• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Pity he's not ruthless as a chairman in football - football is very different to his other businesses - maybe he's put his trust in the wrong people . 

Maybe weak is the wrong word but I sense he probably  knows he's made a mistake and rather than correcting it is hoping it will all come good in the wash - a forlorn  hope . 

oh i don't think he is bereft of ruthless.....but ruthless has to be tempered with prudent.

He will make his move at the right time to suit him.

decision making is the bed partner of many, many factors.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No , it's stubbornly damaging to the future of our club .

With all due respect you know nothing about the situation!

He may have someone lined up for all you know...or he may know that literally everyone wont take the job.

So for you to guess that you know better is a bit foolish!

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No , it's stubbornly damaging to the future of our club .

Well, we have our pride and loyalty to worry about and our emotion is precious.....The owner has a vast amount of money and financial commitment at stake in our club and will not want it exposed.

a man who has amassed a fortune on the back of sound decision making and structural building  does not strike me as a person to lose it all on the business of sacking or backing the football manager. He will have many advisors to the very subject, so I guess he will be watching the situation very carefully.

43 minutes ago, Nigel said:

With all due respect you know nothing about the situation!

He may have someone lined up for all you know...or he may know that literally everyone wont take the job.

So for you to guess that you know better is a bit foolish!

I know Steve Bruce is still at the helm , and the way things are looking , right now , our future doesn't look too bright , and with all due respect , didn't you yourself say Xia could be accused of being " stubborn ", I also know we have a miserly 7 points ,and there doesn't seem to be much hope of things improving . 

That is the situation ,so for you to say I know nothing is a bit foolish !:P

Tried to see what managers are currently out of work who might be able to do the job. 

The list is depressing... 

Best article found was a piece in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/21/15-currently-unemployed-managers-could-do-job-premier-league/  for those intrigued - it is one where each page is a different manager and short piece on them which is rather annoying). Obviously a couple on the list probably out of reach (e.g. Claude Puel [I know he is in the poll but doubt he would come here]) and some already have other jobs (e.g. Pellegrino) or already in and out of jobs (De Boer) but can probably distilled to those likely to be linked at some point: 

1. Nigel Pearson
  2. Aitor Karanka
  3. Alan Pardew
  4. Mike Phelan
  5. David Moyes
  6. Ryan Giggs

When you think that Pardew is probably the best of a bad bunch... Villa really have scraped the bottom of the barrel. Giggs may be funny for a while but he is an utter unknown, good players often don't make good managers. Besides I think it would be more fun for someone like Mellberg to get the job instead. 

I remain unconvinced that Smith could handle to job and I think Stam is too set into Reading. To me, Jokanović, is the only name that 1) seems "gettable" and 2) that might actually do the job. 

If others have any suggestions that would be great as I would like a list longer than 1 name. 

We've tried young and hungry, we've tried experienced and steady.

Nothing seems to work but sure, let's keep changing Manager and coaching staff.

What's that saying? 'Constantly repeating the same actions and hoping for a better outcome is insanity defined' (or something like that).

Funnily enough, there is one thing that has remained, one thing that has transcended the managerial changes, the changes in ownership, the changes in playing staff, the changes in league status.......and no, it's not the fans - it's Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Ergo, it's definitely all Gabby's fault.

This could be a 'rose tinted' glasses moment, but could Mellberg do the job with an experienced coach alongside him?  I've no idea if he's been doing a good coaching job or not, but one thing is for sure, the fans would get right behind him.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

This could be a 'rose tinted' glasses moment, but could Mellberg do the job with an experienced coach alongside him?  I've no idea if he's been doing a good coaching job or not, but one thing is for sure, the fans would get right behind him.  

I think he is 3-4 seasons away from being ready yet.

He'll likely make a move for next season within Sweden, hopefully he'll do well there for a few seasons and then he might be ready.

I do think and hope he will have a bright future in management. But Villa might be a step too soon.

All IMO. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I know Steve Bruce is still at the helm , and the way things are looking , right now , our future doesn't look too bright , and with all due respect , didn't you yourself say Xia could be accused of being " stubborn ", I also know we have a miserly 7 points ,and there doesn't seem to be much hope of things improving . 

That is the situation ,so for you to say I know nothing is a bit foolish !:P

So if there is no one willing to take the job should he still fire Bruce? If hes waiting on a manger he thinks the best option should he fire him this second and go for another option?

Of course i dont know thats the case but neither does anybody here....and thats where i was including you too!

Id guess that Tony hasnt got where hes got my making foolish decisions though, and since he wants what i want Im willing to go with his (far more informed) choice.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

You make some very valid points.....and clearly things are not right in terms of a cohesive team unit.

I seen an improvement last Night in comparison to a very worrying display against Brentford.....I believe we have a number of problems and then further sub problems, but a couple of the main ones

• We can't seem to find the space that allows our superior technical ability to shine through and sometimes fail to exert the same urgency in closing the opposition down and deny them space that they do to us.
  • The other thing is this, we have players who are incomplete and subsequently you change one to gain something and lose something else.....in that sense, to many samey players who are no better than each other and consequently have minimal affect on the team performance and subsequent result....good players but lack that something, someone else has got in the squad.

I am not particularly enamoured in keep changing managers, but accept the argument that not changing for just that reason is shallow.

I hear all the arguments and some have merit, some are just frustration being aired.....I am not privvy to what happens at BMH or privvy to what the players think, but hey that are usually driven by self interest anyway, so not much comfort there.

I would like to mention something that does bother me though and this is in no way trying to negate Steve Bruces down sides, just trying to put some perspective forward.

I think Steve Bruce is doing worse at Present than last Season, here's the reason why,

He came in where I didn't know a win was coming from and arrested the slide and certain introduction of resilience came in to the side, but I would accept the defence was governed by more staff deployed to it, leving the attack under staffed.

However, despite losing his 2 best players who were easily the standout versions, he hit Dec & January like the ugly face of "IRMA" .....We was clearly flirting with pre Bruce form, but season end he acheived 15 wins from 31 games he presided over in overall terms that is a 48% win ratio.....I accept Win ratio's are not the be all and end all.....but I would equally say its folly to ignore or dismiss them.That ratio stands in good stead in Villa folklore.

This is where I have a tad of empathy with the club.....To dismiss him for that would not fit in well with the industry for further recruitment of his replacement and it may even promote "the job" as a poisoned chalice.

I have equal amounts of empathy for fans who pay good money to go and watch debacles at Cardiff, Reading and Brentford.....and it is also reasonable to say, it can't go on.

I would like him to somehow, get a message across to us of why we are in this situation, in terms that do not incriminate anyone, because we know you can't really do that and the whole question falls flat.

The situation must improve for the future of the club.....I think we all know that, its just a question of hitting on the right solution.

just remember a problem is only a solution waiting to manifest itself.

A 48% win ratio means nothing when you finish13th.

And he achieved it with one of the best squads in the Championship.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I have seen teams struggle against 10 men and so did we.....I think our problems are other than that.

I think Norwich contributed heavily towards our win and that is not trying to take anything away from Bruce or the players.

We have highlighted umpteen times.....give us space and we will perform.....We have got to learn how to work for that Valuable space and then exploit it.....It is abundantly clear to me the word has got round stifle Villa and you will stop them.

We have to circumnavigate this achilles heel.

And I think that Bruce being forced, because of injuries to his luvvies, to do something different contributed heavily.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

the Mrs is out I'm bored and my team don't help.

I was going to go down BMH and let all their tyres down.....with a placard proclaiming " Now you know what is like to be ****** about"

Don't forget to let down Bruce's tyres especially.

20 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I fear he will get another game but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went before Sat.

He is a fat man on thin ice right now.

AffectionateFavorableBetafish-size_restr

59 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So if there is no one willing to take the job should he still fire Bruce? If hes waiting on a manger he thinks the best option should he fire him this second and go for another option?

Of course i dont know thats the case but neither does anybody here....and thats where i was including you too!

Id guess that Tony hasnt got where hes got my making foolish decisions though, and since he wants what i want Im willing to go with his (far more informed) choice.

It's ridiculous to suggest no one wants the job . Dean Smith would run to Villa park ,it's not like there isn't any talent to work with. 

How is it you can guess like you know better ?

I have been reflecting on this and come to this conclusion. 

There are no guarantees. You can bring in a "name" or someone experienced in English football or someone experienced in the championship or someone who has had such single good year or someone who has had several good years.  All of that and they may work or they may be failures. 

You can bring in someone unknown or someone from a small league or someone successful from a foreign league or appoint someone's assistant and they may work or they may be failures. 

There are no guarantees or even better bets either way. 

Therefore I say get in Mellberg.  He may be no good, but he may be the best thing ever. 

At least fans will give him some slack.  He's done well so far and as far as I can tell no bigger gamble than anyone else we are likely to get. 

• Like 1