• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I see his name mentioned but I am sure Wilder is a huge Sheffield United fan and fact took them years get out of League 1, I doubt he be in a hurry to leave

good manager though

He is a Sheffield Utd fan. He did an amazing job at Northampton Town beforehand getting them promoted, while the club was in turmoil over dodgy dealings involving the new stand build and money going missing.

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have been reflecting on this and come to this conclusion. 

There are no guarantees. You can bring in a "name" or someone experienced in English football or someone experienced in the championship or someone who has had such single good year or someone who has had several good years.  All of that and they may work or they may be failures. 

You can bring in someone unknown or someone from a small league or someone successful from a foreign league or appoint someone's assistant and they may work or they may be failures. 

There are no guarantees or even better bets either way. 

Therefore I say get in Mellberg.  He may be no good, but he may be the best thing ever. 

At least fans will give him some slack.  He's done well so far and as far as I can tell no bigger gamble than anyone else we are likely to get. 

I agree. There isn't one realistically credible candidate in this thread. For that reason I'd go for Mellberg or Laursen. It would provide a bond between the fans and manger, and some emotional investment, if nothing else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

I agree. There isn't one realistically credible candidate in this thread. For that reason I'd go for Mellberg or Laursen. It would provide a bond between the fans and manger, and some emotional investment, if nothing else. 

Plus we would give them time and believe that they are an integral part of the Villa machine, two idolised Villa players would absolutely re-unite the fan base. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

MON was at VP last night apparently...almost certainly to watch his ROI players, but....I'm sure he's met Xia...should a MON return be ruled out entirely?

Marlon Harewood (He actually was) was there too, we are bringing the old guard back. Milner, Young, Carew, Barry,  Didier Agathe to follow.

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

This notion we don't give managers time is a load of crap. RDM aside all have had long enough to prove they weren't good enough. RDM was sacked because of a slow start but that was as much the board panicking as anything. Bruce has had 11 months without improvement. If Mellberg wanted the job and ticked the boxes I'd have him on ability not sentiment. Dean Smith a Villa fan could be a better option and tick your bond with fans box. Ultimately we need a. Manager that knows how he wants to play and how to get his team to do it something I thought Bruce could do with all his experience. 

6 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

A 48% win ratio means nothing when you finish13th.

And he achieved it with one of the best squads in the Championship.

Yes, but divvy that out to include the other 11 games as a projection  and we wouldn't have finished 13th

you are comparing win ratio and league position 2 different measurements over 2 different quantity of games....35 v 46.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes, but divvy that out to include the other 11 games as a projection  and we wouldn't have finished 13th

you are comparing win ratio and league position 2 different measurements over 2 different quantity of games....35 v 46.

Or add those 35 to these 7 and see where we would have finished over his 42 games ? 

Not in the top half I fear .

However we dress it up the facts are after 42 games in charge he's made little improvement if any at all .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would anyone have MON back?

No. No. No. No. No. 

As well as throwing his toys out of the pram on the eve of the season, he's been mediocre at best since. His time has passed. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

No. No. No. No. No. 

As well as throwing his toys out of the pram on the eve of the season, he's been mediocre at best since. His time has passed. 

Yes, but do you think it could happen? If MON came back? I wonder if he'd come back. 

I'm curious as to why exactly Dr. Xia has followed Pep Clotet (would welcome him here) on Twitter (but worryingly so, Rene Meulensteen too)

P.S. Why the **** are Bruce and co. still here ?:angry:

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

I see his name mentioned but I am sure Wilder is a huge Sheffield United fan and fact took them years get out of League 1, I doubt he be in a hurry to leave

good manager though

I think he also used to play for them. 15+ years experience, and never been sacked, apparently.