The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s genuinely refreshing watching games without VAR. 

Agree. Louie’s goal just wouldn’t be the same with VAR in my opinion. The moment of celebration etc is something I’ve missed. With VAR it’s a case of goal and wait to see if it’s overturned because his nose is offside.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Agree. Louie’s goal just wouldn’t be the same with VAR in my opinion. The moment of celebration etc is something I’ve missed. With VAR it’s a case of goal and wait to see if it’s overturned because his nose is offside.

there was VAR friday night

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the FA Cup VAR is different than Premier League VAR so no surprise it works better

One of the many things that is ludicrous about VAR. Not only different implementations in different countries, but even within different domestic competitions in the same nation, it's absurd.

I've been enjoying the games with no VAR at all, though. Goal scored. Quick glance at the assistant, and you know where you stand. 

In order of preference, I'm torn between no VAR vs a better VAR implentation, both of which are better than the PL farce. 

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Was there? I thought FA cup games had no VAR? They did a good job of not getting involved compared to the PL games if so. 

It's in place only at PL grounds. So further to my previous post, not only different rules in different competitions, it depends on the bloody venue. If Spurs were drew at home, there would be VAR, but they were away, so there wasn't.

• Like 1

Regardless of today's individual decision, I think it's madness that careless or reckless challenges get rolled back just because VAR shows there was another incident earlier on. You can't perform some theatrics shaking your hands and roll back a player's injury. The cards should stand IMO. 

I'm so fed up of VAR bending over backwards to hand Manchester United points.

It's a shit implementation of it to begin with and it's ruined football in the PL, but how it's always got a manchester united tilted favouritism is just not okay.

14 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

How are the Premier League not furious about this? The product they're selling is being eroded and replaced by us watching the ref press on his ear piece 

Because the TV companies want to get to the adverts faster I imagine...

6 minutes ago, sne said:

The handball rule is as strange as always. Gibbs used both his hands to control the ball. Looked more like a brain fart than unintentional. No penalty of course 

Are you listening with English commentary? It's so infuriating how they refuse to go against decisions even if it means blatant denial.

According to the 2 commentators and ex-referee 'expert' it was fine because his hands were "in a natural position" and "not making him any bigger". My eyes disagree on both accounts.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you listening with English commentary? It's so infuriating how they refuse to go against decisions even if it means blatant denial.

According to the 2 commentators and ex-referee 'expert' it was fine because his hands were "in a natural position" and "not making him any bigger". My eyes disagree on both accounts.

No I have Swedish commentary but they kinda brushed it off as it was close to his body so didn't have time to react.

For me it's a blatant penalty and it would 100% been a freekick had it happened outside the box.

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think the VAR would have deemed Silva’s little barge into the GK a foul which led to him flapping it and chose the easy option not to consider the handball

They should have done that then. This just makes it a potential missed foul on the GK and a blatant missed handball and pen. Makes them look even more incompetent.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

They should have done that then. This just makes it a potential missed foul on the GK and a blatant missed handball and pen. Makes them look even more incompetent.

Think they like to just play on as they did after the ball was cleared; whereby the handball is effectively ruled out by the foul on the goalkeeper. If the ref gave the pen VAR would have ruled it out for foul so instead of stopping the game they just let it go no need to call it back for a WBA free kick

• Like 1

Â