Glenn Whelan

Jareth

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

Can’t help wondering if he’s maybe been encouraged to be more than a destructive DM.

Gives the appearance of someone relishing the opportunity to show more of his skills.

Well, as has been mentioned a few times by pundits etc he started out as an attacking midfielder apparently so he must have that in his locker somewhere.

He looked knackered at the end of the Ireland game so probably shafted us a bit there but fair play to him for getting back into the national side, albeit a squad lacking quality admittedly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, as has been mentioned a few times by pundits etc he started out as an attacking midfielder apparently so he must have that in his locker somewhere.

He looked knackered at the end of the Ireland game so probably shafted us a bit there but fair play to him for getting back into the national side, albeit a squad lacking quality admittedly.

Yeh Hourihane will probably get the nod although he also played 90 minutes in both games.

First time I have ever heard the crowd cheer his name at Villa park, for me.

First time the woman behind me said his name and didn't follow it with 'argh you clearing in the woods'

Good times man, good times. I thought he was shot to bits at Christmas and now look at him. 

• Like 3

Looks 30% fitter and more mobile than when we bought him. 

You’d have to assume Stoke had all the latest gadgets but if there is something like those cryochambers that we’ve been using and they haven’t it’s a hell of an advert. 

12 minutes ago, villaglint said:

You’d have to assume Stoke had all the latest gadgets but if there is something like those cryochambers that we’ve been using and they haven’t it’s a hell of an advert. 

It’s because we are attacking and defending as a team so he is not getting over run in the middle. For once there’s no passengers.

Jack and Mcginn are always close by when we lose the ball.  When it was Whelan and Hourihane he would get more exposed.

Whelan has always read the game well and done the simple things effectively. He struggled when he got isolated against pace.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s because we are attacking and defending as a team so he is not getting over run in the middle. For once there’s no passengers.

Jack and Mcginn are always close by when we lose the ball.  When it was Whelan and Hourihane he would get more exposed.

Whelan has always read the game well and done the simple things effectively. He struggled when he got isolated against pace.

I think there is more to it than that. He himself looks very different athletically to me at least. I remember watching him about 5 games into his Villa career and he looked like me trying to play 90mins after running a half marathon the day before. He looked like an old man who knew where to be but always seemed to get there a yard of the pace. Now no doubt McGinn and Jack must be lovely to play with but the guy looks likes he getting younger now rather than older which at his age is no mean feat. Maybe he’s taken up yoga which did so much for Giggs in his last few years. I’d love to know his fitness/recovery regime. 

Edited by villaglint

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still have reservations about the flanks, being as industrious and productive as they could be.....the crosses could be better quality from them and they could put themselves about more to help the middle.

back to Glenn , he read the game superbly well and intercepted at crucial times....making things look simple....he recycled the ball to perfection....great game for him and the Holte End told him so.

possibly MOTM...followed very,very closely by Mings & McGinn.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, thejoker said:

Isn’t it amazing what a bit of coaching can do? He looks unrecognisable compared to any point during Steve Bruce’s reign.

I hope you are right....but Mings and Hause never played for Bruce so maybe they have had an effect too.

Players have a huge effect on other players.

• Like 1

He certainly makes our best 11, and if we got to Wembley I'd want him starting.

Smith needs be clever with rotation during the run in however because he simply can't give you that sort of energy week in week in out for 90mind. Starting yesterday was no brainer given that he wasn't involved internationally, I just hope he is taken out of the team from time to time over the next weeks to give him a little rest. 

2 hours ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Fantastic again yesterday. Not much between him, McGinn and Mings for MOTM

Whelan did the simple things. McGinn and Mings did the difficult things.

McGinn and Mings played miles better imo

Having someone do the simple thing in the middle of the pitch is one of the most necessary things in football.

I've been very critical of Whelan but he was immense yesterday, easily MOTM for me, he just did everything that I want a DM to do, mopped up everything when there was sloppy possession, his positioning was fantastic, contributed in holding the ball. 

Best I've ever seen him play easily. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, villaglint said:

Probably gone vegan, I cannot speak from experience but if other athletes are to be believed it turns you into a combination of Thor and Flash 20 minuted after becoming one.

• Like 1

Â