New Manager Speculation

maqroll

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

If Terry does come in as assistant manager to Herny i think it will be about  12 mins 32 seconds into the first training session that Henry will be on his knees begging Terry to reconsider his retirement.

Thinking about it, this makes me think he might not be coming. 

It's weird, isn't it? The timing is decidedly significant, I think, but it could be 2+2=5.

He's held off announcing retirement until today, presumably because he thought he would play again and he denied several weeks ago he was retiring.

Now, amidst massive speculation of him coming here, a team that really could do with a CB, he announces his retirement and kiboshes that. However, it doesn't mean he isn't coming here at all, just that if he does he ain't playing. If anything, it fuels the rumours that he is going to be coming here with Henry, as suggested but in a coaching-only capacity.

All very odd. :lol:

Edited by privateer

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

It's weird, isn't it? The timing is decidedly significant, I think, but it could be 2+2=5.

He's held off announcing retirement until today, presumably because he thought he would play again and he denied several weeks ago he was retiring.

Now, amidst massive speculation of him coming here, a team that really could do with a CB, he announces his retirement and kiboshes that. However, it doesn't mean he isn't coming here at all, just that if he does he ain't playing. If anything, it fuels the rumours that he is going to coming here with Henry.

All very odd. :lol:

Agreed. Though i think if he does come as assistant, retiring is a big mistake. Could we be in another position this season where we play 4 RB's across the back 4 whilst John Terry is sat on the bench?

Amidst cries of 'get your boots on' from the Holte ?

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. Though i think if he does come as assistant, retiring is a big mistake. Could we be in another position this season where we play 4 RB's across the back 4 whilst John Terry is sat on the bench?

Amidst cries of 'get your boots on' from the Holte ?

Frankly, if Terry, Henry and the other whisper of Vieira is true, all three would be instant starters in my Villa XI at the moment. They can all re-retire at the end of January when we've drafted in some replacements. :lol:

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are risks in football just like anything in life.

Sometimes its the position you are in that either allows or dissuedes from a gamble.

we are 15th in the league, within reason nothing to lose......We have tried all the safe bets, all the sensible decisions.....its offered very little after 10 years or more.

Many successful people are brave enough to look past the run of the mill, the usual , the predictable.

Bill gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos.....to pick a few....challenge the status quo.

They all could have failed....but you have to believe.

I think in Thierry Henry, we have a chance, only a chance of moving away from our dour, predictable, unconvincing football......from where we are right now, i think its a chance well worth taking.

its the right time for both of us.

Have a like mate. Well Said

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sometimes its the position you are in that either allows or dissuedes from a gamble.

we are 15th in the league, within reason nothing to lose......We have tried all the safe bets, all the sensible decisions.

Many successful people are brave enough to look past the run of the mill, the usual , the predictable.

Bill gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos.....to pick a few....challenge the status quo.

I think in Thierry Henry, we have a chance, only a chance of moving away from our dour, predictable, unconvincing football......from where we are right now, i think its a chance well worth taking.

I reckon he wanted the job in the summer but the owners gave Bruce a chance instead. He is been waiting for the opportunity again hence turned down the Bordeaux role. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was wondering, he seems to have been enjoying himself hugely the last few months. I guess once you are out of it, it's probably hard to think about getting back on it again. 

So either the whole Henry / Terry double act is just completely fabricated or it's true and he's here in a non playing role. 

I think it's the former because if he was here as assistant manager, with our defensive problems it would be a complete no brainer to be available to play, at least till January

Therefore I don't think he's coming here. 

Not really. If he's decided to come as assistant manager, surely he wants to focus on that role and not being the defensive saviour on the pitch. 

He also hasn't played a game since may. It would take him awhile to get match fit. 

The timing of this is too much of a coincidence. Fully expect henry/terry confirmed tomorrow.

Remember how some itk said the new manager was someone that hadn't been mentioned in the media speculation?  Turns out the Henry and Terry team will be Karl Henry and Terry Connor.  The Villa tradition of great appointments of the past decade lives on!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

we are 15th in the league, within reason nothing to lose......We have tried all the safe bets, all the sensible decisions.....its offered very little after 10 years or more.

Yep. It's going to take time though. I really hope that they do not get the same reception from the crowd that Houllier got when trying to change our style of play. It probably has to get a little worse before it gets better. Personally I view this season as a write off already and it gives us a great chance to try and change our style of play without any huge pressure. If we can sneak the playoffs then great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I just don't see whats in it for Terry coming here as no-2 ? - To me he seems more manager material than Henry, so wouldn't he think " if Henry can get a top job so can I."

He hasn't got his coaching badges (Terry) maybe we following a Swansea type model so if Henry does well and goes to one of his previous club then Terry can step up as Manager and promote a young up and coming assistant.

This is probably the reasoning behind it all. As Henry has his UEFA A Coach Badges and Terry doesn't

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yep. It's going to take time though. I really hope that they do not get the same reception from the crowd that Houllier got when trying to change our style of play. It probably has to get a little worse before it gets better. Personally I view this season as a write off already and it gives us a great chance to try and change our style of play without any huge pressure. If we can sneak the playoffs then great.

Houllier took a team that finished 6th and destroyed anything good about them while attempting to change things. Henry is in a much better situation. Fans have no excuse to not be patient with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If you think all our problems were down to Bruce’s management of the players then you will be disappointed.  He is left the squad with one of the worst keepers and defences in the league. 

Yep - and we bring in a new manager to fix those things - or else whats the point ?  -