Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Kind of a sublime to ridiculous performance. Some moments of real quality, and more moments of utter shitness, looked exhausted. 

It was a bit of both, I agree.

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

Probs a daft question, but I don’t really know the workings... do we have to jump through any hoops to be able to keep Snoddy (and the other loan players) for the playoffs?

5 Million golden coloured metal hoops filled with silver coloured metal (pound coins in other words) I believe will do the trick if I remember details correctly around the time that we signed him. 

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Without a fullback that is able to overlap and attack, he is useless. We need a player like Elmo playing with him or else he will look poor. 

Very much this, not useless by any means but not as effective. He is so one footed that he's predictable but if you have the overlap available that's greatly dimished. 

In saying that I think he has also helped elmos game too for the same reason.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

Doing the man a massive disservice tbf. The amount of times he's able to wriggle free and get past his man on his own, to create goals or score them himself etc. Few bad games, where he has still ran himself into the ground despite being knackered, and he's now useless. Absolute tripe.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2018 at 11:06, Tayls said:

Probs a daft question, but I don’t really know the workings... do we have to jump through any hoops to be able to keep Snoddy (and the other loan players) for the playoffs?

No they are here until the season ends which includes play offs if needed .

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Doing the man a massive disservice tbf. The amount of times he's able to wriggle free and get past his man on his own, to create goals or score them himself etc. Few bad games, where he has still ran himself into the ground despite being knackered, and he's now useless. Absolute tripe.

Uh no. That isn't what I was saying at all. I love Snodgrass. I think he is fantastic for us, but without a fullback that overlaps, he is often outnumbered on the attack, and Snodgrass doesn't have pace to beat players. He is also very one dimensional. When it's a 1v1, Snodgrass can out dribble a defender, but when it's a 2v1, Snodgrass can't do much. This season Snodgrass has played with Axel, Hutton, and Elmo. Snodgrass has consistently had good matches with Elmo behind him and really only Elmo. 

What I am saying is we need to have a back up, or even an improved replacement for Elmo even if we don't go up (assuming we keep Snodgrass). 

If we are confirmed playoffs, we need to give him a weeks rest, he never stops running, even if he isn't playing great, he puts an absolute shift in, chasing 3 players with the ball on Friday night after 90 mins, exactly what you need to do, but you see very often, it's not done.

• Like 3

I really hope we rest him now. He will be hugely important for us in the playoffs and we should look to keep him sharp. Looked a bit fatigued against Leeds, so rest the poor sod Bruce! I know he's inspirational due to his graft, but rest him nonetheless!

18 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Uh no. That isn't what I was saying at all. I love Snodgrass. I think he is fantastic for us, but without a fullback that overlaps, he is often outnumbered on the attack, and Snodgrass doesn't have pace to beat players. He is also very one dimensional. When it's a 1v1, Snodgrass can out dribble a defender, but when it's a 2v1, Snodgrass can't do much. This season Snodgrass has played with Axel, Hutton, and Elmo. Snodgrass has consistently had good matches with Elmo behind him and really only Elmo. 

What I am saying is we need to have a back up, or even an improved replacement for Elmo even if we don't go up (assuming we keep Snodgrass). 

That's a redundant statement though, most wingers struggle when they're doubled up on. 

You said that he was useless without a RB overlapping. I disagree. 

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

That's a redundant statement though, most wingers struggle when they're doubled up on. 

You said that he was useless without a RB overlapping. I disagree. 

Look at Snodgrass stats with Elmo starting versus Hutton or Axel starting. The majority of Snodgrass' assists have come when Elmo has started at right back. He desperately needs someone overlapping him and supporting him. 

14 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Look at Snodgrass stats with Elmo starting versus Hutton or Axel starting. The majority of Snodgrass' assists have come when Elmo has started at right back. He desperately needs someone overlapping him and supporting him. 

That's true, I would definitely agree with you there but I still think it's only natural for a winger to be more effective with an overlapping, supporting full back. I don't think it should count as a black mark against Snodgrass.

So they want 12 million for him?! Are West Ham crazy? He is going to be 31 next season, has played in the championship the whole last season, and they bought Snodgrass last January for only 10 million when he was a premier league player. 

Snodgrass has been good for us, but there is no reason for his price tag to have gone up...

11 hours ago, Czechlad said:

So they want 12 million for him?! Are West Ham crazy? He is going to be 31 next season, has played in the championship the whole last season, and they bought Snodgrass last January for only 10 million when he was a premier league player. 

Snodgrass has been good for us, but there is no reason for his price tag to have gone up...

He's not a player we should be signing. We don't want a 31 year old winger on high wages, a long contract (he will want a 3 year deal minimum) with no resale value. The money we will have should be spent elsewhere. It's yet another reason why I want Bruce gone because he will overpay for players like snodgrass.

• Like 2

Â