The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

5 **** months?! **** hell.

I understand wariness about affirmative action/positive discrimination, but it is noteworthy how all of our refs are old white blokes. Have we had a single black or asian ref since Uriah Rennie? That was 25 **** years ago, and I can't think of one.

I don't think all of it is institutional racism, when you go to a game and see how much abuse a ref gets game to game, you've got to have thick skin even without being targeted for being a minority, I can't imagine how much harder it is to stick with it and climb the ranks when you end up getting racist abuse week in, week out

I feel like there's something quite retro about 'well I wouldn't see you in the dark, would I' as a form of racism. In a world of constantly evolving bigotry, this guy has steadfastly refused to update his racism since 'Love Thy Neighbour' was on air. The dinosaur's dinosaur. 

• Like 1

You can imagine the replies to villas social media posting about the villa and proud fan group having a good time at brum pride this weekend... 

My favourite probably being "leave that stuff to Birmingham City supporters" 

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

5 **** months?! **** hell.

I understand wariness about affirmative action/positive discrimination, but it is noteworthy how all of our refs are old white blokes. Have we had a single black or asian ref since Uriah Rennie? That was 25 **** years ago, and I can't think of one.

I don't think all of it is institutional racism, when you go to a game and see how much abuse a ref gets game to game, you've got to have thick skin even without being targeted for being a minority, I can't imagine how much harder it is to stick with it and climb the ranks when you end up getting racist abuse week in, week out

He’s now been sacked. But it raises serious questions about how they protect Black and Asian who want to officiate. That type of racism is cut from the cloth of the 70s, clearly someone with a deeply rooted problem. Hopefully, the FA can be self reflective and take steps to make internal changes and remove any institutionalised behaviours. 

On 24/05/2024 at 20:42, The_Steve said:

Disgraceful racism 

No no no, 5 months for a lifetime of bigotry that's deeply engrained? Should never be allowed in that position ever again.

Jeez, why do they have to keep mucking about with rule changes?

They will end up driving fans away from the game!!!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, imavillan said:

We need a fixed clock badly, rolling subs can't be a bad thing either, self pass sure I guess - if someone is clipped on the break they can get up and carry on so that helps combat the cynical challenge slightly.

Sin bins - depends, I've perhaps wanted it before but I don't feel comfortable giving the referees extra responsibility given the current standards.

Kick-ins - no, I don't think the ball going out of touch in the last 30 yards of the pitch should work effectively like a corner or a wide free kick. Unless it has to be played along the ground or another self pass I suppose.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

I often think to myself that the main problem with football is not systemic financial corruption, it's throw ins. I for one welcome these vapid, ill conceived changes made by admin staff with access to powerpoint. It's the future. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Seeding the Carabao Cup 3rd round for European teams

Just allow scum 6 automatic quarter final entry at this stage

Said for a long time the way to fix that cup and to make it interesting in to take the European teams out of it all together, it would have a huge impact on English football

seems like same as always they can see problems but the solutions to those problems make things worse not better and introduces something no one wants 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said for a long time the way to fix that cup and to make it interesting in to take the European teams out of it all together, it would have a huge impact on English football

seems like same as always they can see problems but the solutions to those problems make things worse not better and introduces something no one wants 

A lot of comments under article said same thing or give it a Champions League spot

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A lot of comments under article said same thing or give it a Champions League spot

Champions league is a bit far and I can see why that would be met with resistance, the league cup should get the conference spot

Top 4 CL

5th and FA cup winner (or 6th) EL

League cup winner ECL 

It would not only save the league cup but it would be hugely positive for the PL too 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Champions league is a bit far and I can see why that would be met with resistance, the league cup should get the conference spot

Top 4 CL

5th and FA cup winner (or 6th) EL

League cup winner ECL 

It would not only save the league cup but it would be hugely positive for the PL too 

And it would help stop the ECL being won easily by the PL team 👀

• Sad 1

Â