Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So he didn't fancy Newcastle then? Heard they were interested.

Would have gotten a lot more game time there I reckon.

Probably didn't want to play Bruceball at right back.  

1 minute ago, Jono62 said:

It certainly looks like Smith is trying to avoid burnout for the team. Can definitely see a lot more rotation in defence this season. 

That has to be the goal, but I still think Mings and Konsa will start every game they are fit.

He was on the United bench 31 times last season in the league, so last season at least it seems his injury problems weren't too bad, in fact I think it was only the last four games that he missed through injury.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Say he ends up playing 15-20 games, showing his quality. Returns to Utd to offer him new contract and they try to sell him for 20-25 million or have him for their squad. 

He signed a new contract there today alongside his loan to us.

• Thanks 1

No option to buy is annoying but it's seldom in the parent clubs interest to include one unless they actively want to sell the player. Especially one with high potential.

OGS rates him highly.

£5m loan fee touted but it's sensible business for our current aspirations and injury proneness aside, is a risk free signing.

Purslow said 'no more development of other clubs talents' which is nice sentiment but sometimes stubborn and impractical when there is a gap that needs filling.

• Like 1

He's definitely come as back up but if anything happens to Konsa or Mings I'd be more than happy with Tuanzebe coming in. 

I'm quite confident that we'll just end up signing him permanently next summer. This is his 3rd spell with us now right? He's clearly well liked at the club and he's never going to play at United. I thought he had all the ability to go right to the top after the Championship spell together, unfortunately for him injuries had another idea. 

Welcome back Axel, can't wait to hear his chant again 🕺

5 minutes ago, useless said:

He was on the United bench 31 times last season in the league, so last season at least it seems his injury problems weren't too bad, in fact I think it was only the last four games that he missed through injury.

Easier to stay fit when you're never playing!

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

He signed a new contract there today alongside his loan to us.

Yes, just seen that he signed an extension to 2023 as he would have been out of contract. They are protecting their asset.

This is what annoys me. I really hope there is a prearranged fee in our loan if we choose to execute. No doubt we're paying a loan fee too. I remember Purslow talking about not wanting to develop talent for other teams. They will have our pants down if not and he makes an impression. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Well that is good to know. Welcome calm back Axel.

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Yes, just seen that he signed an extension to 2023 as he would have been out of contract. They are protecting their asset.

This is what annoys me. I really hope there is a prearranged fee in our loan if we choose to execute. No doubt we're paying a loan fee too. I remember Purslow talking about not wanting to develop talent for other teams. They will have our pants down if not and he makes an impression. 

Agreed.

I am not pleased with this reading this from the Utd end.

Link

Axel will return to the United set-up at the end of the 2021/22 season, at which point he'll then hope to stake a claim for a first-team starting spot at Old Trafford.

38 minutes ago, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

All this talk of the project, we're going places etc, complaining about Jack leaving, then we're getting loans from Man City's poorer rival.

Disappointing signing, doesn't strengthen us at all and only here for a season

This signing isn't about strengthening our first team. We get a cheap backup for a year and we can buy a new centre half when we don't have quite so many pressing needs as now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

This signing isn't about strengthening our first team. We get a cheap backup for a year and we can buy a new centre half when we don't have quite so many pressing needs as now. 

Exactly that. We needed to replace Engles, not Mings and Konsa. 

• Like 2

Welcome back Axel.

He gives us a really good back up option, he's a player the squad know and he's a very decent centre half.

I'm not sure how much he'll play and he might find pushing into the first team too much of a challenge, but that's also true at his parent club and I guess he feels he can make an impact here.

In many ways it's a better move for us than for him - but it's nice to have him back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Exactly that. We needed to replace Engles, not Mings and Konsa. 

Another thing that I think is important is that he's played with both Hause and Mings. The players who he will play next to if Konsa gets injured. Means we don't have to worry as mcuh about them building up chemistry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â