New Manager Speculation

maqroll

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Could be wrong but haven't you also only won 2 out of the last 7 or something like that (still better than us I know but that's not the point) and have suffered an abnormal amount of non-matchday injuries to key players, likely a result of the high intensity training all week?

I think the unanimous verdict on Bielsa is yes, he'll get you playing good football but that you'd burn out quickly in this division, right now I'd say those predictions were bob on.

We have yes, which isnt ideal, but its only 1 defeat in 7 to. 

Vs Swansea we lost our captain in the warm up and had no recognised cb in the squad because of that. 

By the time we played Boro we had lost our best attacking player Pablo Hernandez and by the time we played Millwall next we had lost Kemar Roofe to and Gaetano Berardi who had been very good at cb. 

Hernandez and Roofe took knocks in games i think and were taken off, Berardi i think was a non game injury.

And we lost Bamford to in an u23 game.

Less then ideal and very well may be partially down to the intensity of Bielsa and his ways  

There's no doubt we miss those 4 players, Millwall, Birmingham and definitely vs Wednesday had they been available we would have won imo, we battered Birmingham and Wednesday especially 2nd half, just wernt clinical. 

Cant really blame Bielsa for that , be like you losing Grealish, Chester, Kodjia and Abraham.

Not so sure burnout is fair, missing key players definitely is, not having replacements of similar quality especially in attacking areas.

Its not like we are playing poorly, we are the better side still overall, Wednesday fans are full of praise for our 2nd half performance  (which clearly wouldn't be easy for them to say). 

Goes back to squad strength imo.

If Wolves lost Jota last season they had Costa. 

If you lose Adomah for example you have Bolasie. 

We lost our 2 main forwards and only have a 19 year old.

Our main creative player we have a talented but unproven 21 year old.

I think depth is our main issue.

44 minutes ago, Cjay said:

We have yes, which isnt ideal, but its only 1 defeat in 7 to. 

Vs Swansea we lost our captain in the warm up and had no recognised cb in the squad because of that. 

By the time we played Boro we had lost our best attacking player Pablo Hernandez and by the time we played Millwall next we had lost Kemar Roofe to and Gaetano Berardi who had been very good at cb. 

Hernandez and Roofe took knocks in games i think and were taken off, Berardi i think was a non game injury.

And we lost Bamford to in an u23 game.

Less then ideal and very well may be partially down to the intensity of Bielsa and his ways  

There's no doubt we miss those 4 players, Millwall, Birmingham and definitely vs Wednesday had they been available we would have won imo, we battered Birmingham and Wednesday especially 2nd half, just wernt clinical. 

Cant really blame Bielsa for that , be like you losing Grealish, Chester, Kodjia and Abraham.

Not so sure burnout is fair, missing key players definitely is, not having replacements of similar quality especially in attacking areas.

Its not like we are playing poorly, we are the better side still overall, Wednesday fans are full of praise for our 2nd half performance  (which clearly wouldn't be easy for them to say). 

Goes back to squad strength imo.

If Wolves lost Jota last season they had Costa. 

If you lose Adomah for example you have Bolasie. 

We lost our 2 main forwards and only have a 19 year old.

Our main creative player we have a talented but unproven 21 year old.

I think depth is our main issue.

I think the main issue is that you have a Manager who believes every training session should be played at the same level of intensity as a matchday.

Which, on top of a 46 game season is pretty crazy whichever way you cut it.

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It's worked pretty well for him in the past tbf. We have a manager who likes to pop off to Portugal between meals. 

Has Bielsa ever worked a 46 game season? Hie Bilbao team were absolute shattered by March that season and players dead on feet by time they got to last few games. They won 3 of last 11 games and trashed in 2 finals and finished 10th when challenging top 4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Daft thing is that Allardyce has probably had much of this set up in place well before it became the norm. He is far more forward thinking & analytical than people give him credit for but it is hard to get some of this over when you are continually being brought in to rescue shit teams from going down when points are all that matter.

Interesting article on him from ex players, couple of years old https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/23/playing-it-for-sam-allardyce-what-is-he-really-like-as-a-manager/

Playing it for Sam Allardyce: What is he really like as a manager?

His whole game is based on percentages and stats, which parts of the pitche percentage wise give better cross completion? Lump it there repeatedly and have the statiscally right number of players in the box for best chance of converting the cross... He's always been big on stats in training too. 

By old school manager I was referring more to the structure we have as a club, less than Allardyce or a specific manager. I think Allardyce likes to have the traditional UK manager role though....

50 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the main issue is that you have a Manager who believes every training session should be played at the same level of intensity as a matchday.

Which, on top of a 46 game season is pretty crazy whichever way you cut it.

Perhaps, but its got us to a level of fitness seemingly far above anyone else so far.

May take its toll as you say, but strengthen in January and that could help in that regard. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has Bielsa ever worked a 46 game season? Hie Bilbao team were absolute shattered by March that season and players dead on feet by time they got to last few games. They won 3 of last 11 games and trashed in 2 finals and finished 10th when challenging top 4

They were beaten by Pep and Diego Simeone and there multi million pound squads, nothing to be ashamed of there imo. 

Considering he hardly had any money and only had a talent pool of about half the size of the West Midlands to find players from, i think his job at Bilbao was pretty brilliant. 

On McGinn, Nyland and El Ghazi Villa have spent £2mil more in one summer then Bielsa spent during his 2 summers at Bilbao. 

Whether we have the depth to do a 46 game season i dont know though. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cjay said:

They were beaten by Pep and Diego Simeone and there multi million pound squads, nothing to be ashamed of there imo. 

Considering he hardly had any money and only had a talent pool of about half the size of the West Midlands to find players from, i think his job at Bilbao was pretty brilliant. 

On McGinn, Nyland and El Ghazi Villa have spent £2mil more in one summer then Bielsa spent during his 2 summers at Bilbao. 

Eh I am talking about the players being bolloxed at end of season. doesnt matter who the opposition was and it was before Simeone got a grip on the Atletico team. He also lost to Levante and Zaragoza and Osasuna. He finished 10th and 12th in 2 seasons its a pretty average job all things considered

Villa also didnt spent 12 million on Nyland, El Ghazi and McGinn ;)

I've got nothing against Big Sam. I actually suspect he'd be hald decent for us, but I hope we can move on from these hoofball managers. MON, Big Sam, Bruce they are all the same shite. Some are just a bit more polished than others. 

Get in a DoF and start hireing managers who can implement pass and move. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've got nothing against Big Sam. I actually suspect he'd be hald decent for us, but I hope we can move on from these hoofball managers. MON, Big Sam, Bruce they are all the same shite. Some are just a bit more polished than others. 

Get in a DoF and start hireing managers who can implement pass and move. 

I do. Blokes a word removed!

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Bielsa is a legendary manager.  Any club would be delighted to have him. The fact you managed to get him in the Championship is fantastic. You enjoy it mate. I bloody well would. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh I am talking about the players being bolloxed at end of season. doesnt matter who the opposition was and it was before Simeone got a grip on the Atletico team. He also lost to Levante and Zaragoza and Osasuna. He finished 10th and 12th in 2 seasons its a pretty average job all things considered

Villa also didnt spent 12 million on Nyland, El Ghazi and McGinn ;)

No but they spent about £9mil, i got my maths wrong.

Bielsa spent about  £8.8mil on Ander Herrera and Aritz Aduriz, thats it.

Madrid were the current Europa League and Super Cup winners from the season before and had spent about 10 times as much as Bilbao that summer. 

Lost Javi Martinez in his second summer (they only paid money for Aduriz that summer) 

He had his hands tied behind his back financially, with the talent pool he was allowed, limited the depth of the squad to, not sure what you think he should have achieved. 

Lack of depth is a problem, hardly his fault he has never been at a club that allowed him the funds or room to build a capable squad.

17 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Bielsa is a legendary manager.  Any club would be delighted to have him. The fact you managed to get him in the Championship is fantastic. You enjoy it mate. I bloody well would. 

Thanks?

I think he is brilliant, critics dismiss him for his lack of trophies.

That hasnt stopped Poch, Zidane, Pep, Simeone all seeking him out for advice.

Didnt stop Barcelona considering him in 2012 and then appointing one of his many disciples Tata Martino. 

Didnt stop Real Madrid considering him either or Inter Milan.

Widely accepted Bielsa would have had one of the top jobs if he would have been more flexible, but he refuses, he is a man of principle, i respect that.

• Like 3

Legandary is a bit much. Like Zemen his teams play great football but little end product. Its entertaining but thats it

He had one of greatest international squads in history and got knocked out 1st round in World Cup as he refused to try and play Batistuta and Crespo together

• Like 2