The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

FA now phasing out ALL heading at grassroots level (ages 7-11).

It won’t be long before it’s all just virtualised through computers to make sure no one ever gets hurt, because heaven forbid, someone might get hurt voluntarily playing a contact sport.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

I think its utterly horrific that so many clubs are interested in Greenwood.

But since when do football clubs sign players based on morals and doing the right thing? There are countless examples of players being convicted of crimes and still being signed to clubs.

Petty crimes are somewhat forgivable and doesn’t always look bad on a club. However what Greenwood did (convicted or not) is really not good PR for anyone.  Well it shouldn’t be a good look, but seems like no one cares.

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Petty crimes are somewhat forgivable and doesn’t always look bad on a club. However what Greenwood did (convicted or not) is really not good PR for anyone.  Well it should be, but seems like no one cares.

Luke McCormick, convicted of two counts of death by dangerous driving in 2008, released in 2012 and re-signed by Plymouth in 2013. Was made club captain in 2014.

And there are countless more examples.

Unfortunately, as much as us football fans hold our clubs in the highest esteem and hope that they would hold the highest moral standards, it's clear that they don't, be it in the UK or abroad.

1 minute ago, Avfc96 said:

Luke McCormick, convicted of two counts of death by dangerous driving in 2008, released in 2012 and re-signed by Plymouth in 2013. Was made club captain in 2014.

Unfortunately, as much as us football fans hold our clubs in the highest esteem and hope that they would hold the highest moral standards, it's clear that they don't, be it in the UK or abroad.

Shite isn’t it. the levels of moral corruption in football is joke now. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 15:02, villa89 said:

Only a matter of time until Premier league teams have games abroad. Whether it's a 39th game or a lost home game remains to be seen. I assume it will be a lost home game. 

It'll be a lost home game, same happens in NFL for teams to lose a home game.

How the additional revenue is accounted for will be key here. Playing a game in the USA to grow the appeal of The Premier League, with minimal cost attributed to a team above what they would have made in the UK? fine. I wouldn't like it, but fine.

City, Chelsea and Newcastle selling games for £20m a piece to Saudi Arabia to skirt PSR is the likely outcome though. Much more dangerous.

A bit like when Barca organised a mid season friendly abroad to get the additional revenue when they were in trouble. 

2 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Purely playing devil's advocate and not defending Argyle or McCormick in any way, but the flip side of this would be that McCormick served the sentence that a court gave him and was then released. After that he was literally free to carry on with his life and Argyle were free to sign him.

There's a strong argument his sentence wasn't long enough, but that's the one he was given.

Whether he should have also been banned from football (due to being a role model etc) is an interesting argument but he wasn't. 

Blame the people who sentenced him.

1 hour ago, DaoDeMings said:

7-11 year olds not heading the ball to protect their developing brains doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world to me

And what happens when they get to 12 years old and suddenly have to start heading the ball having had no training on how to do so properly?

Or do you think it should be eradicated from the game entirely? 

Seems very sensible to me. Rugby has an approach of restricting certain manoeuvres until different age groups, starting the players with less dangerous play and introducing new concepts as they get older and have a better appreciation of risks and that their bodies can do, and it's worked well for ages without ruining the game.

I'd consider making it to go a bit further because if you're banning headers but still encouraging people to chuck it into the mixer from free kicks and corners, all you do is encourage high boots, but this has had a trial and presumably it went well

• Like 3

I do think people getting annoyed by this idea ought to think about what proportion of 7-11 year olds in organised football actually go on to make a career from the game, because I suspect it's extremely small. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 14:49, bobzy said:

That's fair - I should've been more specific.  Would the traditional, working class (maybe middle class 👀) fan remain as interested in football if it continues to head down the route it is, indeed, heading?

I can only speak for myself, but each of these money-related changes just has zero appeal to me.  It's turning me away from the game more and more, but maybe that isn't elsewhere at all.

At the end of the day, once you get in your seat it's not so different from 1985 for me. You're still cheering on the 11 villa players against some other shitty club you want to beat. 

It costs more for sure but even with the transformation of the game since then the pure essence is exactly the same for me. 

23 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And what happens when they get to 12 years old and suddenly have to start heading the ball having had no training on how to do so properly?

Or do you think it should be eradicated from the game entirely? 

It's the same in Rugby where players play no contact tag rugby then suddenly have do the real stuff. 

The main issue is do other nations follow suit? That's the problem of players not developing skills v other nations experience at international level. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The main issue is do other nations follow suit? 

Heading won't be allowed everywhere in under 12's football soon and it's no loss. Kids don't get concussions and they learn to play with the ball on the ground rather than in the air. Plenty of time to learn heading skills when they are teenagers. 

As for rugby that's a whole different ball game of CTE. If I had kids it's not a game I'd let them play, at any age. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I do think people getting annoyed by this idea ought to think about what proportion of 7-11 year olds in organised football actually go on to make a career from the game, because I suspect it's extremely small. 

Yeah, it’s **** all.

Just something for the traditionalists to get annoyed about. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, it’s **** all.

Just something for the traditionalists to get annoyed about. 

Yeah but when 7 year old little Alfie whips in a peach of a cross 8 year old little Tomy can't rise like a salmon to nod it in to the onion bag

I'll admit my watching and therefore knowledge of kids football isn't that great but I've never seen either of those 2 things ever happen 

They ain't playing like prime Stoke

On 17/05/2024 at 12:38, Avfc96 said:

Didn't Bannan get found guilty of drink driving when he was playing for us.

That said I do think the optics of any Prem club actively wanting to sign Greenwood and the ensuring fall out will mean those moves fall through so think he'll just continue playing abroad for rest of his career.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Bannan get found guilty of drink driving when he was playing for us.

That said I do think the optics of any Prem club actively wanting to sign Greenwood and the ensuring fall out will mean those moves fall through so think he'll just continue playing abroad for rest of his career.

Grealish also did,  but wasn't found guilty because he fled the scene. I recall being one of about only three people that seemed to care in the Grealish thread, although there were a few that decided to hold judgement because he wasn't found guilty. 

Football is full of scumbags, its just the way it is. Grealish does at least seem to care about those in need when he's not had a drink.

Greenwood is clearly another level though, and is be disgusted if we signed him. Thankfully, I don't think we or any other Premier league team ever will. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Its very likely that Greenwood had done what he was allegedly doing in the recording clip many times before to prompt his partner to sense it was about to happen and record it for evidence.

Once is bad enough, but it must have been many times. Absolute vile scum.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Â