New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

If it is Henry....just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and to get his vision/mantra will take time to embed so it won't be instant that we play this wonderful attacking football we all want to see but if we look organised with a game plan and we actually press harder and use the ball more, it will be an improvement.

Jesus get your excuses in early.

He hasn't criticized the fitness of the players and said he is instilling a new ethos yet

12 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

In fairness to Garde he inherited possibly the worst Villa side there has ever been. Guardiola wouldn't have kept us in the Premier League that season.

Sherwood... fair he was doing so well until we gave him a summer transfer window, although I don't think it's ever been proven which players he brought in and which one's were chosen by the board.

Agreed - I feel this as well, the club shafted Lambert, but what this guy put up with makes Lambert's job seem like a picnic in the park - As for Sherwood he'll come again - just you watch.

The spurs job came too early in his career and his initial success possibly did go to his head.

He'll be back with a little more humility and prove himself over imo.

• Like 1

Henry taking on this job means that he believes in his ability to be successful here but he would also know about our players.

Normally when a head coach is interviewed for a role, he would have to provide some sort of presentation in addition to a report on individual players at the club and the way forward.

Henry will have enough information on the players , it is really about how well the players can adapt to Henry.

I wonder if Brendan Rogers would have been so quick to rule himself out if he didn’t pretty much believe that the job was going to be filled by Henry. 

I recall Martinez “turning us down” when betting had been suspended on Moyes being our next manager. Hope this doesn’t fail at the last hurdle like that did. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wonder if Brendan Rogers would have been so quick to rule himself out if he didn’t pretty much believe that the job was going to be filled by Henry. 

I recall Martinez “turning us down” when betting had been suspended on Moyes being our next manager. Hope this doesn’t fail at the last hurdle like that did. 

Everything I back falls at the first hurdle!?

I started this yesterday after Milwall, I wrote “I think the manager’s first job is hire a defensive coach.  We need to find a way to keep a reasonably consistent back line.  Personally, I would pick 4 across the back and have them learn to stay home, stay disciplined, keep organized, cut out missing marks and careless errors.  We don’t have the players for a back line that’s impenetrable.  But we can play disciplined and organized enough that it takes a very good play to beat them.  But they have to learn to do that without 1,2 or 5 other midfielders and forwards taking heavy defensive responsibilities.  (Restarts excepted of course). 

We don’t have the players to be ironclad, so we need to play organized enough that we can hope to outscore them”

i had to leave and didn’t post.  I was going to close with the manager needs to be a planning and tactics guy to create a system and adapt it to opponents as we develop it, then identify and sign the right players to make it work best 

having terry as a number 2, starting as player coach until we can sign the defenders we need would be BRILLIANT

so Thierry may or may not be the right guy, but Terry as a number 2 with the plan for him to organize and play until January addresses the short term crisis with long term benefits, better than any other idea I’ve heard.  

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Jesus get your excuses in early.

He hasn't criticized the fitness of the players and said he is instilling a new ethos yet

Crikey! He hasn’t even got the job yet and you’re writing him off!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Agreed - I feel this as well, the club shafted Lambert, but what this guy put up with makes Lambert's job seem like a picnic in the park - As for Sherwood he'll come again - just you watch.

The spurs job came too early in his career and his initial success possibly did go to his head.

Agreed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Really ?I doubt he will ever manage again 

• Like 4

Henry as manager and Terry as his second, now I would accept that what the media is suggesting and think it would be the best move that our owners would make. 

Edited by Dave-R

8 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I will never ever ever understand the view that Sherwood is a good manager. The guy is not just a bad manager...he is simply not a football manager at all. I don’t expect to see him in any dugout ever again.

He was on BT Sport yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised he didn't jump on the media bandwagon saying sacking Bruce was a mistake and having a dig at us.  He said he wanted us go move away from the old school manager and the fans need something to get excited about.  Possibly the most sense I've ever heard come out of his mouth.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Henry as manager and Terry as his second, now I would accept that what the media is suggesting and think it would be the best move that our owners would make. 

After where we were early in the last close season, how any Villa fan can question Henry as manager is beyond me. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Henry taking on this job means that he believes in his ability to be successful here but he would also know about our players.

Normally when a head coach is interviewed for a role, he would have to provide some sort of presentation in addition to a report on individual players at the club and the way forward.

Henry will have enough information on the players , it is really about how well the players can adapt to Henry.

and the £2m salary .....