The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Marginal calls going with the onfield call in cricket are only for simulated hypotheticals like lbw where Hawkeye is predicting the path the ball would've taken.

Tangible events that we have actual footage of like fouls in football require a different system imo.

But what constitutes a foul? It’s a contact sport so you cannot simply say that contact = foul, every situation is different and open to interpretation for each individual (barring the stone cold obvious ones).

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't even know what constitutes a foul anymore and don't think the refs do either.  Theres so many grey areas and all these different camera angles only confuse it even more. 

I agree. Before it was basically down to the ref. Now it’s a committee thing.

47 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't even know what constitutes a foul anymore and don't think the refs do either.  Theres so many grey areas and all these different camera angles only confuse it even more. 

Yep, and to be honest you know we all sit here and slate referees for getting stuff wrong when in fact that anger should be aimed at the cheating arseholes playing the game.

If diving and simulation hadn’t become an accepted part of the game it would be far simpler to officiate.

• Like 1

These cm offside calls are so against any common sense of why the rule exist.

Can get penalties out of the blue for complete bullshit but a toenail is maybe offside (or an arm apparently) and goals are chalked off. Who actually wants the game in the state it is currently?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Just get rid of the stupid measurement lines. 90% of VAR complaints stem from those stupid lines and how they're used. If the ref can't pick it definitively on a freezeframe of the replay, it's not offside.

Or, the Premier League should have cameras across the pitch so that the ref always has the best sideview of the incident. None of this angled bullshit.

No lines, just see if the man is clearly offside. If in doubt, go by the original refs call.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

thats where the main inconsistency come sin, one refs foul is another refs play on

as shit as the stupid lines are for offsides they're shit everyone, every team is being done by them

that penalty vs man utd? some refs give that some dont, the game vs wolves where mike dean was throwing yellow cards around like confetti, we then get games vs chelsea and utd where they have 20+ fouls before the cards come out

they keep saying that refs should come out after games and say what they've seen and what they've done in order to explain their thought processes, i honestly get the feeling that refs dont even have to do that to their bosses or themselves, i genuinely believe that refs dont spend enough time together, training together, reviewing each others performances together, even if it was Monday morning 4 hour zoom session 2 identical fouls "mike dean why did you give that as a yellow card? martin atkinson why wasnt it a yellow card? john moss whats your thoughts on both?" that kind of thing, its not hard to do and it would at least start to bring them all to the same page

• Like 1

This doesn't prove anything about anything but it's part of why I think it's not totally unreasonable that a ref or official in the PL also could be bought or pressured into effecting happenings and results.

All this stems from a gambling addiction apparently.

Swedish top referee sentenced to 4.5 years in prison

The Swedish top referee cheated millions of kr from companies and private individuals.

He is now sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for gross fraud.

The referee has previously been suspended from refereeing matches.

The ref has for several years belonged to the elite as a ref. As a referee, he has not only refereed in the Allsvenskan but also in the Champions League, Europa League and international matches.

But in recent years, the man has also had a parallel life where, according to the indictment, he persuaded the small business owners to transfer millions of dollars to him under the pretense that he would help them with their companies' telephone subscriptions.

Another five people were charged in the complicity as accomplices in the gross frauds that deceived the victims of crime of SEK 6.8 million.

The district court sentenced the top judge on Friday and sentenced him to a long sentence, 4.5 years in prison for gross fraud and deception.

He will also personally pay just over SEK 4.5 million in damages to six plaintiffs.

Of the other five assistants to the judge, three of the accused are convicted. The court considers that it is the ref who has been the driving force in the gross fraud and two of the co-defendants are sentenced to much lighter sentences with suspended sentences and 100 daily fines.

A third is sentenced to community service and two of the accused are released from suspicion completely.

Sportbladet has previously revealed several troublesome circumstances surrounding the referee - how SvFF received information about the man's problems early in 2020 but still let him continue to judge and that he is now also suspected of having played and bet money on matches he himself has been to and judged, among other in the Allsvenskan.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/6zovOe/svenske-toppdomaren-domd-till-fangelse-i-45-ar

Edited by sne

27 minutes ago, sne said:

This doesn't prove anything about anything but it's part of why I think it's not totally unreasonable that a ref or official in the PL also could be bought or pressured into effecting happenings and results.

All this stems from a gambling addiction apparently.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/6zovOe/svenske-toppdomaren-domd-till-fangelse-i-45-ar

no name but its obviously Martin Hansson ;)  finally FIFA caught up to him over the Henry handball

• Haha 2

Thought the use of VAR last night in the Arsenal Newcastle game was spot on, the Arsenal player’s red card reduced to a yellow. Reasonably promptly too. The same player then goes onto score the opening goal. 

Don’t get me wrong, even with the little football I’ve seen recently, VAR offside decisions are bullshit and it’s ruining the game. But I just thought that last night was a decent example of it working correctly so credit where it’s due.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Thought the use of VAR last night in the Arsenal Newcastle game was spot on, the Arsenal player’s red card reduced to a yellow. Reasonably promptly too. The same player then goes onto score the opening goal. 

Don’t get me wrong, even with the little football I’ve seen recently, VAR offside decisions are bullshit and it’s ruining the game. But I just thought that last night was a decent example of it working correctly so credit where it’s due.

I agree although again, it comes back to the cheating from longstaff as being the root cause problem.

He went down like his leg had been broken when it was barely touched, more should be done about this retrospectively, for referees to have a chance at getting decisions right there needs to be more integrity in the game.

That Longstaff would have been happy to devastate a young player with a red card is the true scourge of the game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I agree although again, it comes back to the cheating from longstaff as being the root cause problem.

He went down like his leg had been broken when it was barely touched, more should be done about this retrospectively, for referees to have a chance at getting decisions right there needs to be more integrity in the game.

That Longstaff would have been happy to devastate a young player with a red card is the true scourge of the game.

Yeah the scream/yelp he made when he went down certainly made it sound serious and could have played a part in the referee’s initial decision making.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah the scream/yelp he made when he went down certainly made it sound serious and could have played a part in the referee’s initial decision making.

It 100% did, it looked and sounded like a red card at first viewing, I can see why the ref gave it but if longstaff didn’t go down as if he’d just taken a full set of studs in the shin then it would never have been an issue.

I hate it, it’s killed the game in some respects, and yes I am aware that Grealish is at the forefront of going down easily.

Â