Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 hours ago, av1 said:

He certainly makes our best 11, and if we got to Wembley I'd want him starting.

Smith needs be clever with rotation during the run in however because he simply can't give you that sort of energy week in week in out for 90mind. Starting yesterday was no brainer given that he wasn't involved internationally, I just hope he is taken out of the team from time to time over the next weeks to give him a little rest. 

Glenn may not have the legs.....but he has a football brain and acts like Petrov a "pick pocket"..... he intercepts with a great reading of the game.

it can't be under estimated what he does.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Whelan did the simple things. McGinn and Mings did the difficult things.

McGinn and Mings played miles better imo

Haha..... you think they are simple.....most clever people make things look simple.

I am not getting in to debate of who was best.....the 3 were magnificent....my point is Mings and McGinn have always caught the eye and rightfully so, i love both of their play....Glenn has struggled, but right now he is the most improved player in the club....hope he can keep it up.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Having someone do the simple thing in the middle of the pitch is one of the most necessary things in football.

I've been very critical of Whelan but he was immense yesterday, easily MOTM for me, he just did everything that I want a DM to do, mopped up everything when there was sloppy possession, his positioning was fantastic, contributed in holding the ball. 

Best I've ever seen him play easily. 

Ditto.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Haha..... you think they are simple.....most clever people make things look simple.

I am not getting in to debate of who was best.....the 3 were magnificent....my point is Mings and McGinn have always caught the eye and rightfully so, i love both of their play....Glenn has struggled, but right now he is the most improved player in the club....hope he can keep it up.

Im not saying Whelan played badly. I thought he played very well, but in my opinion McGinn and Mings performance were better. It's all a matter of opinions mate.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

It is quite simple, the game is a lot easier when you have the ball, at any level. I am learning that myself as the years roll on.

If everyone is on the same wavelength and everyone is organized you are not constantly caught two on one. You don't need to break your neck to get back into position (or cover someone else)

If you are moving the ball quickly and sharply you don't need to run yourself into the ground. A nice gentle jog will do it. If you keep the ball for periods of a time and aren't chasing you are not always running on empty.

If you have an aging team, are happy to surrender possession and sit back...you are going to find yourself chasing the ball, and at 35...you are going to end up looking like a ***t no matter what.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is quite simple, the game is a lot easier when you have the ball, at any level. I am learning that myself as the years roll on.

If everyone is on the same wavelength and everyone is organized you are not constantly caught two on one. You don't need to break your neck to get back into position (or cover someone else)

If you are moving the ball quickly and sharply you don't need to run yourself into the ground. A nice gentle jog will do it. If you keep the ball for periods of a time and aren't chasing you are not always running on empty.

If you have an aging team, are happy to surrender possession and sit back...you are going to find yourself chasing the ball, and at 35...you are going to end up looking like a ***t no matter what.

Very much this.

It also looks like his fitness level has improved a bit as he has more spring in his step, or he might have been carrying some minor injury that hampered him up until recently.

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

its not wrong what you are saying.

but whatever the age ....if you don't win the ball or chase and harry, the opposition will......Its clear since Mings & Hause is winning so much aerial ball, things have changed and the midfield are generally coping better.....However,we nearly tossed away a win that should have been nailed on.

Blackburn in the last 15 minutes seized the initiative and was keeping the ball, when we was giving it away.....our legs had gone and I am not sure why, they still looked relatively fresh.....We can talk about missed opportunities and how that affects the game, but we were out of gas and they wasn't......in the last 15 they had 3 players on our player in possession, how could they afford that and why we couldn't.....its only when McGinn picked up the gauntlet and ran to the corner flag did we look as though we could see the game out.....too many became observers and not doers.

If we want to secure a play off place, we can't do that.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

First player I'd replace. 

Micah_richards_3511171b.jpg

Edited by TB
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/12019414/Micah-Richards-Too-many-Aston-Villa-players-are-not-willing-to-run-the-extra-yard.html
  • Haha 1

On 30/03/2019 at 22:52, thejoker said:

Isn’t it amazing what a bit of coaching can do? He looks unrecognisable compared to any point during Steve Bruce’s reign.

Not really.

He does seem to have stepped it up a bit recently, but the biggest difference is he's shaken the scapegoat tag that many fans placed on him after a couple of games.

He was good for most of Bruce's reign, people just didn't want to admit it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really.

He does seem to have stepped it up a bit recently, but the biggest difference is he's shaken the scapegoat tag that many fans placed on him after a couple of games.

Not really.

He was largely functional and ugly under Bruce. Just like everything we did under him.

He's been brilliant in this attacking team recently. Great to see us play some football finally. It's something we can all enjoy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not really.

He was largely functional and ugly under Bruce. Just like everything we did under him.

He's been brilliant in this attacking team recently. Great to see us play some football finally. It's something we can all enjoy.

I mentioned it before but I think one of the reasons he has excelled is he has Grealish and Mcginn constantly tracking to support him. He struggles when he is pressed or isolated by pacey players. When we are on the front foot he can sit in that deeper position and pick up lose balls to keep the pressure on. 

He is playing in a very intelligent way at the moment which is manageable for his age because he is reading the game so well.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not really.

I'm not sure you're disagreeing with me there.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Is making hard to just let him go at the end of the season but I don't think we can afford to get sentimental.

Dude he is 35.

He's done a job this season but my god, no way should we offer him a new contract.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Dude he is 35.

He's done a job this season but my god, no way should we offer him a new contract.

That's why I said we can't afford to get sentimental.

I do like the fact that Villa have a player that is older than me though.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

That's why I said we can't afford to get sentimental.

I do like the fact that Villa have a player that is older than me though.

Yes. 

Need to be ruthless, same goes with players like Hutton, Taylor and possibly Elmo

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yes. 

Need to be ruthless, same goes with players like Hutton, Taylor and possibly Elmo

Only Hutton is out of contract out of them although if someone comes in for the latter two we should let them go.

I think the thing we're seeing, not just for Glenn, is confidence and trust. 

These players are all good players, arguably a tier above what is opposite them on a weekly basis, but I think we're only really now starting to believe it. 

We need to ensure there is no over-confidence, because we're not that good - but we definitely should have a bit of swagger. 

People like Glenn will be really good influences and keeping his younger peers down to earth, whilst still maintaining belief. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really.

He was 'ok' under SB but always had a major **** up in him.  Some suicidal backpasses stand out in my mind.

I'd say he is now playing 'good', but as others have mentioned, i think this is a result of the settled defence.  He has less to do and more confidence in those behind him.  I do agree though that he looks much fitter!

• Like 2

Â