New Manager Speculation

maqroll

35 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Never said disastrous and Rotherham did come in for him before joining us.When we played Walsall in the cup just after he joined us he got dogs abuse from Walsall fans after they beat us at our place?

Ah I see the problem here. 

You should be aware that all Walsall fans are inbred morons. 

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

Young and progressive and take us from lower middle table of the championship - to the fringes of European football - playing delightful football and plundering the u23s for a pool of untapped talent.....and when said bloke retires he seamlessly hands over to reigns to his apprentice who carries on this renassonance.........

Sorry mate football is about the here and now. we need a good manager right now - who starts winning matches pretty quickly....this notion of a long term manager is, with one or two exceptions a fallacy....the average lifespan of a manager is probably under 2 years.....looking at winning the four or five games and the future will take care of itself

Oh really......Sean Dyche....Eddie Howe.....Wagner. A fallacy you say?? Ok

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We had many posting on our forum.He also went 15 games without a win at Walsall with fans calling for his head.Why not go on their site and ask them.I would think you must know plenty of Walsall fans ask them yourself.We always buy or get potential in as we can’t afford the finished article then we sell them on like we did with Hogan.?

Knicking Grigg set them back about a year as he scored about 20 in 12/13, scored about 5 goals for Brentford the following season.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It would be same again with club littered with overpaid prima donnas on big wages and contracts while playing toxic boring football. I think its no coincidence Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland and West Ham all were relegated or left in an awful state after his exit and some have never recovered

Sure even Palace made worst start in Premier League history last season just after he left

Think that says more about the clubs wanting to go in a different direction thinking the grass is greener.. like you said, all that happens after he gets wrongfully dismissed. And its funny how all their fortunes upturned whilst he was there, but his doubters never mention that part.

Look, I agree with you to a certain extent - the football is an eye sore, and he has a glass ceiling of upper mid table in the premier league (could argue never been at a real big club though) but I think the managers he gets bracketed with like Moyes, Pardew, Pulis - I think he's the best for results out of the lot of them. It's funny when people say they want a manager with experience, consistently gets the best out of the team, not afraid of managing big profile players etc - they don't even realise but Allerdyce is secretly ticking all the boxes. 

Edited by Junxs
added some more
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Dean Smith, with a good caochign set up around him and a god DOF and scouting network in place would be a dramatic improvement on what we have at the moment.

A 20th century set up, poor recruitment (pay over the odds for already recognised talent), poor conversion from an academy that has produced a lot of players recently that do alright at our current level and above, a structure with an old school type manager that every time we need to change brings root and branch change through the football side of the club, poor coaching....

I really don't see why people woudl be touting Pulis and Allardyce, it means more of the same, no change in the structure of the the club, staying rooted in the past. We need more than just a managerial appointment, we've just got shot of all the senior scouting/recruitment network, we need a DOF sharpish, how woudl hiring Allardyce or Pulis help? Someone like Smith is used to working in a modern set up, get him in and let him hire his coaches woudl be a smoother way to then hire the rest before Jan and let Bruce out of his misery. 

Allardyce and a succession of uninspiring 1-0 victories to promotion - would probably be the biggest shot in the arm for this club in more than 10 years - certainly more than a load faceless scouts, fitness gurus, nutritionists,  head coach, head' analyst coach,  youth consulatation officer, business continuity manager, etc ....................Football ball is a simple game - based mostly on the here and now....all this changing the ethos and 'giving the team an identity that reflect its manger' FFS !!! - Its just a load of ass covering words 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

If Smith is the only option then I would rather keep Bruce and I have never wanted Bruce at the club!

This next appointment is massive. We cannot afford to take a risk just because he is simply not Bruce. We need someone who has worked at a big club and dealt with high profile players. I am not sure who that is, although I would love Rodgers, but there must be loads of better options. Why take the risk? 

Bruce must stay until a suitable replacement has been identified.

We need a great big Earthquake of a manager - not 'hmmmmm he might be okay' 

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get the point you are making, but has Bielsa really made that much of an impact? Let’s not forget that Leeds started last season well. Only at the end of the season can it be judged that he has made an impact 

While its to early to declare him a resounding success it is quite incredible what he has done.

People focus on the start we had last year as a way to promote caution, which is fair. 

But what doesnt happen enough is using our form in the later months as a way to praise Bielsa.

2018 pre Bielsa.

Played 21-won 4-lost 11-drew 6 .scored 22 conceded 36. 18points.

We were bottom 3 of the form table for the entirety of 2018.

BPF, Cooper, Jansson,Berardi, Ayling, Douglas, Phillips, Forshaw, Baker, Klich, Alioski, Hernandez, Roofe, Roberts, Harrison, Saiz, Shackleton, Dallas, Edmondson and Bamford. 

Only those in bold have been regular starters, every one except Harrison and Douglas have been on our books for the entire calendar year at least, and only Klich and Roberts who were loaned out or injured played no part in our form 2018 pre Bielsa.

Shackleton and Edmondson are youth players, Bamford hasnt had a league start and is now out probably till 2019. 

Tyler Roberts signed in January but was injured and has only come in because of an injury to Roofe. 

Harrison is a loan from Manchester City but only starting because of Hernandez being injured. 

So Barry Douglas and Mateusz Klich are the only real changes if all fit from last season.

With mainly the same squad as last season Bielsa has taken us from bottom 3 of the form table to top 2.

He has taken an attack that scored 22 in 21 games and scored 20 in 10.

He has taken a defence that conceded 36 in 21 and conceded 8 in 10.

He has taken a group of players who looked like strangers and made them into an organised energetic fit as a butchers dog passing machine.

This organisation and fitness is evident when you consider Bielsa isnt a huge fan of defending. But his high press and overload style means teams struggle to create chances against us. With Brentford we concede the fewest goal scoring chances per game. 

We have the best pass block percentage in the league. We retain possession better then anyone  but as evidence by us having the highest shot ratio in the league its not passing for passings sake, its incisive and attacking. 

Whether we have the squad to cope for a full season i dont know.

But what i would be willing to bet money on is if Bielsa had the funds Bruce and others have had in this league or the access to the talent Nuno had, then Bielsa would walk the league. 

He is an incredible coach, to do what he has done with largely the same players in such a short space of time is phenomenal.

And it makes someone like Steve Bruce look frankly ridiculous when he complains about needing time and whatever.

As i said, you give Bielsa the funds Bruce, Nuno etc had then the league would be a foregone conclusion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

He has taken a group of players who looked like strangers and made them into an organised energetic fit as a butchers dog passing machine.

This, right there is exactly what we are missing under Bruce. 

Good summary for the rest of it and shows what a good manager can bring, over and above a bang average excuse peddler like Bruce.

Edited by TheStagMan

15 hours ago, hippo said:

Allardyce and a succession of uninspiring 1-0 victories to promotion - would probably be the biggest shot in the arm for this club in more than 10 years - certainly more than a load faceless scouts, fitness gurus, nutritionists,  head coach, head' analyst coach,  youth consulatation officer, business continuity manager, etc ....................Football ball is a simple game - based mostly on the here and now....all this changing the ethos and 'giving the team an identity that reflect its manger' FFS !!! - Its just a load of ass covering words 

That's an awesome crystal ball there, so getting Allardyce would mean a succession of uninspiring 1-0s that take us up would it? I don't think anyone would moan if promotion was the end result. 

Interesting saying Allardyce would be better than having scouts, fitness coaches, nutritionists a head coach, training analysts etc. Getting all of that big list of appointments right would give us more stability than any old school manager could ever give us. We need the appointments above the head coach first IMO, but however they come is ok, look at every club bar none that is enjoying some success across europe, or that has done in the past 20 years and their "faceless" list will be well stocked with talent. Simple game or not.

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

While its to early to declare him a resounding success it is quite incredible what he has done.

People focus on the start we had last year as a way to promote caution, which is fair. 

But what doesnt happen enough is using our form in the later months as a way to praise Bielsa.

2018 pre Bielsa.

Played 21-won 4-lost 11-drew 6 .scored 22 conceded 36. 18points.

We were bottom 3 of the form table for the entirety of 2018.

BPF, Cooper, Jansson,Berardi, Ayling, Douglas, Phillips, Forshaw, Baker, Klich, Alioski, Hernandez, Roofe, Roberts, Harrison, Saiz, Shackleton, Dallas, Edmondson and Bamford. 

Only those in bold have been regular starters, every one except Harrison and Douglas have been on our books for the entire calendar year at least, and only Klich and Roberts who were loaned out or injured played no part in our form 2018 pre Bielsa.

Shackleton and Edmondson are youth players, Bamford hasnt had a league start and is now out probably till 2019. 

Tyler Roberts signed in January but was injured and has only come in because of an injury to Roofe. 

Harrison is a loan from Manchester City but only starting because of Hernandez being injured. 

So Barry Douglas and Mateusz Klich are the only real changes if all fit from last season.

With mainly the same squad as last season Bielsa has taken us from bottom 3 of the form table to top 2.

He has taken an attack that scored 22 in 21 games and scored 20 in 10.

He has taken a defence that conceded 36 in 21 and conceded 8 in 10.

This organisation and fitness is evident when you consider Bielsa isnt a huge fan of defending. But his high press and overload style means teams struggle to create chances against us. With Brentford we concede the fewest goal scoring chances per game. 

We have the best pass block percentage in the league. We retain possession better then anyone  but as evidence by us having the highest shot ratio in the league its not passing for passings sake, its incisive and attacking. 

Whether we have the squad to cope for a full season i dont know.

But what i would be willing to bet money on is if Bielsa had the funds Bruce and others have had in this league or the access to the talent Nuno had, then Bielsa would walk the league. 

He is an incredible coach, to do what he has done with largely the same players in such a short space of time is phenomenal.

And it makes someone like Steve Bruce look frankly ridiculous when he complains about needing time and whatever.

As i said, you give Bielsa the funds Bruce, Nuno etc had then the league would be a foregone conclusion.

Could be wrong but haven't you also only won 2 out of the last 7 or something like that (still better than us I know but that's not the point) and have suffered an abnormal amount of non-matchday injuries to key players, likely a result of the high intensity training all week?

I think the unanimous verdict on Bielsa is yes, he'll get you playing good football but that you'd burn out quickly in this division, right now I'd say those predictions were bob on.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, hippo said:

Daft thing is that Allardyce has probably had much of this set up in place well before it became the norm. He is far more forward thinking & analytical than people give him credit for but it is hard to get some of this over when you are continually being brought in to rescue shit teams from going down when points are all that matter.

Interesting article on him from ex players, couple of years old https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/23/playing-it-for-sam-allardyce-what-is-he-really-like-as-a-manager/

Playing it for Sam Allardyce: What is he really like as a manager?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Oh really......Sean Dyche....Eddie Howe.....Wagner. A fallacy you say?? Ok

He did say with one or two exceptions.

And I agree with him. When it works it's great.

But for every Eddie Howe there are 10 managers who fail and never heard from again.

25 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Daft thing is that Allardyce has probably had much of this set up in place well before it became the norm. He is far more forward thinking & analytical than people give him credit for but it is hard to get some of this over when you are continually being brought in to rescue shit teams from going down when points are all that matter.

Interesting article on him from ex players, couple of years old https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/23/playing-it-for-sam-allardyce-what-is-he-really-like-as-a-manager/

Playing it for Sam Allardyce: What is he really like as a manager?

Very interesting, LD. I wonder why then, the majority of his teams play 'functional' football as opposed to this expansive creative type that he seeks? It may be, as you say, he often is in a fire fighting situation or it maybe that he is unable to put his philosophies into practice due to lack of coaching ability? Not a fan of his but an interesting insight nonetheless.....