Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

As limited as Hugill is , he would probably be more at home in this side and provide more balance than any striker we have bought the past 2 years.

When we were at our best last season was when Davis was on form, and everyone could play off him and had time to support him as he won and held the ball. That's what we need now, albeit with someone more consistent.

The idea that we are going for Ryan Woods makes little sense, we don't pass the ball well, we don't dictate the play and work teams across the pitch, we don't pass and probe and wait for an opening. Ryan Woods would be lost in this team, just as much as Hogan is.

What we do is get the ball back to front very quickly and are a threat from set pieces. Hugill is that player, though he won't be scoring 20 goals a season.

According to the Brentford fans this is exactly what Woods does, so surely it makes perfect sense. We've been screaming out for that kind of player for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

That's all the convincing I need. Welcome home Christian. 

I know this won't happen but just reading that got me excited. Imagine him in this league. He would literally bully defences.

Bring him home!!

Liverpool?

21 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

I don't remember him having a bad game. Am I misremembering something? 

I feel their goal came from Hutton or Adomah between them not following the run from midfield. 

To put it all another way, Terry was part of one of the best defences in the league last year. That's a plus. 

Maybe the fourth best defence.

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Good, not long for me to brace myself for bids then.   My arms ache. 

Premier League clubs will have another week to prepare bids with their transfer war chests though, so we've got a bit of bracing left yet.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Buy their best players and then maybe we can finally beat Brentford.

Its not only Brentford, when you think that weve been a spending force and took Fulham’s best player, to turn out to be a curse and in the end we fail to go up because of Fulham themselves. Whats more funnier is that we somehow failed to go up because of SHA too (indirectly).

But tbh I dont get it with our managers, the seem to like buying players on certain areas which we have a big number, and get nobody in areas which we lack players.

For example we have: Elmo, De light, Hutton and Bree all to play as rb. On the left side we are having only one who isnt up for it were we play a rb instead of him.

In our first season we got McCromack, Kodjia and Hogan al by more than 30m.

We need to locate areas which we lack players in (definitly CB, LB,Winger) as for striker if it was an upgrade of what we had, with a reasonable prices then im with it. If its a Hogan type then we have enough.

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

According to the Brentford fans this is exactly what Woods does, so surely it makes perfect sense. We've been screaming out for that kind of player for years. 

We've had a few of them, Lansbury did it at Forest. We don't play football and we don't seem to coach players on how to pass or move. I would be pleased with the signing, but if people think he will do what he did at Brentford I think they will be disappointed.

• Like 2

Hutton and DeLaet can play LB but I'd rather RDL start at right back, Hutton left back, get an LB in as cover and let Taylor go. Then another CB or 2. Maybe Tuanzebe on loan again and promote Sulieman.

And despite our numbers, CM is a big weakness. Very little quality in terms of box to box players. They're all either attacking or defensive. So Woods makes sense.

Edited by Mazrim

Woods has been player of the year for them for the past 2 years. We have to be paying upwards of 10 mill?

With FFP and the Woodburn rumour it doesn't bode well for us keeping Jack imo. Sounds like we are getting our replacements together ready for a deadline day swoop.

So am I right in thinking that Woods is mainly a deep lying playmaker type?

How will he slot into our midfield? 

Obviously hard for anyone to know since we don't know what formation we'll play but let's assume it will be either 2 or 3 DCM's/CM's/ACM working together in CM.

A midfield of Woods, Hourihane and Grealish sounds exciting although a bit weak and small. Not sure Bruce would favor this. In pre season Grealish has had to drop deep and collect the ball from defense, a role Woods would take over . As for Hourihane that's 11 goals from midfield last season.

If he's deep sitting the players next to him would have to be mobile or we'll become too stretched, not sure Jedi or Whelan has the legs for that role...

So a 5-3-2 with Jedi as CB to win some headers, De Laet & Hutton on the flanks with Woods and Hourihane playing behind Grealish in CM and whatever strikers we are limping to the barn with?

Not seen Woods enough to have any idea.

I've liked the look of Woods every time i've seen him play, but... it's kinda the last type of signing we need. If we have limited money to spend, it would be better going on a pacy winger or a centre back.

Do we really need another CM with Thor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelan, Doyle Hayes.

It's the one area of the pitch we're pretty okay in. 

• Like 1

Following Villa news on Twitter is enough to drive you insane, so much crap being thrown around it's hard to know what to believe. All I know is we've most likely signed a goalkeeper on loan (who the club haven't been bothered to announce yet for some reason) and that's it. 

Don't really believe the Woods talk myself and I just had an heart attack seeing Charlie Adam trending, no thank you!

Moeira, DeLaet, Chester, Tuanzebe, Hutton, Woods, Grealish, Woodburn, Green, Snodgrass, Abraham.

Steer, Bree, Jedinak, Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare, Kodjia, Hepburn-Murphy.

Something like that. Too attacking for Bruce but I say go for it.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've liked the look of Woods every time i've seen him play, but... it's kinda the last type of signing we need. If we have limited money to spend, it would be better going on a pacy winger or a centre back.

Do we really need another CM with Thor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Jedinak, Whelan, Doyle Hayes.

It's the one area of the pitch we're pretty okay in. 

Would not want to see Woods or anyone else block Doyle-Hayes, who I think will be our next `big thing'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Moeira, DeLaet, Chester, Tuanzebe, Hutton, Woods, Grealish, Woodburn, Green, Snodgrass, Abraham.

Steer, Bree, Jedinak, Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare, Kodjia, Hepburn-Murphy.

Something like that. Too attacking for Bruce but I say go for it.

I thought he was quite poor after a bright start, so preferably not.

Â