This new approach has negated many of the advantages that experience brought. Basically their experience was gained in the old style which, without dismissing the basics, has now lost much of it’s relevance to how the game is now being coached. 

So to move forward we need coaches with a modern approach and so by the very fact that they are relatively new, experienced ones are few and far between. The likes of Guardiola and Klopp aren’t currently achievable. Even guys like Eddie Howe wouldn’t be very easy to get. So we need someone from the next wave, who won’t have the experience and so will be learning on the job to some extent. This is where we are, if we can attract TH and JT, then perhaps despite their limited personal  coaching experience, at least they will have worked under world class coaches. Additionally  they are less likely to be overawed by the size and expectations of the club. The glare of the spotlight will be on them from day one, just like it has been for the whole of their senior careers. That’s one experience they do have. 

• Like 1

My thoughts on the Henry/Terry combo:

Between the two of them, they've played for a dozen world class managers and have won every trophy there is to win in Europe.  They will have learned a thing or two about the modern game (tactics, fitness, training, etc.) and should be able to apply at least something to our dressing room to improve things in the short term.  Long term is where the real test will come in.  Our problems with the team are a bit like those we had when Lambert got the sack.  Even someone as tactically clueless as Tim Sherwood got us playing well again with a fresh approach, but the wheels fell off the following season.  The other great players from their generation are doing alright as fledgling managers, but they aren't exactly performing miracles either.  Gerrard is doing ok at Rangers and Lampard has had a mixed bag of results at Derby (but one of his players is getting called up to the England squad next week, so that's a plus).  The real test will be with us fans and the Villa board.  Are we willing to work with an inexperienced manager and give him the time/resources needed to build us into a stable Premier League side again?  What happens when results don't go our way?  Both Henry and Terry are born winners and only played on fantastic teams during their careers.  What happens when we hit a rough patch of form?  How will they react as managers?  What about us fans and the board?  Will we be willing to stick with them as they try to figure things out?  I think we, as fans, all agree that we have the best squad in the Championship on paper, even with the huge question marks over our defense right now.  If they don't get us winning immediately, how long before we start getting on their backs?  I don't know if we're going to be patient enough to support a manager who doesn't start picking up wins immediately.

• Like 2

If it is Henry....just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and to get his vision/mantra will take time to embed so it won't be instant that we play this wonderful attacking football we all want to see but if we look organised with a game plan and we actually press harder and use the ball more, it will be an improvement.

• Like 2