Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

If he was good enough for the premier league he'd wouldn't be dropping down a division. He's on the decline. 

That's a given. If he was good enough for the Premier League he would not be signing for us. 

The more important question is 'is he good enough for a Championship team pushing for promotion?'.

This must be the most Brucey of Steve Bruce's signings.

He will probably do a decent job and I will cheer him on, but god damn what an uninspiring signing. After having watched our midfield the last 6 months, we are now buying a 33 year old midfielder from Stoke who will provide grit.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

great professional and a very underrated player especially among Ireland fans. I think he will do a good job here but dont think he is type of player we need at the moment to get us promoted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Well Bruce has been backed again so he cannot have any excuses this season

He will always have excuses and they will proballly all fall in line with what most fans will say but its how long before the fans turn and the Doc says its time if things go bad.

2 hours ago, GodsBarkeep said:

Ive read lots of nice and flattering things being said about him in a stoke Twitter feed 'describe whelan in three words'. Words such as 'legend', and 'god' have been bandied about by some stoke fans.

Also, it's worth noting that a couple have posted things like 'only passes sideways' and 'always passes backwards', so he should slot into our squad nicely 

Him and Shawcross are probably the 2 greatest players in Stoke modern history

Given our sorry decline post 2010 Whelan would have been better than most of our central midfielders in that time. Years ago we would have sniffed at a  33 year old Stoke midfielder but things have changed. I think will add some competiton for places. I also think Tishbola is probably next out of the door. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or Stoke are looking to improve on him to make a push for upper mid table, top 6 and he didn't want to accept being a squad player?

So he has good enough for the Premier League 30 out of 38 games last season, but not good enough for us in the Championship this season?

Or as a squad option if we go up?

Yep, they are after Delph...

46 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

This must be the most Brucey of Steve Bruce's signings.

He will probably do a decent job and I will cheer him on, but god damn what an uninspiring signing. After having watched our midfield the last 6 months, we are now buying a 33 year old midfielder from Stoke who will provide grit.

I'd change that last word in your post a bit then fully agree with it.

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Everyone is saying that Whelan is an unfashionable signing but that t-shirt goes alright with those jeans.

what I want to know is how the hell he got into those jeans in the first place! They are tighter than a pair of tights

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's change his name to Glenaldo Whelanhino from the Real Madrid Youth team and see if we get a better reaction from the VT faithful.

:ph34r:

Not too sure of the point here - I'd rather see us signing Real Madrid youth players than 33 year old Stoke rejects every single day of every single week...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not too sure of the point here - I'd rather see us signing Real Madrid youth players than 33 year old Stoke rejects every single day of every single week...

Agree, Glen Whelan was never in his career good enough to be a Real Madrid youth player.

However we wouldn't be able sign players on most days of most weeks as the transfer window would be closed :P

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fair point, it's well documented that the lads over at Real Madrid are just itching to swap the Bernabeu for the bullring........ 

Â