New Manager Speculation

maqroll

10 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

was he that much of a success at Walsall?I remember most of their fans not being that impressed with him and weren’t bothered when he joined Brentford.

He took over Walsall in January and they were rock bottom with 9 points from safety. He kept them up. That’s an achievement in itself.

He had them at 4th when he left. 

How many Walsall fans do you even know being from Brentford??

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

As I have said months ago.

Dean Smith is part of an infrastructure, i wouldn't be surprised if his  training schedule is actually prepared for him by other staff.

He is wonderful for Brentford but he will not work here especially midway through a season.

Honestly, I can see someone like Claudio Ranieri arriving on a short term deal to give us that push for promotion.

And this is the short termism that will get us no where....our next manager needs to be young and progressive....not a quick fix papering over the cracks!

21 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

was he that much of a success at Walsall?I remember most of their fans not being that impressed with him and weren’t bothered when he joined Brentford.

You’re just trying to keep your boy. Come on Deano bring your claret and blue heart home to where it belongs....:flag:

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I happen to think the new owners will appoint someone from abroad. They'll look at the impact likes of Nuno and Bielsa have made and conclude championship experience is less relevant than two years back.

I get the point you are making, but has Bielsa really made that much of an impact? Let’s not forget that Leeds started last season well. Only at the end of the season can it be judged that he has made an impact 

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He took over Walsall in January and they were rock bottom with 9 points from safety. He kept them up. That’s an achievement in itself.

I've been following Walsall since 2008 so seen all of Smith's reign.

As VLV says above he produced a miracle to keep them up in 2011. Over next few years he turned from a typical long ball lower league team into a possession based one, mid table finishes but a clear change of play. 14/15 he became first Walsall manager to take them to Wembley. 15/16 I think if he stays full season Walsall go up automatically to the championship instead of Burton Albion.

Give him time and I'd be confident he'd turn us into a possession based team with clear way of playing. If the demand is for promotion at all costs this season then he probably isn't the right type of manager for that demand.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get the point you are making, but has Bielsa really made that much of an impact? Let’s not forget that Leeds started last season well. Only at the end of the season can it be judged that he has made an impact 

Well considering his lack of English and experience of this league he's hit the ground running far more quickly than SB did here. Leeds fans and press are raving about the football they're playing. I agree they could blow up later on as they have tended to do in recent times but ask any of the Leeds fans on here and I reckon they'd stay this is the best football they've seen since the O'Leary days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Give him time and I'd be confident he'd turn us into a possession based team with clear way of playing. If the demand is for promotion at all costs this season then he probably isn't the right type of manager for that demand.

...and here in lies the problem!

Fans want good football but how long will this take to install?

40 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

If Smith is basically a guy to show up on a Saturday and sit in the manager's chair while the Brentford machine does all the work, why were Brentford so awful under dijkhuizen who worked under a similar infrastructure( correct me if wrong) ? If by your logic the head coach at Brentford is merely a cog in the wheel .

10 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I don’t care, i want a manager in who has managed at a big club. That subsequently rules out Smith. Sick of all these gambles. 

No guarentee of that either with Garde, Houllier and more relevant RDM all in recent times hitting that criteria. Even Sherwood loosely qualifies for that.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

No guarentee of that either with Garde, Houllier and more relevant RDM all in recent times hitting that criteria. Even Sherwood loosely qualifies for that.

Exactly. If hope the club will do their due diligence on the next man. Proper stuff. Do it right. Like you said...Houllier. managed Liverpool!

53 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Well going from Wikipedia which as we know is always 100% accurate ? he took them over when they were 9 points adrift at the foot of league 1, saved them, took them to their first ever Wembley appearance,  and left them in 4th place having had a bit of a tilt at promotion the year before. 

Not exactly disastrous. 

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We had many posting on our forum.He also went 15 games without a win at Walsall with fans calling for his head.Why not go on their site and ask them.I would think you must know plenty of Walsall fans ask them yourself.We always buy or get potential in as we can’t afford the finished article then we sell them on like we did with Hogan.?

People can say what they like about Allerdyce, but give him a 2 year contract and he'd take us up as champions and keep us up in the premier league in his first year (never been relegated in his career).

Yes his style of football is a bit boring, but he's up with all the latest sports science techniques and his teams are always super fit and give 100% for him.

His teams have an identity that reflects him, far far superior to Bruce in every way. The only thing Bruce's "4 promotions" prove is; is that he is not good enough for the premier league

If there is no other obvious candidate right now, then give him the gig.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well going from Wikipedia which as we know is always 100% accurate ? he took them over when they were 9 points adrift at the foot of league 1, saved them, took them to their first ever Wembley appearance,  and left them in 4th place having had a bit of a tilt at promotion the year before. 

Not exactly disastrous. 

Never said disastrous and Rotherham did come in for him before joining us.When we played Walsall in the cup just after he joined us he got dogs abuse from Walsall fans after they beat us at our place?

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

People can say what they like about Allerdyce, but give him a 2 year contract and he'd take us up as champions and keep us up in the premier league in his first year (never been relegated in his career).

Yes his style of football is a bit boring, but he's up with all the latest sports science techniques and his teams are always super fit and give 100% for him.

His teams have an identity that reflects him, far far superior to Bruce in every way. The only thing Bruce's "4 promotions" prove is; is that he is not good enough for the premier league

Sorry none of my business but that’s a desperate idea,he’s all that’s wrong in football along with Redknapp and to a slightly lesser degree Bruce.Need to be a bit more imaginative and get a young successful hungry manager who’s managed for a few years along with an older DOF and stick with him.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s not Lampard’s fault that he hasn’t done anything yet, but he has certainly started pretty well, as has Gerrard at Rangers. To be honest I thought both appointments were ridiculous and they got the jobs because of who they were and not what they could do. Never the less they have both, so far, which is all we can judge them on, done well.

People keep saying this but Gerrard has made a pretty medicore start. They are already 8 points off the top after 7 games of the season and all he seems to do is moan at referees when they dont win

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

And this is the short termism that will get us no where....our next manager needs to be young and progressive....not a quick fix papering over the cracks!

Young and progressive and take us from lower middle table of the championship - to the fringes of European football - playing delightful football and plundering the u23s for a pool of untapped talent.....and when said bloke retires he seamlessly hands over to reigns to his apprentice who carries on this renassonance.........

Sorry mate football is about the here and now. we need a good manager right now - who starts winning matches pretty quickly....this notion of a long term manager is, with one or two exceptions a fallacy....the average lifespan of a manager is probably under 2 years.....looking at winning the four or five games and the future will take care of itself

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It would be same again with club littered with overpaid prima donnas on big wages and contracts while playing toxic boring football. I think its no coincidence Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland and West Ham all were relegated or left in an awful state after his exit and some have never recovered

Sure even Palace made worst start in Premier League history last season just after he left