New Manager Speculation

maqroll

41 minutes ago, villanmac said:

He just puts the cones out, does the interviews and every week pressses the big red button on the computer which sorts out the week's tactics and the training. 

Surely we can make a bid for the big red button even with FFP constrictions? 

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Exactly. Smith would bring an absolute ton of stuff he learned at how Brentford operate + stuff he maybe wanted to implement himself but benham didn't. He is a serious coach on the grass though fellas. Really good.

Think you should do a bit more research about how Brentford work.You honestly think Matthew Benham stops Smith implementing things?Wilder at Sheffield United hit the nail on the head when asked about being like Brentford he replied “we will need to employ 180 people”He won’t join you as he is part of a big structure that involves many people and you  could never replicate this or should need to with the resources you have as a massive club.Wonder how your fans would have responded to our start last season when we had no wins in first 9 games and were in the bottom 3 you are now 2 points away from us and it’s a doomsday at Villa Park ....incredible 

• Like 4

It’s not just a system at Brentford, it’s an infrastructure. We’d need to replicate the whole thing here otherwise I wouldn’t bother with gambling on Dean Smith. 

Not only did they scrap their youth system and replace it with a B team, they’ve implemented several methods that form a very intricately connected, multi faceted way of doing things. This article explains it: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/12/brentford-fc---the-club-thinking-outside-the-box/

Analytics is a way of thinking,” says Brentford’s co-director of football Rasmus Ankersen as the Championship club opens its doors to Telegraph Sport to offer an insight into how they want to “out-think the opposition” and plot a path into the Premier League.

It’s not just as simple as they have a playing system, and it wouldn’t be a simple as just recruiting Dean Smith. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Think you should do a bit more research about how Brentford work.You honestly think Matthew Benham stops Smith implementing things?Wilder at Sheffield United hit the nail on the head when asked about being like Brentford he replied “we will need to employ 180 people”He won’t join you as he is part of a big structure that involves many people and you  could never replicate this or should need to with the resources you have as a massive club.Wonder how your fans would have responded to our start last season when we had no wins in first 9 games and were in the bottom 3 you are now 2 points away from us and it’s a doomsday at Villa Park ....incredible 

Half right he is a cog in a wheel at Brentford. But I think Smith would be very tempted and I am not sure Brentford would stand in his way.

Hope it's not him ...and the end of the day he has a few mid table finishes in the lower divisions ....I really hope our owners have more in the tank than Dean Smith.

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

So to be clear. 

Dean Smith is essentially rubbish.  Anyone could do his job because the system is what wins the games. 

The players are essentially rubbish and so long as they fit into the system, regardless of their ability the system will win the games. 

I DON'T BUY IT. 

Not saying he is the man for the job but I just don't believe some magical system allows managers with little talent to manage on autopilot and average players hugely over acheived because of some system. 

If it was the case everyone would do it. 

It's all just sound bytes in my opinion. 

Rarely does any one factor brings success.....its a combination.

However, I did expect exactly what I am seeing At Man U after Fergie......and Nottingham Forest after Cloughie.

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Half right he is a cog in a wheel at Brentford. But I think Smith would be very tempted and I am not sure Brentford would stand in his way.

Hope it's not him ...and the end of the day he has a few mid table finishes in the lower divisions ....I really hope our owners have more in the tank than Dean Smith.

If it’s offered to Smith he will take it  and you are correct the club wouldn’t staand in his way as long as the compensation was agreed.which wouldn’t be much.I honestly don’t know if he would be a good fit for your club but he is a fan and is highly thought of by our players.I would put it alongside the appointment of  Higgingbottom at Leeds did a great job at Barnsley a club with limited funds and some good young players but had a poor start and they pulled the plug early.

54 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

You've pretty much answered your own question in reverse.

Anyway, piss off Steve/Alex you're not fooling anybody behind this profile.

;)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How would you have responded if Brentford had the squad we have and had that start. It’s not incredible at all, you can’t on one hand say we’re a massive club with huge resources and then be critical of fans for having higher expectations than those of a smaller, albeit well run club, with much lesser resources. 

I get what you are saying and maybe would feel differently if I was a Villa fan.Just that things can change very quickly in this league look where Fulham where last November.Not a great fan of Bruce and heard him on the radio the other day and he reminds me of Harry Redknapp talking himself up saying he’d  only lost 2 in 10.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I get what you are saying and maybe would feel differently if I was a Villa fan.Just that things can change very quickly in this league look where Fulham where last November.Not a great fan of Bruce and heard him on the radio the other day and he reminds me of Harry Redknapp talking himself up saying he’d  only lost 2 in 10.

For some fans, me included. It’s not just the football and results. It’s his whole demeanour. He acts like he is our saviour. Constantly has a dig at fans. 

Has an inflated opinion of himself that isn’t justified at all.

He has totally lost the fans and by the look of the body language of some of the players he may have lost some of them too. 

It would need a massive upturn in performances and results for him to turn this one around. 

Edit: there is no indication of this happening. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

As I have said months ago.

Dean Smith is part of an infrastructure, i wouldn't be surprised if his  training schedule is actually prepared for him by other staff.

He is wonderful for Brentford but he will not work here especially midway through a season.

Honestly, I can see someone like Claudio Ranieri arriving on a short term deal to give us that push for promotion.

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Exactly. Smith would bring an absolute ton of stuff he learned at how Brentford operate + stuff he maybe wanted to implement himself but benham didn't. He is a serious coach on the grass though fellas. Really good.

I happen to think the new owners will appoint someone from abroad. They'll look at the impact likes of Nuno and Bielsa have made and conclude championship experience is less relevant than two years back.

I don't have a favourite name but I want next manager to get us on the front foot more, look at our attacking options ffs. A novice manager like Darren Moore is getting plenty out of WBA's good forwards.

I want someone who'll improve our players on the training pitch and get a reliable way of playing out on the pitch, SB is such a lazy and hands off manager at those things. Dean Smith is someone who scores quite highly on these things if you look at how he's operated at Brentford and Walsall so should certainly be considered.

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am really baffled at what a success Smith made of his time at Walsall without the Brentford machine behind him. 

Just got lucky I guess. 

was he that much of a success at Walsall?I remember most of their fans not being that impressed with him and weren’t bothered when he joined Brentford.

• Like 1